How to re motivate yourself to workout

Options
So I spent the last three years lifting weights and getting strong. Then last year I had some personal issues happen and I had to stop working out and just focus on life stuff. I'm at the point where I've lost almost 7lbs from just walking and calorie counting. Which is great and I've had results. But for some reason I either have a weird fear of lifting or working out heavier that I just can't seem to get that drive back. Right now my goals are to be thinner vs strong but still it's hard to do much more than walking. Help I've been in this funk for a while.

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    IDK, I love working out. Maybe think about some great workouts you've had in the past and think about how you want to feel that way again.
  • madddfitness
    madddfitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is really hard for women to bulk on just lifting weights alone- you would really have to put on the weight when lifting and eat so many calories for that to happen. It sounds like you want is to be skinny and lean. Using lighter weights but doing more reps can help you maintain a leaner figure but still get the exercise in. Yoga and endurance running also has a very lean type of muscle build. Yoga also has a meditational component to it which is difficult to achieve at first, but once you really get into it, it helps emotionally and mentally- you've probably heard the about the yoga craze- it gets addicting. In terms of just getting back into things, I find that updating my play list from time to time gets me pumped up and back into the gym when I'm in a slump. The hardest part is really getting out the door, but once you start up again you'll get it. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,205 Member
    Options
    So I spent the last three years lifting weights and getting strong. Then last year I had some personal issues happen and I had to stop working out and just focus on life stuff. I'm at the point where I've lost almost 7lbs from just walking and calorie counting. Which is great and I've had results. But for some reason I either have a weird fear of lifting or working out heavier that I just can't seem to get that drive back. Right now my goals are to be thinner vs strong but still it's hard to do much more than walking. Help I've been in this funk for a while.

Try different sports. There's more out there than just lifting weights and walking.

Pick some off the list, and give them a try. :)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I get in that sort of mood it's a sign I got bored. It helps if I change it up somehow. Maybe you won't go back to lifting the same way you did in the past. Might you try a group class, or sign up for a competition like a triathlon or a tough muddier?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I did it solely because I was motivated and NOT because I felt like doing it. I really had to just force myself. Once you're in the habit, it's easy to keep up.

But doing it - you just have to be motivated and then force yourself, I'd you don't feel like it. I did it because it might help make me healthier. You have to figure out if there's a reason for you to want it.

I remember how much it sucked at first and then after my injury how much it sucked again. But once I'm into it, I *usually* like it. Maybe you will, too! :)