Sleeping problems

Options

Replies

• Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Keith3481 wrote: »
    I had a sleep problem that ended up being due to serotonin imbalance (too low). I sleep really well now that I'm on citalopram.

How they find that out? Sleep studies?

My doctor tried me out on temazepam first but that didn't work, so he guessed that I might have a serotonin problem since it runs in my family. He tried me out on citalopram and I went from 4 hours of sleep a night to 10 hours of sleep a night. The issue is it takes about 6-8 weeks for it to stabilize in your brain so you don't see instant results. After about six months he tried to take me off it to prove that was the problem and I went back down to 4 hours of sleep. He put me back on citalopram and I've been on it about a year and a half without any sleep problems the whole time.

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    No to the first, but I had a decade of my life racked with insomnia. What's the issue?

ENT think my big o tonsils are having adverse effects on the quality of my sleep. Having surgery in three weeks to get them out.

Also this doctor things that it will cure my snoring habits. I can't even cuddle with a woman while sleeping because they will complain that when I fall asleep I snore so loud. I find that this issue I am willing to stay positive that it will at least decrease how loud I snore.

Tonsils can be a huge issue in causing sleep problems, so having them removed is probably going to do a lot more good than you think. If your tonsils at any point block your airway you get breathing stoppages so you basically have symptoms of sleep apnea without true apnea. (I work at a sleep disorder facility, we do sleep studies and deal with apnea patients a LOT).

Anyway, good luck!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've had strep throat where my tonsils and uvula (dangly thing) swelled up so bad that I was scared to go to sleep for fear of not being able to breathe. If yours are as large as you say, then I'd trust my doc and have them removed. As you age, your tonsils should wither up to the point that they are barely noticeable. There's obviously something going on there.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I actually snore sometimes when I am awake. Then I do the shallow or stop breathing and almost snort to resume breathing.

I also notice I have to eat less then the calculators to lose weight which can be tied to lack of good sleep. ENT says that can lower my BMR which lowers TDEE. It all makes sense now and something has to change if it can help.
    You once made fun of me for saying the same thing. Jokes were made by others. A whole bunch of people had a good time laughing about what a dumb thing it was to say.

Get yourself a sleep study. If you need bipap/CPAP, it's not that bad. People get used to it quickly and come to like it. It's not even that bad for your girlfriend. I spent a long time with a guy who needed one. He didn't want the study or the machine, but had so much more energy and was so glad I pushed. I wanted him to be healthy, but hated it later, lol. I got used to it, though and it wasn't bad.

Apnea is correlated with TIAs. You don't want apnea.

A tonsillectomy is easy. People usually recover lickety-split. I had throat surgery and although everyone thinks ice cream is the ticket afterwards, I found that room temp juice or pop (sugar pop, not diet) was much more soothing. And unsalted broth, at home. Warm, not hot. I dunno if you'll have the same experience, but mention it in case you want to pick some up. I had to send my son to the store. Fwiw.

Bring a notebook to the hospital in case you don't feel like talking right away. I couldn't. They said I'd be able to, but I couldn't. Too much pain.

Good luck.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I actually snore sometimes when I am awake. Then I do the shallow or stop breathing and almost snort to resume breathing.

I also notice I have to eat less then the calculators to lose weight which can be tied to lack of good sleep. ENT says that can lower my BMR which lowers TDEE. It all makes sense now and something has to change if it can help.
    You once made fun of me for saying the same thing. Jokes were made by others. A whole bunch of people had a good time laughing about what a dumb thing it was to say.

Get yourself a sleep study. If you need bipap/CPAP, it's not that bad. People get used to it quickly and come to like it. It's not even that bad for your girlfriend. I spent a long time with a guy who needed one. He didn't want the study or the machine, but had so much more energy and was so glad I pushed. I wanted him to be healthy, but hated it later, lol. I got used to it, though and it wasn't bad.

Apnea is correlated with TIAs. You don't want apnea.

A tonsillectomy is easy. People usually recover lickety-split. I had throat surgery and although everyone thinks ice cream is the ticket afterwards, I found that room temp juice or pop (sugar pop, not diet) was much more soothing. And unsalted broth, at home. Warm, not hot. I dunno if you'll have the same experience, but mention it in case you want to pick some up. I had to send my son to the store. Fwiw.

Bring a notebook to the hospital in case you don't feel like talking right away. I couldn't. They said I'd be able to, but I couldn't. Too much pain.

Good luck.

I already talked about CPAP above. I hated it. When I would feel like I was snoring the machine would wake me up almost like it was choking me. It would force me to breath through my nose and I can barely do that.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used to snore very badly. Not enough for sleep apnea, but I was LOUD. I'd had tonsillitis and strep so many times as a kid (but my pediatrician had told my mom that I'd "grow out of it", and that "they" were trying to get away from taking tonsils out). Well...guess what? I didn't. My junior year of college, I got tonsillitis so bad that I needed two rounds of antibiotics, and wound up spending 2 nights in the nurse's office, so they could monitor my breathing (my tonsils were so swollen that it was difficult to breathe). Saw an ENT when I was home on winter break, and was scheduled for a tonsillectomy (and andenoidectomy, since I was also prone to sinus infections) for when I was home from school in May. When I got them out, the ENT said that my tonsils were the largest "healthy" tonsils he had seen in his 30 year career (due to all the scar tissue from all of the infections), and asked me if I wanted to keep them. When I said no, he asked if I minded if HE kept them! LOL :)

In the 17 years since I had them out, I've gotten one sinus infection and strep twice (before, they were each at least an annual occurrence, usually more), and my snoring is almost gone (it will never go away completely, because I am a mouth breather when I sleep, but when I do snore now, it is very light/quiet).

That said....having your tonsils out as an adult is NOT fun. I was 21. Thankfully, being in college at the time, and being home for the summer, I didn't have a normal job (since it was a planned surgery in mid-May, I didn't bother starting my summer job until the beginning of June). Thank goodness, because I would not have been able to function at any sort of job for the first week to 10 days. I lost probably 10 pounds, because I barely ate. When I started my summer job (which was helping in the office at a screen printing place, so it wasn't like I was on my feet all day), I only worked 6 hours a day and was EXHAUSTED by the end of my shift. And to be perfectly honest, I didn't feel "normal" for a full month. :( So be prepared there.

Side note - my tonsils were so big, that they were impeding on my vocal chords, and the tone of my voice actually changed after I had them out. It was very strange. LOL :)

ETA - second side note - I do not know what actual "normal" tonsils look like. my husband still has his, and when he was sick, he asked me to look and see if his tonsils were swollen. I could barely see them and was like "nope, not at all". He got out of bed and looked himself and was like "what are you talking about? they're huge!" I just shrugged and was like "sorry...those are not even half the size mine used to be when I was healthy" LOL :tongue:
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    I've had strep throat where my tonsils and uvula (dangly thing) swelled up so bad that I was scared to go to sleep for fear of not being able to breathe. If yours are as large as you say, then I'd trust my doc and have them removed. As you age, your tonsils should wither up to the point that they are barely noticeable. There's obviously something going on there.

I got mono early june. I could not talk for five days because of the swelling. My nose sucks so I knew I would have to breath through my mouth. I have trouble taking baby pills and took liquid penicillin. Weird thing is I could not sleep for more than four hours for the whole first week and I could not stay awake for more than two hours. I had a lot of hour naps and the only thing I stayed awake to watch was Lebron getting beat in the finals. That I could actually stay up to watch the whole game.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    I used to snore very badly. Not enough for sleep apnea, but I was LOUD. I'd had tonsillitis and strep so many times as a kid (but my pediatrician had told my mom that I'd "grow out of it", and that "they" were trying to get away from taking tonsils out). Well...guess what? I didn't. My junior year of college, I got tonsillitis so bad that I needed two rounds of antibiotics, and wound up spending 2 nights in the nurse's office, so they could monitor my breathing (my tonsils were so swollen that it was difficult to breathe). Saw an ENT when I was home on winter break, and was scheduled for a tonsillectomy (and andenoidectomy, since I was also prone to sinus infections) for when I was home from school in May. When I got them out, the ENT said that my tonsils were the largest "healthy" tonsils he had seen in his 30 year career (due to all the scar tissue from all of the infections), and asked me if I wanted to keep them. When I said no, he asked if I minded if HE kept them! LOL :)

In the 17 years since I had them out, I've gotten one sinus infection and strep twice (before, they were each at least an annual occurrence, usually more), and my snoring is almost gone (it will never go away completely, because I am a mouth breather when I sleep, but when I do snore now, it is very light/quiet).

That said....having your tonsils out as an adult is NOT fun. I was 21. Thankfully, being in college at the time, and being home for the summer, I didn't have a normal job (since it was a planned surgery in mid-May, I didn't bother starting my summer job until the beginning of June). Thank goodness, because I would not have been able to function at any sort of job for the first week to 10 days. I lost probably 10 pounds, because I barely ate. When I started my summer job (which was helping in the office at a screen printing place, so it wasn't like I was on my feet all day), I only worked 6 hours a day and was EXHAUSTED by the end of my shift. And to be perfectly honest, I didn't feel "normal" for a full month. :( So be prepared there.

Side note - my tonsils were so big, that they were impeding on my vocal chords, and the tone of my voice actually changed after I had them out. It was very strange. LOL :)

ETA - second side note - I do not know what actual "normal" tonsils look like. my husband still has his, and when he was sick, he asked me to look and see if his tonsils were swollen. I could barely see them and was like "nope, not at all". He got out of bed and looked himself and was like "what are you talking about? they're huge!" I just shrugged and was like "sorry...those are not even half the size mine used to be when I was healthy" LOL :tongue:

I don't think this will be as bad as mono was for me. Drinking water would burn my throat. I get sore throat and strep throat between the months of January to end of February every year and they have been getting worse as I age.

ENT DR said I talk like I have golf balls in my mouth. Like I have no airflow to my nose from the blockage. New people tell me I talk like I am always congested because I am.
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So I goggle tonsillitis to see what is that and it looks like mono to me. Those images is how my tonsils look. I could see the mono disappear everyday looking into my throat in the mirror. I did double dose myself with Dr approval.

I guess I should see what the difference is because mono at this age was no joke. Also not the first time getting flu like symptoms with only kissing a woman. I think I should be covered for all kissing infections now. My cousin though I was dying and my brother asked me every day are you feeling any pain like its time to go to the er if you do. Getting mono I got to see how the basic functions were affected. Standing for five minutes no matter the temperature I would sweat. Eating 200 calories of soup put me to sleep. Watching a movie if I could not focus put me to sleep. Talking and drinking water were the two hardest things to do at that time. Talking sounded like I just got a retainer put in if anyone can relate to that.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Tonsillitis is an infection of the tonsils (bacterial). Strep is also a bacterial infection. Both can be treated by antibiotics.

Mono is caused by a virus, and can NOT be treated with antibiotics. You just have to let mono run its course, which can takes weeks to months before you're feeling normal.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of the snoring aids yet? I am also the not-proud owner of a pair of giant tonsils, which used to get strep/tonsillitis multiple times per year. When I was younger a friend's spouse got their tonsils out and spent at least a month repeatedly running to the hospital because they wouldn't heal and she'd wake up choking on blood. I swore I would never get mine out no matter what. So if you have any other options left to deal with the snoring I do suggest exploring those first. Unless they've come up with new ways to make the procedure less risky and painful.

But whatever you do, good luck with it.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are many types of machines and masks today. A good doc and a good tech should be able to get properly fitted. Just because you had probs once doesn't mean there is no solution that will work for you. Please consider trying again because if apnea is a prob it should be addressed.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Have you tried any of the snoring aids yet? I am also the not-proud owner of a pair of giant tonsils, which used to get strep/tonsillitis multiple times per year. When I was younger a friend's spouse got their tonsils out and spent at least a month repeatedly running to the hospital because they wouldn't heal and she'd wake up choking on blood. I swore I would never get mine out no matter what. So if you have any other options left to deal with the snoring I do suggest exploring those first. Unless they've come up with new ways to make the procedure less risky and painful.

But whatever you do, good luck with it.

People who I sleep around who don't know me seem to think that I have a issue breathing while sleeping.

how long ago was the bold?
  • redshadow310
    redshadow310 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started using a CPAP machine 1 year ago this month and it has changed my life. I used to fall asleep constantly during the day, but now I am awake and alert throughout the day. I have been a loud snorer since I was very young, but when people suggested I had apnea I would dismiss them. Eventually with my job at risk and better insurance I had my self tested. My breathing was stopping nearly once per minute throughout the night.

After the first couple weeks it is very easy to adjust to wearing the mask. I also tend to toss and turn a lot at night but I have had no issues with the mask or the tubing.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I was talking with a friend who has told me she had her taken out while ago due to getting strep throat 8 times in 2 months. She claims it should help me with my issues. To her I am the loudest snorer she has ever heard which I find to be a problem.
  • ddrhellbunny
    ddrhellbunny Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I actually had the same problem in my teens and early 20's. I got tonsillitis 8 times in one year and the last one was so bad it swelled my tonsils 3x's their size. I had a hard time breathing, and swallowing.

The straw that broke the camels back was when I stopped breathing one night from the tonsils blocking my airway and luckily I woke myself up, but it was terrifying. That's when I said no more and had my tonsils removed. Got them out at 21, had a 3 day recovery and haven't had that problem since.

So, if I were you, I'd go over with your GP and figure out if that's the best option for you.

Good luck!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    They were not joking about recovery for tonsillectomy. No bleeding. It's day six and the pain gets worse and worse.

You all were not kidding about the changes on how I can breath.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you tonsils have to go. Good luck with the op.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    One thing that sucks are the nights. I cannot sleep through the night and my body wakes me up in pain at 5 AM no matter what time I go to sleep.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One thing that sucks are the nights. I cannot sleep through the night and my body wakes me up in pain at 5 AM no matter what time I go to sleep.
    IF the pain is getting worse, you need to call your doctors.
    And get one of those docs to give you some pain medications or something temporary to help with sleep.
    Take it easy on yourself and eat food at maintenance for healing.
    I hope that you feel better.