When you have a calorie overload...

Options
Hi,
What does everyone do if they have one of those days where they go well over the calorie amount?
Example - more excercise next day?
Eat less next day? That type of thing....thanks :)

Replies

• 115Everest
    115Everest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I just forget about it. If I try to make up for it, it's either too much exercise or I'm starving. I just resume business as usual starting with the next meal.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is another day. Learn from it and move on. I was over by around 400 last night. Down a pound this afternoon. One day is not so important as the overall trend.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    115Everest wrote: »
    Honestly? I just forget about it. If I try to make up for it, it's either too much exercise or I'm starving. I just resume business as usual starting with the next meal.

+1

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Log it, do better tomorrow.
  • Kr1sMar1e
    Kr1sMar1e Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    115Everest wrote: »

This.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the boost in my strength the next day, then forget about it.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I whip myself with a cat-o'-9-tails for penance. Serves me right.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't even care. Some days are over and some are under. Usually, if I'm over or under one day, I'll be less or more hungry the next. Not always, but usually.

It's just not something I worry about, but I tend to have more under than over days.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    As much as I just try to move on I kinda wonder if a nice amount of lifting would be beneficial at that point since I have a surplus of calories would that perhaps help my body in some way? Cant hurt ai suppose and that way I feel like I at least burned some of it if nothing else. Not gonna go crazy though.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    most people dont care. I on the other hand cannot do nothing about a 6-8k calorie binge. Two pounds of fat will show. The next two days i eat about 500 calories, mainly protein. Take advantage of the energy and hit the weights hard and do many many hours of cardio(mountain bike rides) and any other kind of activity i can think of to have big burn days to fix the screw up quickly. Oh i make sure i dont forget to take my multi vitamin ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I usually account for a pretty high day and use a weekly deficit. If I go over what I've accounted for, I log it, realize I may lose less than I hoped, and move on.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depends on what number we're talking about and whether I'm trying to maintain or lose weight at the time.

If I'm trying to lose and I go over by ~2000 calories on one day, I'll probably just log it and move on. If I'm trying to maintain, I'll shoot for being under goal by 200 calories or so for at least a few days, drink lots of water, and wait it out.

It's working so far and I'm happy about that :)

~Lyssa
  • lannemack
    lannemack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If it's one day out of the week or on occasion, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I have one bad day every now and then but I don't do it on a daily basis.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I try to balance it out over the week. This past week for example:

Mon - 382 (consumed 2132)
    Tues - 10 (consumed 2556)
    Wed - 787 (consumed 1702)
    Thurs - 571 (consumed 2156)
    Fri - 372 (consumed 2517)
    Sat - 548 (consumed 2491)
    Sun - ?? (consumed 2107)
    I won't know 100% for sure, until midnight or tomorrow morning (most likely morning) what my total deficit was for today. I figure it out with my activity tracker. However, my tracker says I still have 300 calories remaining (MFP says 400) so my guess is it should be around 800. So for the week, my total deficit is 3470 approximately. That means I overate by 30 calories this week (at least that's my guess right now).

Balancing my deficit on a weekly basis (instead of a daily) also makes it easier with holidays, birthdays and other events.

edit:
    Oh, I added what I actually ate calorie wise to hopefully prevent people from assuming I'm starving myself.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I usually account for a pretty high day and use a weekly deficit. If I go over what I've accounted for, I log it, realize I may lose less than I hoped, and move on.

How do you calculate a weekly deficit?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

How do you calculate a weekly deficit?

I believe she uses TDEE method.

So if say her TDEE - % comes out to 1500. That means she has 10500 calories to balance across the week however she pleases.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    most people dont care. I on the other hand cannot do nothing about a 6-8k calorie binge. Two pounds of fat will show. The next two days i eat about 500 calories, mainly protein. Take advantage of the energy and hit the weights hard and do many many hours of cardio(mountain bike rides) and any other kind of activity i can think of to have big burn days to fix the screw up quickly. Oh i make sure i dont forget to take my multi vitamin ;)

Please take care of yourself. What you're doing is not good for your body or your mind.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    iona_ellen wrote: »
    Hi,
    What does everyone do if they have one of those days where they go well over the calorie amount?

Log it and move on. That's it. :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    iona_ellen wrote: »
    Hi,

Log it and move on. That's it. :)

+1