eating back your calories

Options
ChantalGG
ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
How much should you be eating back? If you burn 1000 calories from a workout are you supposed to eat all that back/ That is a lot of extra calories to consume.

Replies

• mapexdrummer69
    Options
    This depends on your goals. If you want to lose weight, you create a calorie deficit, and to gain to create a surplus. You can either eat your way into a deficit or excercise into one.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much of a calorie deficit you want to have for the day. The idea is to eat most/all of them back, assuming of course your initial plan has you at a deficit, and you are trying to lose/maintain weight.
  • CNYKrista
    CNYKrista Posts: 61
    Options
    at least half if you can is a good rule of thumb
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    I am trying to do both. i am cutting about 450 calories a day plus exercising away about 100 to 300 calories, which i usually end up eating back. I just dont think i will be able to eat back 1000 calories and if i dont will i go into starvation mode?
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Why wouldn't you eat less and cut the excercise back a bit, unless you just enjoy/prefer it?
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think it depends from your training routine. If you regularly do long session then you would need to plan to eat the right amount before, during and after.
    So in my opinion is not eating them right after the training session.

I hope it makes sense...!
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    I need to work out, my body not in great shape. So i want the work out for that reason.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think the number that gets thrown around for the "starvation mode" is 1200 calories or less.
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    1200 is my caloric intake for the day... I guess i will just have to find out how my body does net week and so on. I have only been on here for 2 weeks now and dropped 6 lbs! I just seems so easy now.
  • debtheteafan
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and glad you asked that, because I do a lot of exercise too and am finding it wierd eating back the calories because it really doesn't feel like I'm on a 'diet' and I'm worried I won't lose weight. But the app does have me on a deficit already, so I'm going to give it a go, make sure not to go over the calorie limit and see if it works!

I can see from my nutrition analysis that I'm well below the fat limit, so I'm just trying to make the calories I do eat back healthy. Although last night I was at the limit of calories I could eat for the day and went for a run just so I could have a couple of crumpets later!!!
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

This is a pretty controversial topic on MFP. You have those that say yes, definitely eat all of them back. Then you have those that say no, you don't have to. I am no expert, but I say do what works best for you. I think the key is trying to net at least your 1200 for the day. That being said, if you are completely stuffed at the end of the day and you still have a few hundred left, I wouldn't worry too much about forcing yourself to eat. I've been struggling with this myself. I lost 2 lbs in 2 days last week when I was eating back most of my calories. I did the same thing the rest of the week and lost nothing more. However, I was literally forcing myself to eat. I work out at night, so it's hard to guesstimate what my burn will look like. I'm eating about every 2 hrs and making healthy choices. For this week, I will try and stick to my routine, but this time I won't force myself to eat if I'm not hungry. Hopefully the scale will show some improvements for me.

So, try it both ways, and see what works for you. Just make sure you don't have too much of a deficit at the end of the day, and don't do that every day. You'll be fine!!
  • Jillatha
    Jillatha Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been eating back all my calories this week and I have lost more lbs and inches than in the previous months than when I didn't eat them back, I also use a marsbar after my big workouts on reccomendation from a PT for recovery, it also takes up a nice chunk of the calories :)
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    I aa going to try to be over 1000 calories and will always eat at least 1200. Mars bar seems crazy and scary to try, I wont be worried if it just cancels out my workout on me. Although i try to do strength training not just cardio so i can up my metabolism. You look amazing Jillatha!