Good Walking Shoes?

Options
Hi. I need a pair of good, cushioned walking shoes since I need to limit the impact on my spine.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Good walking shoes have a zero "heel-to-toe drop" (no raised heel). This promotes a smoother gait, which is easier on the joints. Most athletic shoes have a raised heel, including those marketed as "walking shoes". Try out some Keds or skateboard shoes. The latter tend to be more cushioned & very comfy. :+1:

YY0mpFq.jpg

If you need something lighter, Altra Olympus is good.

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have feet, ankle and knee issues. The best thing to do is go to a foot wear store and get fitted properly. I have several pair of ACIS that have gel in them and they work well. I just bought my first pair of Brooks and I can tell you they are like walking on clouds even after I have done a 5 mile walk or been on my feet all day.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot a few years back and actually need a curved arch and some "heel" because totally flat shoes hurt me. I've been buying Clarks -- both their walking shoes and casual shoes for work (loafers, clogs, etc.) -- for years, and I think they're great. I walked all over Scotland in a pair of their lightweight, laceless, waterproof models, including climbing a few hills, cobblestones, uneven stairs, etc. This was the model I wore: http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/womens-collection/P-Tequini-Brown-Nubuck/p/26034269

When I was recovering from my broken foot, the doctor recommended Merrill's and Asics. I had a pair of gray Merrills that I wore until they fell apart.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Converse all star high tops ( or similar ), or a hiking boot. Flat sole, ankle support for traversing uneven surfaces.
  • rosebette
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    Converse all star high tops ( or similar ), or a hiking boot. Flat sole, ankle support for traversing uneven surfaces.

Not really. In fact, the shoes are so bad for the feet that they're being redesigned:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/07/23/converse-introduces-chuck-taylor/VHkjGbahHYGAh9Jvr8nFfK/story.html
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

Not really. In fact, the shoes are so bad for the feet that they're being redesigned:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/07/23/converse-introduces-chuck-taylor/VHkjGbahHYGAh9Jvr8nFfK/story.html

They're so bad, they've been around 98 years. B)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options

I have a pair of these that I wear for weightlifting, but I don't find them to be very comfortable for distance walking.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

They've been around for a while, but when they were designed, we didn't have the same understanding of the foot and how it functions during various types of exercise. My dad used to try running wearing them back in the day when that was it for athletic shoes, and he described the terrible calf pains and shin splints he got. They're probably fine for casual wear; my college students traipse all over campus in them. But I wouldn't call them a real walking shoe.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

I have a pair of these that I wear for weightlifting, but I don't find them to be very comfortable for distance walking.

They don't have any cushioning. It makes them great for weight lifting, but not for walking.

Thank you all for your help.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    New Balance 928

Seriously...do some research. This is one of the best walking shoes, ever.

R
  • Trishgf81855
    Trishgf81855 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have worn Sauconys for years but have switched to Asics. I need a new pair and want to check out Brooks.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I have feet, ankle and knee issues. The best thing to do is go to a foot wear store and get fitted properly. I have several pair of ACIS that have gel in them and they work well. I just bought my first pair of Brooks and I can tell you they are like walking on clouds even after I have done a 5 mile walk or been on my feet all day.

Do you happen to have the GEL-FREQUENCY™ 2? Wondering if I dare try them since they are on sale.
  • DiSweating
    DiSweating Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of Ryka walking shoes I loved. I wear Sauconys for running. But I would gladly buy the Rykas again, I put many miles on those shoes. I can't quite remember, but I may have done my first 10k in that pair.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

LOL and the worst shin splints I ever had in my life were from running in these back when I was in the army & this is what we were issued......

OP best advise is go and try on a variety of brands & models. Good fit is probably the most important issue and if additional cushioning is needed you can always consider some of the after market insoles. Personally my favourite for long walks (especially on uneven terrain) is a good pair of hiking boots (they're much lighter now that they were 30 years ago!).

• Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I have some Brooks "Ghost 6" I have bought a couple of times but also have some New Balance 928's that are very comfortable. Good luck!
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If I'm walking I have New Balance running shoes. They are super light and comfortable. I figure if they are good for running on your feet and knees then they have to be good to just walk. Seems reasonable.
  • TheMrsKKB
    TheMrsKKB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just bought another pair of Brooks after I wore through both my Running and Hiking (Trail) pair after two years. I didn't even know about this brand but after going to a running store (Roadrunner) they analyzed my feet and gave me 5 different brands to try. For me - the Brooks were the absolute best and I didn't even need to walk them in, they fit so well right from the start and are like another poster above said - like walking on a cloud. I also just recently heard about "ALTRA" shoes that have even more support and a wide toe box. Just try different brands and see what fits for you. I find that many of the above brands have fabulous shoes but each foot is different and what works for one may not work for another person. But at least you have a good start :) good luck!!!
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Check out Rockports. They're supportive, cushioned and have done me well. I put 5 miles most work days (5 per week) on mine. No complaints at all. They wear well, feel comfortable and they've been making walking shoes for a long time..
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yes, Brooks! I stumbled upon these by accident, but I love them. Good support, good cushioning, light weight. I think mine are Brooks Asics. Love them!