seem to have hit a wall

Options
For the past 4 months I have been going to the gym at least 5 times a week and I am 4 pounds off losing 2 stone. I have a wedding to go to in 2 weeks and really wanted to lose that 4 pounds by then but in the past 2 weeks i haven't lost any weight. I weigh myself every Saturday at the gym and the scales haven't moved but apparently I have lost 5% off my bmi. I tend to do 15 minutes on the treadmill and 45-60 minutes weight lifting(free weights and machines) and normally when I hit a plateau I mix it up and do more cardio and different exercises with the weights or drop my calorie intake for a couple of days and then I start losing again but this time I just don't seem to be able to push through. Does anyone have any advice/past experience with this?

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Um I'm interested in how your bmi has dropped but your weight hasn't? Have you grown taller?

Ignoring the scales, have you been measuring your thighs, waist etc? You may have lost a bit of size.

What are your eating habits? Because really to lose weight, that kinda starts in the kitchen.

Either way, go you! 5 days a week? That's bleeping awesome! I hope you give yourself a chance to rest and recover

Oops I just read that you tend to drop your calories. Do you weigh your food? Ignore the gym scales and concentrate on the kitchen ones :)
  • ReptileRose
    ReptileRose Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't know how my bmi went down but not my weight I was just going by the scales. I am assuming it is because I have gained quite a bit of muscle but have been losing fat. I haven't really been weighing my food just controlling my portion size and being mindful of what I am eating. Yeh I make sure i get time to recover and if I feel too achy I up my protein intake and/or take a day off the gym. Thanks for the support :D
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your intake accurately? Using a food scale? If you aren't weighing everything or are guessing how much you are eating it is possible that you are eating more than you think you are. I had a similar problem and found that tightening up my logging made a HUGE different.

I hope this helps and you are able to get the weigh off before the wedding! :) Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that you are confusing bmi and body fat %.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think that you are confusing bmi and body fat %.

This. Your BMI is a direct calculation using your height and weight. One variable has to change.

BF‰ is generally independent, and if you're seeing a decrease there, you're winning.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    ...I am assuming it is because I have gained quite a bit of muscle but have been losing fat. I haven't really been weighing my food just controlling my portion size and being mindful of what I am eating. Yeh I make sure i get time to recover and if I feel too achy I up my protein intake and/or take a day off the gym. Thanks for the support :D

Great work on the workouts and losing weight. It's highly unlikely you've gained quite a bit of muscle if you're eating at a deficit.

Unless you start counting calories more accurately you'll never know how much you are eating. Most of weight loss will come from a calorie deficit. You can't out exercise a bad diet.