Ideas for Vitamin A & Potassium

Options
Anyone have suggestions on foods high in Vitamin A and/or Potassium. ...other than carrots and bananas?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Organ meats have some of the highest levels a vitamin A around. I was a bit low in A and my doctor keeps telling me to eat liver - I just can't do it. Yuck.
  • Lilblubug
    Lilblubug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree. ..liver is out of the question. My mom used to eat liver and onions periodically. I couldn't stand to be in the house when she was cooking. ...GROSS
  • Lilblubug
    Lilblubug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That leads to another question. ..won't potatoes increase carbs / sugars ?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Vitamin A - canned pumpkin, fish, cantaloupe, winter squashes (butternut, buttercup, acorn)
    Potassium - mushrooms, avocado, kidney beans, spinach, yogurt

Sweet potatoes will do you well on both!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Lilblubug wrote: »
    I agree. ..liver is out of the question. My mom used to eat liver and onions periodically. I couldn't stand to be in the house when she was cooking. ...GROSS

Me too! I bought myself a liver wurst last week but I haven't been able to bring myself to try it yet. LOL

Vitamin A is found in most animal sources, and often at higher levels than the veggies and fruit which have it, like carrots, greens, pepper, etc.

Avocado, fish, yogurt, and greens are good low carb sources of potassium.

An extra vitamin with K, Mg, Ca can help the body switch to low carb easier. Extra sodium can help too.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That leads to another question. ..won't potatoes increase carbs / sugars ?

One must have carbs to survive. It is the body's primary energy source. Carbs are not evil. As long as you balance your macro's by accepted ranges (or follow doc/dietitian advice if you are on special numbers for medical reasons) then it is fine. Potatos are yummy. Of course, if you load 'em up with sour cream and butter you add much fat and calories, but that isn't the potato's fault.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You've gotten some good answers, OP. Potatoes are my favorite source of K and not as unhealthy as people say. Potatos get a bad rap. They aren't causing problems - it's the crap people pile onto them that drags them down.
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Organ meats have some of the highest levels a vitamin A around. I was a bit low in A and my doctor keeps telling me to eat liver - I just can't do it. Yuck.
    Liver sausage...while not what I'd call "healthy" by any stretch - is more palatable than actual organ meat. And high in A. :)

I am not a fan of organ meat. Too gamey or whatever you want to call it for me. But I could eat liver sausage all day, every day...if I could, I would eat it all the time. :)

• JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    100% coconut water for potassium. It's very refreshing and a good substitute for juice or other sugary drinks!
  • nvmomketo
    Options

One must have carbs to survive. It is the body's primary energy source. Carbs are not evil. As long as you balance your macro's by accepted ranges (or follow doc/dietitian advice if you are on special numbers for medical reasons) then it is fine.

This technically isn't true. Carbs are the one macros humans don't need to survive because the body can produce glucose from protein. Glucose is the body's primary energy source but it will change to fat burning when carbs are unavailable.

Most people eat carbs because they are tasty, an easy energy source, it's the way they've always eaten, and because carbs are often less expensive than fats and protein. Most people are just happier with carbs. JMO
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You've gotten some good answers, OP. Potatoes are my favorite source of K and not as unhealthy as people say. Potatos get a bad rap. They aren't causing problems - it's the crap people pile onto them that drags them down.
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Liver sausage...while not what I'd call "healthy" by any stretch - is more palatable than actual organ meat. And high in A. :)

I am not a fan of organ meat. Too gamey or whatever you want to call it for me. But I could eat liver sausage all day, every day...if I could, I would eat it all the time. :)

I'll have to try my liverwurst (in moderation) then... Liver - the word's like a mental block to me. LOL ;)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    100% coconut water for potassium. It's very refreshing and a good substitute for juice or other sugary drinks!

I didn't know that. Do you know if the potassium is added in or naturally occurring? I love coconut cream so I was wondering if I am getting a K boost from that.