I hate birthdays

Options
I hate birthdays. It not about getting older with the aches and pains or my slower metabolism at 48 years. It is about the festive bad foods and drinks that accompanies birthdays. At Christmas and other holidays, there might be a few special weakness presented. But at Birthdays your supposed loving family makes all your favorite foods sometimes at every meal and occasionally, like this past one, all weekend long.

How can you say "no" to your spouse who secretly makes your favorite homemade blueberry muffins or your 12 Hearld daughter who makes a delicious homemade chocolate birthday cake from scratch?

As I soberly stepped on the scale this morning and saw 7 days of good eating and exercise go to waste from a day and a half of self-abuse, I rejoice that birthdays come but once a year and with a new resolve for a better body next year.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way...birthdays/special occasions/holidays are few and far between compared to every other day. Focus on your goals, and if there's a time you have a celebration planned, enjoy it. Going over wont put you back where you started.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My birthday was last week and my staff bought and/or made me lunch three days. Then my mom visited and we ate out. And I also went out with my husband and daughter one night. I ate a lot and ended up with a lot of sodium/carb bloat but...I'm okay with it. Yeah, I did feel a bit BLECH by the end of the week but I wouldn't necessarily do it differently next year. It's really just one week a year and when I think of that and then give or take a few holidays, I think it all evens out in the long run. No big deal.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just have a birthday in mid January and have no close relatives, your birthday will go pretty much completely unnoticed. Works for me! Now this isn't about saying poor me but really, I think I like your version of a birthday more than mine. It's only once a year and you're pretty darn lucky people care about you enough to make a big deal, so embrace it and just get right back to goal afterwards.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've eaten a piece of my own birthday cake in over 20 years. What I find is that sometimes other people want to celebrate the way they've always done it for everyone. My coworkers still get me cake, even though I never eat it. They like to celebrate with a slice, and as long as I'm thankful, they don't seem to mind if I'm eating it or not!
    With my family, they always take me out for dinner, and I choose the restaurant (we all do that on our birthdays). That way I look for something we've never tried before, or something that makes it "worth it" to me.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    For me, one birthday isn't going to derail my progress. Sure someone might have made a cake... that doesn't mean I need to eat the whole thing. I'll have a small slice and usually that's good.

As for a spouse making your favorite food? That's wonderful and a really sweet thing to do. My boyfriend knows my goals and what I will and won't eat. Granted, if he decides to surprise me with something I absolutely love (I can't say no to Crab Rangoon...it's weird), I'll enjoy it, log it and move on.

I also try to plan ahead for celebrations or things that would be "out of the ordinary" for my diet. If I know someone has a birthday or celebration coming up, I'll fit it into my calories, macros, log whatever I indulge on and move on.

Also keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate - weight loss isn't linear and try not to a celebration or enjoying a day or two as a catastrophe. I think as long as you're setting yourself up for good, sustainable habits in the long run, a birthday shouldn't have TOO much of an impact on your long-term goals.

For me, life should be lived. And what I'm doing is a lifestyle. It's not a specific diet, it doesn't have an end date. This is what I do. I weigh my food, track my macros, log to the point of obsession, and I'm ok with that. And if I go out with friends or celebrate that's ok. Because - to me - it's also about the celebration and all of the thought that goes into each celebration.

Sorry for the rant, OP. :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Remember what your birthday represents in the first place. The celebration of your life. Don't forget to live it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Birthdays happen. Thanksgiving dinners happen. You're lucky that you have so much love in your life that someone is there to make food for you and think of you. Count your blessings, log the food, move on.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A few days (week) is o.k. Then you get back to your plan and you feel great about sticking to you goals.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jahnlaw wrote: »
    I hate birthdays. It not about getting older with the aches and pains or my slower metabolism at 48 years. It is about the festive bad foods and drinks that accompanies birthdays. At Christmas and other holidays, there might be a few special weakness presented. But at Birthdays your supposed loving family makes all your favorite foods sometimes at every meal and occasionally, like this past one, all weekend long.

How can you say "no" to your spouse who secretly makes your favorite homemade blueberry muffins or your 12 Hearld daughter who makes a delicious homemade chocolate birthday cake from scratch?

As I soberly stepped on the scale this morning and saw 7 days of good eating and exercise go to waste from a day and a half of self-abuse, I rejoice that birthdays come but once a year and with a new resolve for a better body next year.
    You tell your spouse you're watching what you eat and do not want anything special food wise for your birthday.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You have one birthday a year. Even with Christmas, my 3 children's birthdays, my birthday/hubby's birthday (we have the same birthday) and Easter, I've still lost weight. A few days in a year of going over calories is not going to derail your progress if you eat at a deficit the rest of the year.

It's all about a healthy, balanced lifestyle. It's my wedding anniversary next month, and on the same day we're going out for my SIL's 30th birthday. I'm going to enjoy a meal out and some cocktails. I exercise loads, I do at least 10,000 steps a day and I consistently eat at a deficit. I honestly don't think 1 day will make a difference.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Unless you eat like your birthday every day, it won't hurt you to do it one day, or even a few days. Your calorie goal will still be there when it's over.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm generally one to stand by the "just say no" group when it comes to food pushers, etc. but I cannot imagine refusing to eat a muffin that my husband made special for me for my birthday or a piece of cake that my daughter made me from scratch for my birthday. A giant muffin and a piece of cake is around 1000 calories total. Just not a big deal to me.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's one day. I'd rather eat the food that my family lovingly prepared, than not. You can make up for those calories over the coming weeks. It's not the end of the world.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yeah my birthday is always ignored too. I have to take the path of "appreciate that you have such wonderful people around you that love you and recognize such things." Eat a small bit, log it, and give the person who put the thought and effort into it extra hugs and kisses. I'd absolutely melt into a puddle if my husband did something special for me. :-)
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    True Story: I gained five lbs in one day after my birthday. It took four weeks to get it back off. I am glad they only come once a year.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Basically my birthday is the only time someone else cooks for me so I love it. I have Celiac disease so I usually can't eat much at the various holidays and b-day parties I attend but on my b-day my boss always brings in a gluten free dessert and my mom makes gluten free lasagna with a gluten free cake for dessert. My husband always takes me out for dinner one night. It's awesome. I don't see an issue...it's literally once a year!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hahaha. I'm exactly the opposite. Because I don't eat these things every day, I LOVE when birthdays give me a reason to eat them. Presents are awesome too. Birthdays are a celebration that I've lived another year, which is the best gift of all. Birthdays are big deals in my family.

Even if the celebration is over the top and I gain a few lbs, so what? I know how to lose them again.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    just eat some.

With the operative word being some. For me to set myself back a whole week in 1.5 days, I have to eat at a rate of 5750 calories/day. That isn't happening by eating out, eating a muffin, and a slice of cake.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sad post is sad.

OP, most of the weight you gained is likely water retention from eating higher carb and sodium foods than normal. Give it a few days, hydrate, and don't hate on celebrations because you're trying to lose weight.

ETA: You know your birthday is coming every year....you can always cut your calories back a little bit the few days before to balance out a high calorie day. Same with holidays, parties, nights out, etc....
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Eating lots on special occasions just means you're going to delay reaching your goal weight by a couple of days. It's no big deal.