Don't feel obligated to read this :)

Options
My name is Emily, I'm 18 years old, I'm about 5'9", and I currently weigh 250 lbs.

I've been overweight since childhood, and I've recently tipped into the "obese" category, and I'm not going to accept that. I'm going to reverse it.

My goal weight is 165 lbs, which is a health weight for me according to my doctor. I've never been "fit" before, so this is going to be a whole new experience for me.

I'm going into college this fall and I'm planning to become a teacher. I want to be able to set a good example for my students and the people around me who are overweight.

If you did happen to read this and you have any tips or advice, please send them to me :) . (I'm new to this app, so if I seem inexperienced, it's because I am!)

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Wanting to change is the first step. Good for you on moving forward. :)
  • lizzieollie502
    lizzieollie502 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight for most of my life. I wish I would of started back in college. Good Luck to you.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! :smile:
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily, start by adding some friends. Feel free to add me.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I wish I had felt that way before I "tipped into" morbidly obese. We can work our way back, though, one pound at a time. :)
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Walking while doing something you enjoy is fun, just find a park or track. Having your head in a book, your phone, ancient scroll or other object while crossing streets isn't the smartest move. Best regards.
  • EmilyJ1096
    EmilyJ1096 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your support! :) one pound at a time, anything is progress.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Do you have a food scale?
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Don't do too much too soon. No need to go all "kale and brown rice" if that's not what you've been eating. Track what you eat, and see where you can make changes and reduce portions.
    Get a food scale and WEIGH EVERYTHING SOLID. Measure all liquids.
    Once you start paying attention to the calories that are in the foods you eat and like, you'll be able to make educated changes.
    For example, I was eating yogurt for breakfast. 180 cals a cup. Mostly sugar and hardly any protein. I decided to make a change to a non fat greek yogurt with 12g of protein. Still the same food, but less calories, less sugar, and triple the protein.
    Little changes like that make a big difference!
  • EmilyJ1096
    Options
    Thanks, @jaqcan
    I do have a tendency to try and just start completely over, and it's overwhelmed me before, but not this time!
  • EmilyJ1096
    Options
    @Debmal77 no, I haven't gotten one.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    EmilyJ1096 wrote: »
    @Debmal77 no, I haven't gotten one.

Trust me. It would be the best $20 you ever spent on yourself. Start weighing and entering your food. Weight loss starts in the kitchen!
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Emily - My advice, when you reach your target weight (and you can), don't stop tracking food (just change your goals to maintaining which means a slightly higher calorie target). In 2008 I weighed 262 lbs. After tracking calories and exercising, by mid 2010, I was down to 175! But then i took 3 or 4 (or 5?) years off and gradually worked up to 253 again (This past january).. Argh!! I should've continued watching. I'm floating around 230 lately, but working hard to lose.