Okay to take a day off? Feeling guilty!

Maybe I'm looking for validation; maybe motivation. But this morning I started a workout and just couldn't finish. I felt fatigued, but not overly so. Just wasn't "feeling" it. So sluggish and reticent. Tried switching to yoga to bring down the intensity thinking an active recovery might help, but nope! I'm so proud of myself for consistently working out these past four months. I've varied forms of exercise and I'm down 26 pounds! But today...is this my body's way of asking for a break? I've powered through low motivation days before, but this feels different!
Thanks for your insight!

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Very possibly! There are some days that I cut a run short because I'm just not "feeling it." Every once and a while, we just need a day off, and that's okay. It's part of the process; rest days are when we heal and get stronger, even if you might feel guilty for doing so. Rest days (even active "rest") should be part of your fitness plan so that your body doesn't force you into one unexpectedly :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    A rest day is good, nothing to feel guilty about and it won't slow down your weight loss.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    It's important to take rest days. I plan one day out of the week where I don't actively exercise. Sometimes we go for a walk or swimming, but for fun and not exercise.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Yes, if you feel fatigue (as opposed to lack of motivation), it is usually your body telling you to rest. I had the same thing happen last Monday. I can usually swim 1.25 miles in 75 minutes and it took me 10 more than usual. My muscles were just tired. I took a rest day the next day and I have been back to normal ever since. My rest day wasn't sitting on my backside all day. I ran errands, did some grocery shopping, picked up and vacuumed the house, did laundry, etc. I ended up with about 5000 steps (as opposed to my usual 15000).
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    I take every Sunday as a rest day from the gym. Sometimes I get antsy and want to go but I, on purpose, stay out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Maybe I'm looking for validation; maybe motivation. But this morning I started a workout and just couldn't finish. I felt fatigued, but not overly so. Just wasn't "feeling" it. So sluggish and reticent. Tried switching to yoga to bring down the intensity thinking an active recovery might help, but nope! I'm so proud of myself for consistently working out these past four months. I've varied forms of exercise and I'm down 26 pounds! But today...is this my body's way of asking for a break? I've powered through low motivation days before, but this feels different!
    Thanks for your insight!

When was the last time you had a rest day?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I always take at least one rest day a week. Sometimes like this week I take two. And next week I'm taking three. Zero guilt - I train brutally hard and know that I'm going to come back stronger for the rest.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Listen to your body! You don't grow in the gym!

R
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited July 2015
    Our body is very good at sending us signals when we need to change what we are doing; resting included.

Be careful not to let your zeal for wanting to be more fit override listening to the important signal(s) your body conveys to you.

Rest days are good.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    rest days are important!! you can't be doing the same intensity every day. rest days are important, just like active recovery days are important. had a big long run one day, the next day you can do yoga. the day after that, do a shorter but intense work out, and the day after that you rest!!

fyi, since most people tend to have a more time to have long workouts on the weekends, a lot of training plans have rest days on monday.
  • ontherunat41
    ontherunat41 Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks for your insight!

Tavistock: I don't remember the last time! I guess this is my big hint.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thanks for your insight!

Tavistock: I don't remember the last time! I guess this is my big hint.

Correct