How/why I'm cutting out chocolate completely!

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with cutting something out of your life if you do not find it to be beneficial to you. Good luck.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Mine is ice cream. But I have no plans to give it up, just learn how to control it.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    It seems like an easy way to become even more obsessed with chocolate.

That's exactly how I think it would work for me, but it's OP's life and I wish her well.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I completely understand, hopefully someday it will be something you can have some and have a take it or leave it attitude. I'll buy ice cream and think I can really stick to the 1/2 cup serving HAHA no, i'll have 2 or 3 servings and use way more of my day on that ice cream then anything healthy.
  • bananafish80
    bananafish80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with potato chips. I just can't start eating it because then the entire bag is gone.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    For me, it was mayo. I've more or less cut it out - I no longer add it to anything myself, but I won't avoid pre-made sandwiches that have mayo on them, for instance.

It's worked just fine for me, and I no longer have the desire to add mayo to everything I eat.

You're the expert in your own life, OP. Do what works for you :)
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Luke-skywalker-noooooo.jpg
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Mine is ice cream. But I have no plans to give it up, just learn how to control it.

Same! Now I weigh out what fits in my day instead of what fits in my bowl.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    It works for you and leaves more chocolate for the rest of us.

Win/win.

+1
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I can get on board with cutting out/restricting an item because it's too easy to go overboard/binge eg I avoid doritos as I find it hard to only have a portion.

However, the trying to make yourself not like something you clearly like seems somewhat disordered. Have you thought about talking to someone about your relationship with food/chocolate in particular? I wonder if the trigger to binge on chocolate goes a bit deeper.

Also as a footnote I've been trying to get myself to like mushrooms for a long time, and still hate the damm things.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    But, you do like chocolate. I have switched to dark chocolate and fit in a few pieces a night instead of eating tons. This way I don't feel deprived and binge later on.

• MoonCatKDT
    MoonCatKDT Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did the same type of thing. I gave up chocolate cold turkey, with plans to reintroduce it into my diet in smaller quantities. It's worked so far! I no longer crave it but still get to enjoy it here and there.
  • tyriala
    tyriala Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I cut out sweets for now, too. I will eat them again, in time - and in small portions! - but honestly, seeing as I don't have that many calories a day, they are better used on some nice, filling meal instead of chocolate. And if I want chocolate, I think I'm gonna go and buy some expensive chocolate. I would have less, it would taste better and there would be no danger of binging on hordes of cheap chocolate like I used to.

So good for you!
  • jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    WOW just made a long post and it got deleted. D: Ah well -- quickly meant to say that I've been at it for just over a month and it hasn't led to ANY binges at all, which I used to struggle with a lot when I tried the in-moderation route. And the allergy comment is a really good idea, thanks! And I can't handle myself with both dollar store cheap chocolate (which I binged on to 'save money' which is kind of funny and ironic), as well as the expensive good stuff. I would feel guiltier eating the expensive chocolate because I felt like it was more of a waste of money, even though it was 10x more delicious. But baked goods have always been the hardest to resist (my freshman year of college I had a bad habit of mixing butter, melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and sugar, into a big bowl, and eating that as a 'snack'...LMAO).

And I find all this discussion really interesting, how people handle their 'trigger foods' in different ways!!

And I don't think that my choco-addiction is anything 'deeper,' just that it's always been the one thing I've struggled with the most when it comes to over-eating. :)
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    It seems like an easy way to become even more obsessed with chocolate.

That's exactly how I think it would work for me, but it's OP's life and I wish her well.

I wish the OP good luck as well. My old roommate, woman in her late 50's, had an actual addiction to chocolate. She would come out of her bedroom with chocolate still smeared around her mouth. She would end up going to the store still not realizing she had it on her face. She was (and is) obese and severely diabetic, yet cannot shake the chocolate addiction. So.... I guess I should be more on board with the OP if she knows she can't handle it. Anyway...enough out of me. Everyone take care.
  • Rimfakse
    Rimfakse Posts: 25 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wish I was as strong as you. Can't live without some chocolate every day :) I try to eat only dark chocolate now, as I find it harder to binge on it than on milk chocolate.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My nemesis is Doritos.

As far as chocolate goes, I have one square of 90% dark chocolate on most days. I kind of think of it as a very tasty nutritional supplement.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    ...And just quickly I want to say that I've been keeping track by a calendar print-out of July and August on my wall. I put a smiley face on days I don't have chocolate. I am rewarding myself by : 3 successful consecutive days => $5 to MAC, and 5 sucessful days => $10 to MAC. Each day I fail it is $1, and the next day $-2, etc. I'm keeping track of my tab right next to the calendar. It's very visual and 'public' -- even if the only one in my room to see it is me, it's still *out there* so visible and I want to be proud of it, of lots of lil smiley faces on it! :):)

I may try a variation of this method to incentivize me to floss. My dentist scolding me periodically apparently isn't enough motivation.

For chocolate, I don't have cravings anymore now that I take a magnesium supplement - chocolate cravings can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency.

Now I can eat 15 grams / 70 calories of chocolate chips and stop.

• jeebieheebies
    jeebieheebies Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I may try a variation of this method to incentivize me to floss. My dentist scolding me periodically apparently isn't enough motivation.

Oh wow, that's actually how I started this method!!! It's the reason I floss every single day, now for about 1-1/2 years! It seriously works.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have trouble moderating artificial cheese flavored chips and crackers. There aren't really any good reasons for me to consume them so I'm really better off not having any. I can handle real cheese just fine. It is probably less challenging than chocolate because chocolate is everywhere.

Good luck to you.
    Maybe taking magnesium supplements would help.