What do you eat for protein?

Options
I eat peanut butter on raisen nut toast for breakfast. I eat the super thin lunchmeat 2 slices for lunch in a whole wheat sandwich thin with dill pickles and then hummus and carrots or sugar snap peas or radishes then since I have like 500 calories left, my breakfast and lunch are both around 300 or less calories, I eat something like kielbasa and fried potatoes, or a hamburger and 20 cheetos for dinner or a chicken breast with a dollop of chutney on it. ;)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    MEAT, Greek yogurt, cheese, milk, eggs, lentils, MEAT.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    eggs
    tuna
    chicken breast
    greek yogurt
    granola bar
    optimum nutrition smoothie
    cheese
    shrimp salmon
    etc
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

BOOM!
  • AMaverickRenegade
    AMaverickRenegade Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Icelandic yogurt, dried edamame, cheese, black beans, beef jerky. My husband doesn’t eat meat, so I don't eat much of it either.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Shrimp
    Cod
    Beans, especially black beans
    eggs
    Beef
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    oddball here:
    Seitan, seitan/chickpea blend, tofu, beans, more beans, more tofu, more seitan.....veggies....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Meat, meat, meat, bacon, meat, eggs, cottage cheese, meat, more bacon, nuts, meat.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    MEAT, eggs, dairy,
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Meat, meat, meat, bacon, meat, eggs, cottage cheese, meat, more bacon, nuts, meat.

What about some meat?

snort
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

BOOM!

Don't forget the cottage cheese (full fat) - 24g per cup - 220 cals
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of chicken. I also make a peanut butter protein shake every once and awhile. Then there's always eggs.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Seitan
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Beans
    Legumes
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Whole grains
    Quinoa
    Green vegetables
    Protein powder
    TVP
    Veggie burgers
    PB2
  • NPetrakis
    NPetrakis Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not all protein is created equal. Some are richer in a certain amino acid profile and or micronutrient. That said there's a good ( and scientific ) reason to employ a variety of proteins throughout the day or week.

Firstly, why consume it at all? Readily available essential amino acids and the sparing of lean muscle on your frame which is your at-rest fat burning furnace. Protein is needed to add muscle to the body.

Downside? Saturated fat content in certain meats and sources ( egg ) is elevated and unless the animal was "grass fed" some of the acids ( L-Carnitine ) that break down the larger SF molecule into a smaller burnable molecule are deficient. Imagine dripping Dawn into a bowl of grease, that's what L-Carnitine does.

How much to eat?? The mean population can process 10g-ish of protein in an hour. Meaning if you sit down to a large portion ( varied by metabolism and frame size ) there is a chance some of that protein will be converted to glucose, increasing the insulin response, and get stored as fat.

My lean mass is 206lbs I eat 210g/day ( 1g/lb ) in 40-45g portions to manage insulin and optimize what i consume. Meals 3 hours apart

I employ eggs and egg whites ( essential fats and cholesterol )
    Chicken breast
    a whey or beef protein isolate powder ( alternating days )
    Salmon ( essential fatty acids )
    some beef ( to complete the amino profile )

Eggs are readily available, the chicken is often prepared in advance and chillin in my fridge, the fish and or beef is the made to order meal of the day be it lunch or dinner.

For me, I infrequently will consume a greek yogurt or whole milk cottage cheese as I am on a low carbohydrate regime as well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This weekend I went on a cooking spree. Besides hummus and chicken already mentioned I cooked some pork cutlets on my George Foreman, marinated and baked tofu, refried some beans, and I'm making Boston Baked Beans right now. I have turkey meatballs in the freezer too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Meat
    Tuna
    Cottage cheese
    Eggs
    Beans
    Tofu
    Edamame

I need to eat beans more often and make a hummus I like.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options

BOOM!

BOOM AGAIN!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Cheese, eggs, chicken, tuna, lentils.

Those are the main ones, but I'll include other things sometimes. On the weekend, for example, we had a chef's pie (cottage pie) with beef.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Dead things, dairy and protein supplements.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Cows pigs and chickens mainly. Occasionally a fish. Peas, beans, peanut butter, cheese milk and yogurt to.

• jasonrmcdowell
    jasonrmcdowell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stick mostly to poultry or protein shakes (I don't like fish). Poultry is really low in calories. A 1/4 lb. lean turkey patty is under 200 calories. I've lost 40 pounds in about six months just by counting calories and cutting out soda and red meat at least 6 days a week.