Wisdom Teeth- Surgery

Options
I am having my wisdom teeth (all four) taken out tomorrow. What kind of foods can and should I eat? I'm also nervous because I don't want to gain weight because of this surgery as I won't be able to workout until my stitches are healed. How long does this normally take?
Any suggestions/ thoughts?

Replies

• ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Liquids, soft texture, smooth foods, it's going to hurt, take any pain killers they offer before hand cause you'll need them to have kicked in by the time you leave, so yogurt, soup, ice cream, sorry not a lot of choice, hope it goes quickly for you !
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Smoothies (not with a straw though), or even protein powder in milk, unsweetened applesauce. When I had mine out I lived on ensure, mashed potatoes, cooked corn and cooked carrots. Just be sure you eat something before taking pain killers, especially if you've never taken them before. I took one on an empty stomach and threw up.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    AlyM725 wrote: »
    Smoothies (not with a straw though), or even protein powder in milk, unsweetened applesauce. When I had mine out I lived on ensure, mashed potatoes, cooked corn and cooked carrots. Just be sure you eat something before taking pain killers, especially if you've never taken them before. I took one on an empty stomach and threw up.

Even if you don't throw up, you're still going to have abdominal pain.

To be honest, I lost after each of mine (I had all four out on 3 different visits because I was young and broke). I probably consumed more jello and popsicles than anything else. No kidding about the straw thing though--I wound up with dry socket anyway once.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I had just the one taken out a couple of weeks back; i spent the first four days on a combination of tramadol, paracetamol and ibuprofen, then another four days on just paracetamol and ibuprofen. My mouth was so swollen i couldn't open it properly and had to eat softer foods that i could literally just shove in my face like bananas, baked beans, scrambled egg, soup, etc. for just over a week. And it was about a week and a half before i could exercise again because of the pain and drowsiness from painkillers.

Of course, i may be being a massive wuss (although i do have quite a high pain tolerance). But you are getting all four out, so i really can't judge. And i don't want to freak you out, just letting you know what to expect. Good luck :)
  • katerinabowler
    katerinabowler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't realise wisdom teeth removal could be so brutal. I had mine out under local anaesthetic, and went out for a run the next day. Tbh they were so painful before they were removed it was a massive relief to be rid of them!
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 taken out at the same time & I don't really think you have to worry about gaining because you're not going to feel like eating. I ate yogurt, mashed potatoes, pudding, sweet potatoes, etc. Protein shakes may be nice for the protein for the first few days. I wasn't able to eat normally for about a month, but I had complications. I do remember eating a lot of chicken noodle soup.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My dentist at that time wanted me to eat for the first 24 hours cold food and food with no pieces -- in other words, ice cream or frozen yogurt.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about gaining weight because you can't exercise. Not being able to eat normally will take care of that. I lost weight when I had mine out, and had pretty much just ice cream, jello, soup and mashed potatoes for two weeks.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

Worry about healing first. Wisdom teeth surgery is rough, but it's not a lengthy recovery time. It's not like you'll be weeks and weeks of not being able to eat real food.

Do what you have to do to nourish yourself and let your mouth heal. Not saying you should completely abandon your weight loss efforts, but sometimes other things have to come first.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    No straw or anything that might cause dry sockets. Been there. Terrible.
    Discuss this at your appointment before they start. Don't mean to scare you but something to stay away from.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    I'm sure you will get a sheet with instructions as to what to avoid (straws, anything hot, etc.) and how to take care of yourself while you're recovering.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    As others have said gaining, not a problem! I ate mostly sherbet!

I think the length of the ill feeling has to do with how badly they are impacted. Mine grew in sideways (seriously) and removal took a long time, I was completely under. A friend of mine needed a shot and they were popped out in no time.
  • Theoprastus
    Theoprastus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had my wisdom teeth out a while ago, and there were plenty of healthy options. Mostly, I found myself drinking more water than I usually did, because the coldness felt super good and it washed out the taste of blood and fluids that, unfortunately, are part of the procedure. For actual food, you can't go wrong with low-sugar yogurt, rice-free soup, and ice cream (don't feel guilty about ice cream. The cold, again, helps swelling go down- or at least that was my excuse.) You don't have to worry about gaining weight, really, as you won't really feel like eating for a few days. Depending on your level of pain (I had almost no pain whatsoever) you might not feel like moving around much either, but if you're not eating much, you won't be gaining weight.

Just remember that your body needs time to heal. You won't be feeling up to where you were pre-surgery for about 3 weeks, and in that time, the most important thing you should be doing is getting plenty of rest and staying hydrated. If your weight loss plan hiccups a little, that's OKAY, you just had SURGERY. Just try not to overdo the ice-cream. :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    As others have said gaining, not a problem! I ate mostly sherbet!

I think the length of the ill feeling has to do with how badly they are impacted. Mine grew in sideways (seriously) and removal took a long time, I was completely under. A friend of mine needed a shot and they were popped out in no time.

This was my experience as well, and I had them all removed at once. I still don't remember recovery time being that long.

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about gaining weight. Give your body extra calories to heal if you can. When I had mine removed after the 4th meal of chicken broth I got sick of food anyway and had to end up forcing myself to eat. I bought liquid meals that I knew I loved - chocolate custard, jelly, soft cheesy noodles.

I wasn't calorie counting then, but to put it into perspective - I just got back from a 10 day vacation. During those 10 days I ate and drank whatever I want. I probably DRANK my normal total calories. Only put on about 1.5kgs at MOST - I got back about 12 days ago and I'm right back to where I was before I left.

So even if you eat over your calories (hard to do when it's so hard to eat) it won't take long to take any weight back off again. Once you can eat normally again, eat at a deficit. Then when you can workout again, do that too.
  • PhoenyxHellfyre
    PhoenyxHellfyre Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My favourite thing to eat when I had the teeth removed was mashed banana with peanut butter stirred in. Doesn't look terribly attractive, but it's delicious, filling, and didn't make anything worse.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your surgeon should have given you a list of acceptable foods. SOFT. Exercise is not required for weight loss, a deficit is, so a few days won't hurt in the least.