When do the pounds start to come off?

Options
I started working out in earnest about 6 weeks ago. I got a trainer that I see 2-3 times per week, as well as power yoga once a week. I record my food on MFP and am usually within my goals. I have lost about 4.5 lbs, but I really feel like it should be more given how hard I'm working!!

My trainer says I am building muscle, and the pounds will come off later. I'm just wondering if anyone has had an experience like this and when you started seeing the pounds come off??

Replies

• dalzinho
    dalzinho Posts: 52
    Options
    They will come off.

If you want drama though, cut right back on your carb consumption; you'll shrink (but live in a constant state of wanting a sandwich).
  • jambs5
    jambs5 Posts: 114
    Options
    I started on 5/13/11. I lost about 5#s the 1st week and have maintained since then. I do a lot of cardio workouts (cross coountry skiing, stationary bike, walking, etc). My legs and arms do feel firmer. I keep within my calories and exercise goals too. Believe I'm building muscles too. Hope the weight starts to fall/drop off too. Please feel free to add me as a friend. The more support/encouragement the better. Have a great day!
  • dalzinho
    Options
    And spaghetti. Man, sometimes I dream about spaghetti.
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    YEP!! I have been a member on here since February... and let me tell you, it was slow going and frustrating. I was working out, keeping to a 1200 calorie diet, and eating back all my workout calories. I didn't lose more than about 5 pounds, and NO inches...
    Until...
    About mid-April. All of a sudden, I was losing inches quickly (5 all over in one week, 4 in the next). 4 lbs came off in one week... then it has been a steady 2lbs each week since. I don't buy the "building muscle" thing until your fat has gone. Then you may build muscle and gain a few pounds back... but I noticed I really didn't lose weight until I burned almost half of my daily calories. I started to run. I just did a 5k, and now am training for a 10k and half-marathon. This cardio workout has really helped me melt away.
    Keep at it... and it will happen. The slower the better, actually. :D Good luck
  • SunshineRowe
    Options
    no big results will happen until you make big changes in your diet...it's 80 percent of weight loss and fitness
  • dalzinho
    Options
    Aye, that's right. A good diet is essential to good training.
  • NorCalMommy
    NorCalMommy Posts: 10
    Options
    I have made big changes to my diet - I guess that's why I am frustrated. I guess I should cut back even more on the carbs. Can't get rid of them completely though. I need some energy for my workouts!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What are your calories set at? It could be that you're eating too little... Be sure to eat at least 1200 a day, more with your exercise...
  • dalzinho
    Options
    I have made big changes to my diet - I guess that's why I am frustrated. I guess I should cut back even more on the carbs. Can't get rid of them completely though. I need some energy for my workouts!

Your body fat can provide that too.

Srsly tho, I have a bowl of muesli for my breakfast in the morning, and that is most of my carb intake for the day, bar the occasional spoonful of sugar in my tea; and I have a pasta/rice dinner once a week, and bread even more occasionally. Helps if you're a decent cook and can do interesting thing with your veg to accompany your chicken.