Gastric band advice

Options
13»

Replies

• bahuber5477
    bahuber5477 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Although many people have had many issues with the band I can honestly say that the band has saved my life. I got my band on April 25 of 2013 and I weighed in at over 310 lbs. I am not where I want to be yet but for the first time in my life I know I will get there. I am about 215 now. Losing nearly 100 pounds has given me my life back. It has not been easy but with my tool, exercising every day, and good logging history and staying within my allotted calories and protein goals i steadily lose weight. The band has taught me how to eat. I eat slow, I eat lean protein and vegetables and after that I have little room for extras. I follow up weekly with my bariatric nurse and weigh in and I have a strong relationship with my bariatric surgeon. These things are very essential. Although i know complications may arise and I may have to convert to another surgery or something similar I know that will be sustainable and I will know what is expected and how to eat healthy. For me it was something that I sort of saw as a last option. For me the lap band was a gift through and through. Although I could of possibly learned to do this all on my own (although my history has proven otherwise) the lap band forced me to make a lifestyle change weather i was ready or not and I needed this!

Good luck in your choice. If i was to recommend one bariatric surgery over the next I would say you have to research each one and decide whats best for you. Most people are choosing the sleeve right now. I work in the recovery room therefore I know a lot of complications and I know the percentage of people getting revisions and stuff like that so its an eye opener. I will say that a lot of band problems are related to people not following the lap band rules, keeping it to tight and ignoring warning signs. This is not always the case however. Every surgery has risks and benefits. For me, atleast to date, the benefits have outweighed the risks.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot anyway nor do I eat *kitten*. If I could do it without surgery I'd not still be fat right now. Surgery is my final option or its stay fat for life. It's partly also for potentially eradicating my type 2 diabetes that I'd considered the op also. I don't exercise much but even when I did used to go to the gym it never made a difference. Everyone's body works in a different way and that's what people need to understand. I know skiing people who eat like a horse but cause they don't gain weight no one bothers to moan at them for unhealthy eating habits yet of you're fat you automatically must eat *kitten*, loads of it and be a total pig. This is not always the case and it's about time people realised that. I have a friend who is like me also. Doesn't eat much, eats pretty well, is full easily yet she's also over wright but carries it better as is like 6ft tall so even though she weighs more than me she doesn't look as bad so her weight isn't an issue to her. Having a good or bad relationship with food isn't always truly reflected by a persons weight. The nhs don't tend to offer the bypass anyway unless the circumstances are extreme because of the dangers. The band is still the most common type offered.

It seems like you've made your mind up then. I'm not sure why you requested advice and then are getting angry with those providing it. I say do what works best for you. As you stated every body is different I agree. I think most people are just trying to save you the pain of a major surgery, because surgery is MAJOR and we would hope you are able to put yourself in the safest and healthiest position possible. I wish you all the best!
  • kraull2001
    kraull2001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am writing on behalf of my wife. She had a lapband done 2 yrs ago. At the time she was 5'6.5" and 282 lbs. The weight was going the wrong way. She had tried every program on the planet and had even worked with her DR on a couple prescription med methods as well. At the time (age38) she was still showing healthy at her physicals, but with history of Type 2 Diabetes, heart and lung disease and strokes in her family she knew she had to try something.
    Here's the big thing - this surgery forced her to remake her lifestyle. She HAD to change how and what she ate. Sure, she could cheat and this could fail as well, but there was and is a constant reminder for her when eating.
    She has lost 100 lbs and has now changed how our entire household eats. I myself have lost 20 lbs and am embarassed to say I am no match to her excersice. She eats healthy and excersices every day. She enjoys her FITBIT challenges and loves to get excited about putting in another record # of Steps (currently just under 30,000 in 1 day).
    She does have challenges with the Band. Being adjustable helps but the psychological impact of defilling the band as she had it to tight was hard for her. She still struggles with food getting stuck, and sometimes not because she is eating wrong. Little things like stress or minor illness can affect eating, but she still says she would not trade it for anything and would do it all over again.
  • lfrbs
    lfrbs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm about to have my band op tomorrow, reading some of the frankly scare stories from some and other success stories from others is just making me more determined to make the band work for me. Like others have said sure you can regain all the weight you lost IF you dont eat slowly, healthily and properly with small portions, not just temporarily (like a diet) but for life. But in most cases when done right, if you work with the band, dont cheat, do exercise you will have weight loss. I may even report back to let you know how it's going x
  • lfrbs
    Options
    Quick update: 2 & Half weeks after my band and I've lost 43 pounds in total (3 Stone) I can only eat a tiny amount but I love it already, my BMI has plummeted and I'm feeling great.
  • josh6466
    josh6466 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, and try a different diet first. I was on weight watchers multiple times. I lost a lot the first time, but on subsequent times I either didn't lose weight or actually gained. You may need to do something different. My doctor has me on a ketogenic (essentially Atkins )plan, and it's the first time I have lost weight consistently in years. The truth of the matter is that if you are going to make a food low fat, as many foods are trying to do, you have to replace the fat with something. that's usually carbohydrates. I apparently am sensitive to this, and they cause me not to lose weight. There is a body of evidence that suggests -but does not prove - that high carb-low fat diets do more harm than good. I won't cite sources here because it's to a good degree anecdotal.

It's not a panacea, and it's definitely not for everyone. I'd talk to your doctor before trying it. It will, however, be cheaper than surgery and won't be hard to reverse if it's not working.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Congrats
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Everybody I know that did some form of banding regrets it. Many have had to go in to fix slipping issues, which meant another surgery, more pain, extra scarring, and more recovery. They will be on vitamins for the rest of their lives. They did not learn how to eat properly, so most of them gained it back after a year or two.

On the flip side, the friends that had gastric bypass, removal of a large chunk of stomach, have fared better with recovery and have had less complications. They'll still have to take daily vitamins, watch what they eat, and keep active to keep the weight off and their health in good standing.

Both of those options do nothing more than restrict how much you can consume at one time. If you can't use moderation now, I promise you'll find a way around the healthy diet with the band. Sure, you can only eat a few ounces at a time, but after that food has passed out of the stomach, which takes about 30-45 minutes, you can eat more! You can still consume over your daily allowance with the band. Both options stress a good diet and moderate exercise. If you can't do those now, the band will fail within 2 years. Either learn moderation or wire your mouth shut so that you can't eat.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I would avoid all surgical options you can. I used to make all kinds of excuses, snack and not count it etc. but I started MFP and vowed to be completely honest with my journal and log every single crumb of food. When I did that, followed the routine(suggested calorie intake, and focused my calories in healthy foods, I began to loose weight.

The first thing I learned is you can not out exercise a poor diet. The next thing I learned is that you won't die if you get hungry between meals, hunger is good and helps you appreciate the next meal you get. After a few months you begin to learn which foods to eat to help you feel fuller, and you start WANTING to exercise more frequently because it actually makes you feel better.

In the end though if you eat at a calorie deficit you WILL loose weight. If you want to keep it off it won't be a diet anymore it will simply be how you eat for the rest of your life. Do you want to starve all day so you can drink 2 mochas? or eat a fat piece of cake? Or do you want to eat a huge chicken salad and feel full the rest of the afternoon? Only one of those choices is sustainable for any length of time....
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery July 2011 - so just over 4 years ago. I've been able to maintain an approx 90 lbs weight loss - down from my highest weight of 357. I'm not at my goal weight and to be honest I've been at a standstill for a couple of years. However, I blame that entirely on myself. I'm working to get back the mental motivation that I had when I first decided to go through with the surgery. That's something that no procedure, doctor, diet, whatever can fix. That's totally on me and I own every bit of it.

My decision to get lapband over the other WLS options was done after months of research and introspection. I had very specific reasons for electing lapband. Among them, I actually didn't want or need a rapid weight loss. I wanted a tool to help me as I revamped my entire relationship with food and exercise. I wanted to learn how to make healthy food choices and portion control. The band simply serves as an aid and not a fix or miracle. I also wanted to minimize as much as I could the effects of rapid weight loss in the form of sagging skin. I knew I would have sagging skin regardless, however I didn't want to compound it by unecessarily losing weight too rapidly. I also have a family history of cancer. There are some cancer treatments you become ineligible for if you have had the bypass or sleeve. And finally, I wanted the lapband because it is totally reversible. My plan is to have it eventually removed once I've attained and maintained my goal weight.

There have been some side effects. I had to have gall bladder surgery about 9 months after the lap band. Gall stones are actually common after significant and rapid weight loss. Since the gallbladder surgery, I haven't had anymore of those related issues (pain, vomitting, etc). Food does occasionally get stuck. That's a reminder to eat more slowly and chew my food longer. I've also had to get adjustments from time to time. There are certain foods that give me more trouble than others (salmon, eggs, bread)- again it's important to eat these foods slowly and chew well.

Overall, I'm happy with my decision and would probably make the same choice if I had to do over again. I think the most important thing is to be realistic about your goals and expectations as well as the work that is required of YOU to be successful. Like any other surgery, there are risks and everyone reacts uniquely. Take your time to research and consider your options and make the decision that you feel is best for you.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor but it sounds like a quick fix. I would choose to learn to make healthier food choices, exercise and activity. Surgery sounds like a fast fix and I'm sure it will be but without an understanding of how to live your life with all the food temptations then you'll be right back on the same track you've been on just $20,000 in the hole.
    Good luck.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    No matter what procedure you opt to (not a fan of the lap band as I have seen a couple of my friends have complications only to have the band removed and gain the weight back) IT IS ONLY A TOOL....you still have to make a lifestyle change and commit.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to think about it since the results vary so much. I'd approach the idea with great caution. I have heard some success stories, and then there's my friend who had it done 2 years ago. At first she had a lot of problems like dumping, heartburn, nausea, the whole nine yards. She initially did lose a lot of weight during the first year. However, no sooner did she stop talking about horrible side effects than she began to gain it all back, and now, 2 years down the road, she's just as fat as she ever was. Has anybody in your family had it done, someone whose body and health is similar to yours, so that you could look at their results and discuss the experience with them?
  • lfrbs
    Options
    Update 1: It's 6 Weeks since having Gastric Band surgery I've kept mostly to a healthy eating regime, I've been excising regularly and so far lost 51 pounds since my very heaviest. A few more pounds to go and I'll no longer be obese! My horrific sleep apnea has dissapeared, I feel much more awake during the day and I feel much more active and healthier. I've been almost strictly following the 20/20/20 rule (google it) and apart from a few crisps I've been eating very healthy. My band isn't an easy way of loosing weight, reading some people saying such things on here is like telling an alcoholic the help they're getting is cheating and it's an easy way out, or telling a recovering drug addict that the help they got was cheating. Loosing weight, being banded and trying to stick to your new lifestyle is very much like recovering from a highly addictive substance, Some rare cases certain people can go cold turkey and go to a Gym and loose weight and keep it off, most.....can't and like me, some realize they need help to maintain weight loss long term either by having a band, sleeve or bypass.

Ofcourse there are dangers with any surgery, I believe there are far more dangers by remaining obese.

A Gastric band will never stop you from stuffing your face and eating as much as you want, that's why so many people fail after having had it. You have to restrict yourself by eating slower, sensible portions and the band will help by not making you feel so hungry all the time. People who have failed with the band I think weren't told this and expected it to do all the work, It wont. And that's why it's not the easy way out, because You have to do all the hard work, the band just helps.

I can report back to let you know if I've had to eat my words x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!