Low Carb

meganstefan
meganstefan Posts: 2
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
I am curious as to how many grams of carbs are allowed in a low carb diet. I am currently eating veggies and meats but a few cheeses and yogurts with 1 glass of soy milk a day. The dairy I knew had a few carbs but I was shocked at how many carbs the veggies naturally had. How many carbs should I have if my weight loss goals are around 60lbs?

Replies

• Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    It depends on the diet plan you are following. Some will recommend 100 or less. Others 20 or less. Regarding carbs in fruits and veggies, most plans allow you to balance the carbs vs the fiber. Meaning, minus the grams of fiber out of the grams of carbs and that's the total carbs for that food. This makes some veggies virtually "carb free".
  • Weight loss goals are based around caloric intake and not macronutrient intake. I.E., carbs will not make you fat. An excess of calories will. On the same note, dropping carbs will not make you lose weight any faster than a "normal" diet.
  • Behavioral
    Behavioral Posts: 60
    Atkins initiation is 20 grams or less of net carbs. Total carbs-fiber=net carbs. Some don't count sugar alcohols, but this is deceiving, not everyone processes them the same. I lost 50 lbs. on Atkins a few years ago and kept it off for quite awhile. Atkins is fine if you aren't doing serious training at the same time. Also, found it hard to maintain. To this day, I can smell plain white sugar in any environment. I did lose like 10 lbs. in the 1st 2 weeks.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I would consider any diet from 30% to 45% calories from carbs as moderate carb diet and anything under 30% as low carb. For reference, a balanced diet consists or carbs ranging from 45-60% of total calories.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Check this out; you might be interested in the 'Primal lifestyle':
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

I keep my carb intake somewhere between 80 and 100 for weight loss and I have seen major improvements with my overall health by staying away from any processed/grain carbs and sticking to veggies. I also stay away from all dairy products except for ghee.

Good Luck!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    I do a 40/30/30 ratio for my macro. 40% is for carbs. You want carbs to help with energy. Carbs help in giving endurance. Protein helps with repairing muscles and actually takes longer to digest. This allows a person to feel satisfied longer.
    No matter what the ratio; to lose weight it is simply calories in vs. calories burned.
This discussion has been closed.