Pain in calf muscle during exercise

Options
Good morning everyone!

I have a question for you. I was using my elliptical on Sunday when I began to feel a pain in my left calf. I thought maybe it was just a cramp or something. I was almost finished with my workout, so I continued through. This morning, I was back on the elliptical and about 4 minutes into the workout my calf starting hurting again. This time it was more painful and I had to stop. Has anyone had this happen and what should I do? Stretch? Rest? It even hurts while I am walking now. Very frustrating!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Susan

Replies

• jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    you could have shin splints, google them and see if they fit the bill
  • SagaciousMarie
    SagaciousMarie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching out that leg? It may be a leg cramp. Also Bananas (Potassium) help with muscle cramps as well. Also it depends on how you are running on the elliptical. Do you run on the ball off your foot, flexing your calf? Start working on form but if it persist see a Dr just to have you muscles check sometimes when you work out you will start to notice issues that may have been caused do to your weight.
  • suzykitty
    suzykitty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I don't think it's shin splints, Jeff. It's on the back side, sort of in that muscle. Saga, I'll have to pay attention to my form, I've never even noticed how I run. I have some bananas, I'll stretch and give it a rest for a few days and see what happens. Thanks for the tips.
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 30 day shred and the Jump rope bit of the dvd started to really hurt my left calf too after the 2nd day. So i got a massage and did A LOT of stretching and i have given it a weekwnd of rest. I am back on the exercise this evening so hopefully it doesn't come back. The only thing i can sugest is doing some stretches...face a wall and put your toes against it and your heels on the floor andbend your knees slightly, that will stretch out your calk muscles and try and do some non impact exercise, like cycling or sit ups etc.

Hope you feel better soon! :-) x
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    you can get shin shin splints, they are called anterior shin splints and effect the back of the lower leg, calf!!
  • suzykitty
    suzykitty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!

Jeff, I had no idea that a shin splint could be on the back side of my leg! Thank you for the link. It does sound like that could be it. I have been stretching all morning. It is feeling a bit better, but when I walk a lot it still is very painful.

I appreciate all of you.

Susan