Asking medical odd to you?

Options
dls06
dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
Does anyone else find it odd and dangerous that people ask fitness pal members medical question?

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I do not find it odd. Alot of times people have gone through the same issues before and have some advice to offer. The best advice I ever received was from stangers off the internet.
    I have RA and the docs wanted to put me on all kinds of chemo like medicine. Instead I listened to advice from internet people with RA, changed my diet and am totally medicine AND PAIN free.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think most people will seek medical advice from a Dr if they have a persistant problem that is bothersome, but I also think they are posting asking others here about it simply seeking confirmation they are not alone in their worry or fear of something different going on with them and hope to find others who share a similar experience to help themselves feel better.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Not really odd, but it can be dangerous. Sometimes asking medical questions will let people know if they really should go to a doctor or if they are over-reacting. The problem is when they don't have the common sense to follow up with a REAL doc before acting on something potentially hazardous. I ask friends medical questions sometimes - but then follow up with my real doc.
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I don't think it's odd -- I often use google and search when I have a medical question, I think it's the same type of thing. And if it sounds like something serious, most people will tell them to go to their doctor anyway!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Oral Chemo is tough. My son has Crohn's and is on it daily. I fear for him, but diet change is not an option for him. I happy it worked for you.
  • amyakj
    amyakj Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't think it is odd at all. Some times the dr.s just want to medicate you. You can get some natural ideas from ppl on here that maybe have had the same thing. Also for those of us who don't have insurance it defiantly can help. ppl just have to use common sense at what advice they are going to take.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's odd. By comparing notes, you can gather a sense of "knowing" (e.g., confirming your suspicion of the disease or maybe that you may want to get a 2nd opinion).

What I do find odd is people who respond to posts as if they know what they are talking about - but, in reality, are irresponsibly spouting cr*p. I see this alot with people asking about gastric bypass. Inevitably, someone will come in talking about how they "knew of someone who knew someone who's cousin had died" so the person shouldn't have the surgery. Unless people TRULY know what they are talking about, they need to keep their mouth S H U T. *end rant*
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's common these days. I can't tell you how many times I heard a client say "Well I read on the Internet that...."
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Asking a person's past experiences may be okay, but asking for Medical advice is a crapshoot.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    To ask? Not odd at all.

If I'm with friends in the pub I'd talk to them about it, if it was an evening when I was at home and I was on a message board, I'd ask on there about it. Not instead of going to the doctor, if it's something I was concerned about, obviously.

What would be odd is if people who ask about medical things then give the opinions of complete strangers who may or may not have relevant experience or medical training and who may or may not be barking mad more credence than they deserve.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I don't think it's odd. By comparing notes, you can gather a sense of "knowing" (e.g., confirming your suspicion of the disease or maybe that you may want to get a 2nd opinion).

What I do find odd is people who respond to posts as if they know what they are talking about - but, in reality, are irresponsibly spouting cr*p. I see this alot with people asking about gastric bypass. Inevitably, someone will come in talking about how they "knew of someone who knew someone who's cousin had died" so the person shouldn't have the surgery. Unless people TRULY know what they are talking about, they need to keep their mouth S H U T. *end rant*
    Amen, sista!!!