EGGS

Options
freak4iron
freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Do you think it's dangerous or unhealthy to eat a *kitten* to of eggs? I go through a 5 dozen box 7-10 days. I thought eggs have the "good cholesterol" in them? When I looked it up online I found mixed opinions. So are they good o bad?

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get just as many mixed opinions here too...

I say there's nothing wrong with eating a lot of eggs. Go for it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dietary cholesterol plays little roll in blood serum levels...this has all been dispelled long ago. the FDA is in process of dropping it from food labels altogether. the U.S. is one of the only countries in the world that ever paid it any mind.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    My husband's doctor recently told him that "eggs are pretty much the perfect food - eat as many as you want, as often as you want." So we happily chow through close to 2 dozen a week as a family :)
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    dietary cholesterol plays little roll in blood serum levels...this has all been dispelled long ago. the FDA is in process of dropping it from food labels altogether. the U.S. is one of the only countries in the world that ever paid it any mind.

Best news Ive heard all day ;)
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    it didn't hurt Cool Hand Luke
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I suspect that whole cholesterol thing was cooked up by some other branch of the food industry, like chicken producers, so people would stop eating eggs and eat more chicken. Just my opinion. I LOVE eggs.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's true that egg yolks are probably not as bad as we thought they were, but that doesn't mean eating 3+ eggs a day is a good idea.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    it didn't hurt Cool Hand Luke

well, he did look a little "green" afterward
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You're fine. We seem to forget that cholesterol is a building block for hormones. There is good and bad stuff. Trans fat are the enemy now. Deep fried and margarines. If you want to add an extra punch to your nutrition look for local eggs or pastured raised.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Since we are all in such a good mood about eating lots of eggs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmqTHrAeuf0
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The only problem I can think of is the smelly farts.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    Since we are all in such a good mood about eating lots of eggs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmqTHrAeuf0

Awesome post!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    "A box without hinges, key, or lid, Yet golden treasure inside is hid." - Bilbo Baggins

Not sure 6-10 a day is optimal, but you could do worse for supplementary protein sources to boost your intake.

I eat ~ a dozen a week for breakfast, plus whatever I get incidently as a cooking ingredient in other foods, like breads or muffins.

Yes, they have reversed the official position on dietary cholesterol, and eggs are more HDL than LDL if I recall correctly. If your worried about the cholesterol thou, separate some of the yolks out ( 99% is in there ).

USDA RDA used to be 300mg/day, but that is probably changing or going to change soon.
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i like eggs
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-4 a day and my cholesterol numbers are stable. I do mix them with eggbeaters when I want a omelette or something with closer to 4 eggs in order to stay within my fat macro for the day, but that is the only reason. I love eggs. I could go without meat if I had to, as long as I could keep my eggs and dairy.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Opinions on this do not matter. Only your cholesterol levels and total fat intake matter. Luckily, both are measurable.

Enjoy if it works for your body.

R
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have to buy them 5 dozen at a time because my boyfriend and I go through them at the same rate you do!
  • pamela_73
    pamela_73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me 6-9 eggs a day seems ok. We go through about 4.5 dozen in a week with a 4 person family so we eat a lot but not as much as you. Still, I think eggs are awesome, I've always eaten a lot and I am in great health.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I love eggs. The nutrient to calorie ratio is pretty terrific too. A couple years ago my cholesterol was really high but my doctor didn't say anything about eggs. Only saturated fat in the form of butter and the like. Removing that plus phytosterol supplements dropped me into excellent numbers.

Not that I need to be eating butter anyway. That could be dessert calories!