Getting married in 1 year

Options
Hey guys, I am a 22 year old female who is getting married in a little over 1 year from now! I have done this whole losing weight thing before, but with stress while in college and working, I have gained it all back plus 20 pounds (gained a total of 70 pounds in 2 years). I have always had a bigger stature, being 5'1. At my lowest weight, I was about 140 pounds.. Looking back at photos, I think that I look healthy and happier at about 150-160, so that is my goal weight. I weighed in last week at 225.6, and today weighed in at 223.0. The past seven days I have given up all carbonated and sugary drinks.. Water and skim milk only. I have religiously eaten 1300ish calories per day (I log my food into fitbit instead of here ) I worked out 4 days in the past 7, and have taken 3 minutes off of my timed mile. I always have been good the first week.. but it's the 2nd and 3rd week of diet and exercise where I tend to fall off the train. My fiance is an avid runner and health nut, so I hope him going to the gym every day will help keep me on track. I am here to help support and be supported by others who are in the same boat as I am, and are DONE yo-yoing. Any advice from those who are either close to finishing their journey, or even just starting like I am? Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. If you eat less than that (way more than 1,300 calories), you will lose weight.

You can learn more (and find friends) in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • talouidor
    talouidor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First let me say congratulations on the engagement and upcoming wedding.
    My wedding is in 3 month and I current can't fit my dress (my hips and butt got bigger from crossfit). I say that to say don't buy your dress smaller and work to get into it!
    Second, do eat so little everyday if you are working out... it's not sustainable and your body will pick up on it quickly. I am a runner and I have gained weight training for races.
    I started crossfit last year and lost 15 of the 30lbs I gained in grad school. I have 15 more to go. It hard to follow a low carb diet when you're a runner so it's been a challenge dropping the last 15. Last week I bough a book called choose to lose by Chris Powell (extreme weightloss on abc guy) and its about carb cycling ( i train on my high carb days). so far its been helpful...one week in and I've dropped 2lbs (though that could all be water). I would also suggest read a lot and try different things out...things you are likely to stick to. Take some advice with a grain of salt. I usually don't offer advice because i'm no health expert however I am going through the "i wanna make a beautiful and sexy bride on my wedding day" kinda phase and its stressful (this doesn't help with the weight loss).
    Oh and one more thing, do not workout 7 days per week. Your body needs time to rest. Working out more isn't always the answer.
    Good Luck and congrats again!
    TA
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    HeatherCrazyCat Posts: 46 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hello, and congratulations on your engagement! :)
    I hope that you and your future husband will have a long and loving life together.
    It sounds as though your fiancé will be a great help in reaching your goals, and it is brilliant that you are able to work out together and share a healthy lifestyle.
    The first week of changing habits is always exciting... the long-term changes seem to come easier if you can gradually work into them.
    I found that I had stopped enjoying life by being too restrictive at the start, so I re-evaluated after my first few weeks in order to compromise between a healthy lifestyle and not going stir crazy! I have very similar weight loss goals to you (starting weight 206lbs with a target end of 140lbs or so).
    The most important thing to remember is, that your wedding day is just the first day of the rest of your lives together. If you reach your target weight in time then great, but if not, then please don't let it stress you out and take anything away from the happiness that you deserve :)
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I second, to not purchase a smaller dress, I always shake my head when I read about folks who do that. Purchase a dress that currently fits or a larger dress to have it taken in. It is easier to take in then to let out. Getting married is stressful enough in an of itself.

Good luck on your journey.
  • sandbuiltdreams
    sandbuiltdreams Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations..

First off, you're not eating enough. You've probably shut your metabolism down. Try a breakdown of 100g fat, 150g protein, and 100g carbs (1900 calories).

60% of this would be in the last 4 hours of the day. If you can stand no carbs before 4pm, do it (roughly 30 carbs before you weight train). If you know you want ice cream that night, make sure you save the tasty points for later.

Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything you eat. Do not "by eye" or volume measurements. Weigh things uncooked. You'll be surprised that what you think you eat is actually a lot less that what you really eat.

Weigh yourself everyday at the same time (but don't get hung up on the number) and take pictures once every 4 weeks, that will be your progress indicator. The first think you should start cutting if the weight stays the same is the carbs, but replace them with protein to start.

Low intensity cardio should be kept to 20 minutes maximum. Try something like Sprint 8 on a stationary bike.
    Ditch the long distance running in favor of sled drags, prowler runs or sprinting. You need to run 30+ miles a week to change your body shape, and your joints probably couldn't take that easily.

Use your time in the gym to build muscle. That means heavy weights... I recommend powerlifting training on the big 3 and bodybuilding style assistance work.

Hypnosis works and can help you stick to your goal.

Go to the doctor and check your hormones. Preferably one who is willing to make sure you're TSH is below 0.5.

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hello, and congratulations on your engagement! :)
    I found that I had stopped enjoying life by being too restrictive at the start, so I re-evaluated after my first few weeks in order to compromise between a healthy lifestyle and not going stir crazy!

This is very common, OP, if you cut out things you enjoy completely, you are more likely to overeat later when you 'allow them back' try using moderation, you'll be much happier in the long run.
    Congratulations..

First off, you're not eating enough. You've probably shut your metabolism down. Try a breakdown of 100g fat, 150g protein, and 100g carbs (1900 calories).

60% of this would be in the last 4 hours of the day. If you can stand no carbs before 4pm, do it (roughly 30 carbs before you weight train). If you know you want ice cream that night, make sure you save the tasty points for later.

Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything you eat. Do not "by eye" or volume measurements. Weigh things uncooked. You'll be surprised that what you think you eat is actually a lot less that what you really eat.

Weigh yourself everyday at the same time (but don't get hung up on the number) and take pictures once every 4 weeks, that will be your progress indicator. The first think you should start cutting if the weight stays the same is the carbs, but replace them with protein to start.

Low intensity cardio should be kept to 20 minutes maximum. Try something like Sprint 8 on a stationary bike.
    Ditch the long distance running in favor of sled drags, prowler runs or sprinting. You need to run 30+ miles a week to change your body shape, and your joints probably couldn't take that easily.

Use your time in the gym to build muscle. That means heavy weights... I recommend powerlifting training on the big 3 and bodybuilding style assistance work.

Hypnosis works and can help you stick to your goal.

Go to the doctor and check your hormones. Preferably one who is willing to make sure you're TSH is below 0.5.

OP, only listen to the bolded part of this. The rest may work for some people but doesn't necessarily work for you. A lot of the non-bolded is unnecessary or not true. (If your metabolism shuts down, you die.)

Weigh everything you eat, only use measuring cups for liquid, ex. milk not Peanut butter. Try to be more active and be honest in your food diary. Also take your measurements (Bust, waist, hips, arm, neck, thigh calf, etc...) now and every 2-4 weeks. You'll get there OP. Good luck and congrats on your engagement!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on your engagement. I'm getting married a year from Wednesday and also have a runner fiance. I sent you an invite for a bride to be group I manage. I think FitFitzy has good advice. Read the intro posts/announcements in the forums, guide to sexypants, etc. The reason week 2 and 3 get hard is because you tell yourself you can't eat any of the things you like and you get a craving and binge. Focus on calories in, calories out. If you're working out, you'll have a little more for the stuff you like. If you like stuff, just moderate or find ways to fit it in. That's what's going to make this sustainable. Good luck!
  • CarrieA180
    CarrieA180 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your engagement!

My daughter got married May 23rd. I had a year and half to lose the weight. I lost and gained the same 20 pounds. I put to much pressure on myself to lose for one event. First, find out the real reason for your weight gain. And make the proper changes. I wish you all the success! :)
  • SignpostPsycho
    SignpostPsycho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 22 and getting married next October. One of friends on here is, as well. I have 50lbs to lose before then (puting me at 120 for 5'2"). I have been in the same boat as you - yoyo dieting on and off for years trying to keep the weight from school away, but I would get bored or exhausted and it would all come crashing back. I average 1300 calories a day because I don't do high-intensity exercise yet, and try to always go over on my protein. I've lost 11lbs in just under two months.

Making small, sustainable changes is the key. The kitchen scale is your new god. If you haven't been very active before, don't try to move too fast into better fitness - your body will fight back with enough aches and pains to make you want to stop forever (and as a side note, please monitor how many pain relievers you use to combat this, if you do. Gastric ulcers from over training and use of NSAIDS are no fun).

You don't have to cut yourself off completely from the things you love - I still eat a little chocolate and bread and we go out to eat a couple times a month. That's part of a long-term health. Understand what those foods cost and plan around them.

Most people would recommend eating back 30-50% of your exercise calories if you use the MFP numbers. If you use something more tailored to you individually, you can eat back more if you want. Otherwise you aren't fueling your body enough to make the changes you want.

But yeah. We should be friends and help keep each other motivated for our pretty dresses and hundreds of pictures just waiting for us.

• kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    IMHO, i don't follow any specific eating plan. I choose to work on eating appropriate portions of anything i want along with regular activity. When I got married I didn't buy a dress too small, i bought one that just barely fit and tried to be healthy to stay in it. My husband loves me as a healthy person, not one that cuts out food groups.
  • sandbuiltdreams
    sandbuiltdreams Posts: 5 Member
    Options

[/quote]

(If your metabolism shuts down, you die.)
    [/quote]

Ok... she is putting her body in starvation mode. I was using simple language.
  • gettingfitformywedding
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely invest in a good kitchen scale and try watching my carbs and eating more calories than 1300 per day. All I know is when I lost weight the first time, all I did was count calories. I didn't necessarily count carbs or other factors. I am definitely an advocate of eating *mostly* anything, but in moderation. I am serious about losing weight but I'm not going to give up 100% of my freedom to do so. I want to start doing different types of exercise, but I would like to get in decent shape before I go out and risk injury.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

(If your metabolism shuts down, you die.)
    [/quote]

Ok... she is putting her body in starvation mode. I was using simple language.
    [/quote]

There is no such thing as starvation mode.