just one simple question and i will be on my way...

Options
How do you keep motivated? Please let me know

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. The trick is don't depend on it to keep you going. Just eat at a deficit-don't go on a deprivation "diet"! Eat what what you love-just less of it and before you know it, off will go the excess poundage!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    for me it is clothes, I want to wear my clothes, keep reminding myself of this
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Try to make small sustainable changes. Once you have some success it will give you some knowledge. Try not to restrict too much as this may make you give up. Use the forums to educate yourself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I already mentioned it in another thread of yours: COMMITMENT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • HankD50
    HankD50 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fitness is like putting pennies in a piggy bank. No one ever gets rich overnight. But every little bit counts toward your goal. Over time, it can add up to a great amount. Every day is another opportunity to be successful, no matter how bad the day before turned out. Even if it is just a 15 minute walk around the block, or making a sensible choice for dinner, do something every day for your fitness. It truly is a habit that builds overtime. Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Motivation doesn't last. It gets you started and hopefully lasts long enough for you to build good habits. After that it's normal, even expected, for it to come and go. Your habits are the thing that keeps you going.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    By setting goals and show these goals have some sort of priority in your life.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since Jan 3rd and down 60! and motivation totally comes and goes. Sometimes I feel like "the old me" all bloated up and just fat, then someone I haven't seen is like OMG you look so good and it just boosts you to keep on going! Sometimes it's my family or trying something on I haven't worn in forever and it not only fits but it's too big!! I highly recommend doing a instagram for just losing weight, you go on there and stalk some and its amazing and you want that too! But my main motivation is I don't want to die because of something stupid like fat. Seriously, I didn't want to be that plus size casket that literally has to be special made.
  • acoustophoresis
    acoustophoresis Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fitness is like putting pennies in a piggy bank. No one ever gets rich overnight. But every little bit counts toward your goal. Over time, it can add up to a great amount. Every day is another opportunity to be successful, no matter how bad the day before turned out. Even if it is just a 15 minute walk around the block, or making a sensible choice for dinner, do something every day for your fitness. It truly is a habit that builds overtime. Good luck!

I'm so glad I read this today.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Motivation has to come from within. You need to take a good, honest look at WHY you're doing this. You can parrot other people's reasons, but if you haven't internalized them, it won't work for long. Example: I knew I needed to lose weight. My doctor said so and I agreed. I tried off and on for a while with no success. It wasn't until I saw my wedding pictures that I buckled down and got serious. All it took was remembering that I looked fat to myself for the first time to keep me going when things got tough. And now, I'm very close to my calorie goal and I slip up more than I used to. But I can get back on the path quickly by mentally comparing my wedding photos to the ones we just had done on vacation last month. For the first time in a lot of years, I look like myself to me again, and that's worth getting back up and keeping going.

And things do get tough and you will fall from time to time. If you go over your calories, just log it and start fresh the next day. Occasional over days are not the end of the world and you'll be fine. Keep your own motivation in mind, and that will prompt you to keep going.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I LOVE this.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I was motivated because I was fat. Then I was motivated because I was losing. Now, my entire life has changed. My gym routine is part of my life. If I miss it-it's like work. I have to find another time in the week to make it up, and I'd rather not do that because rest is nice.
  • goldengatefarm
    goldengatefarm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    May sound weird but I got a pedometer. Looking at how many steps I had taken and besting myself, or at least reaching my goal got me started and motivated again. I started out with just getting to 3000 steps a day then 6000, then 10000 now my daily goal is 13000. I also started IF which simply meant for me that I couldn't eat at night. So I am losing weight and feeling fitter. :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Achieving my goals on time keeps me motivated.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

Check out the photo's on/in the Successful board
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes.
    Determination is what keeps you going
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    As others have said, motivation comes and goes. I don't think I've been this motivated any other time that I've tried to lose weight and that is why I've never been successful. What I do is think about how I feel. Do I want to be happy for a few minutes or just a happy person? If I eat x food to make myself happy in the moment, it will end up making me unhappy because I'll be upset with myself for eating it. I keep going, changing what I eat and working out because I want to be a healthy and happy person.

Also, I check out the success stories. I see so many people who have changed their lives by being successful at losing weight. I love seeing the smiles on the 'after' photos.
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I feel overwhelmed, I just repeat to myself, "Do the next thing. Do the next thing." Each good choice you make (foodwise or exercise) is one step closer to being where you want to be...but that final goal can seem so far away at times (which can be discouraging, making you think, "Will I ever get there?") So, if the big picture is more than you can handle at the moment, just focus on doing the next thing, one step at a time.

Also, I find having measurable fitness goals helps me a lot when the scale is being uncooperative. Choose som things that demonstrate improvement in strength and endurance like how many pushups you can do, or how long you can hold a wall sit, weight lifted or reps, or for a runner it might be speed or distance. These types of things help me to SEE I am making progress and keep me going, even if weight-loss is stalled.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you need commitment, not motivation. Motivation gets you started; commitment keeps you going.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818701/the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead/p1
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Pick a goal that is just beyond your reach and visualise yourself on the podium. When you get there, already have plans for the next goal. Works for me.