Logging at a potluck?

Options
2»

Replies

• colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just log 2000kcal and make the best choices I can. I do that whenever I eat out.

Same.

Food, and events such as this, should be enjoyed.

• petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Before a potluck or a BBQ I typically have a big workout and eat light leading up to the event. After eating I do my best to log what I ate as soon as possible so I can remember everything. Or you can just take a quick pic on your phone of your plate and worry about logging it after you get back home..
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Depending on when it is, I would eat very light at breakfast and very light at dinner and would not log the potluck. The next day or two, I'd probably eat a couple hundred cals less or work out a little longer.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks petitehealth for the idea of taking pictures of my plate. I did that and then did my best estimate of logging once I got home. Based on my guesses I ate a lot of calories, but not over my daily limit. Went a little wild on sweets, but mostly just little tastes of multiple things. I even had calories left for a small dinner/snack.
  • 3proud
    3proud Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What about counting bites? Bites of food are an average of 25 cals a bite. If you allow yourself around 20 bites total, you are look at around 500 cals.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My strategy for potlucks, or parties (like the 4th of July party with all its yumminess) is to have an egg white omelet for breakfast -- plain egg whites with maybe one whole egg and tons of veggies such as red pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach -- and a big salad for lunch. I might add some chicken breast of sliced deli turkey to the salad for protein. Both of these meals are very low cal, so then for the potluck I have a lot of calories left over. And at the 4th of July I discovered there is an actual entry called "omg a lot of food" or something like that. :smiley: I just put that in and moved on.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I would not bother logging but make sensible choices. It's one meal after all and won't derail what you are doing as long as you are not doing it on a very regular basis. Stick to foods that you know won't be too high in theory like salad, cold cut meats etc
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    3proud wrote: »
    What about counting bites? Bites of food are an average of 25 cals a bite. If you allow yourself around 20 bites total, you are look at around 500 cals.

So a bite of broccoli is the same as a bite of mac'n cheese?

I log it all because I like to know how much I have to make up for, even if it's just approximate.