Fat Guys in the Woods

Options
smittybuilt19
smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
Fat Guys in the Woods. A new show airing on Weather Channel.

I was kind of put off at the first commercial I saw which at one point said "Be a man." Without knowing the premise of the show I thought they were tying being a man with being fat, which really hit home for me as I feel sometimes my manliness, and those around me, is judged by how fat I am and how much I can eat.

I actually went to the website to check it out and it turns out, they're putting these fat dudes in the woods to try and survive without the creature comforts. It also kind of eludes that "real men" (ones who can survive in the woods) tend to not be so fat prone after all. Interesting.

All rise...now discuss.

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    ...in the woods to try and survive without the creature comforts.

What do you mean by this part right here?
    I'm a bit slow, today. Been up the whole night sick and my head is spinning lol.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I am so sick of shows about dudes in the woods for no reason, partially because the "challenges" they throw at them are so laughable and so easily fixed that some dammn fool is going to die out there using his TV knowledge. Then again, Alexander Supertramp and many others managed to die without those shows, so . .
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Sorry, I meant creature comforts of home.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    I think for me I was more hung up on the "be a man" part. Although I realized that was not the connection the commercial was trying to make, I do live in a area of the US that seems to equate fatness and ability to consume massive amounts of food with manliness.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I think there is a major diff between being fat... and being fit AND fat... Now I ain't never going to be a marathon runner... BUT I am fit enough to slog through the bush for a week with a 50 lb pack loaded without the comforts of home... interesting program on right now about a group of guys stranded on the North end of Vancouver Island... I think they started with 12 guys... after 2 weeks they are down to 4 guys... these are the ones that are going to make it the distance unless they get "Lonely"
  • Sinistrous
    Options
    Eh, lots of shows about naked people lately trying to pass for "prime time tv"...

That silly GSN show with the body art, w/e that mess is called >.>

If they have good material, why not..

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Alone - on the History Channel on Thursday evening is freaking creepy, scary, best survival show IMHO. 6 of 10 survival experts quit before a week was up.

I saw part of an episode of Fat Guy In The Woods and had to turn it off as they were obviously city boys that have never even taken a fish off of a hook. I think this show would be fun if you are a novice outdoors-man/woman and wanted to experience things for the first time.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they couldn't get adequate insurance cover for "Skinny Men In The Woods"?
  • Sinistrous
    Options
    Perhaps they couldn't get adequate insurance cover for "Skinny Men In The Woods"?

Or they realize too many mosquitoes? xD
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Alone - on the History Channel on Thursday evening is freaking creepy, scary, best survival show IMHO. 6 of 10 survival experts quit before a week was up.

You need to watch Survivorman, he used to go out alone for 7 days with camera gear and film himself. He would walk through woods with 4' deep snow so he could double back and get a good shot of him walking towards the camera in said 4' deep snow.

tumblr_matvugwCLM1rd4pxuo1_400.jpg
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    0dwHSYb.jpg
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    ^^LOL
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    The name of the show is "Fat Guys in the Woods", and it is legit a real TV show coming out? Da *kitten*?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I thought they already had a show like that and they were trying to find Bigfoot?
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

You need to watch Survivorman, he used to go out alone for 7 days with camera gear and film himself. He would walk through woods with 4' deep snow so he could double back and get a good shot of him walking towards the camera in said 4' deep snow.

Haha, both of these shows are good. Love the Alone one.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can respect suvivorman's work ethic and shelter building but that guy never ate, seriously how does a "survival expert" go out show after show and eat about 6 ants in 7 days? Bear is full of sh#t but he does show you some stuff you could actually consume in the wild.
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Why do people care about living in the woods??? It's so pointless...smh the things people will do for 15 mins of fame
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    *signs up for naked and afraid*
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Why do people care about living in the woods??? It's so pointless...smh the things people will do for 15 mins of fame

umm...my house is in the woods...and I have real life guns and know how to catch and eat game and stuff too...
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    *signs up for naked and afraid*

LOL

Honora needs to get spanked if she has another hissy fit.