arthritis in the knee issue

Options
are there anybody else on here that has problems with their me I have arthritis in my left knee and I'm losing the cartlidge and I'm just trying to figure out what workout are best to help get my cardio in but also easy on the knee. what works best for you?
thank you in advance

Replies

• DaveAFC79
    DaveAFC79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my knees so I've been using a rowing machine. Had no problems so far as its quite low impact so might be worth giving that a go
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I suffer from arthritis in nearly every joint. Swimming does wonders. Get my cardio and my joints feel a lot better after too :)
  • tishbite39
    tishbite39 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in both knees. It can be rather painful. I walk on the treadmill with no incline (PT told me it puts more stress on the joint). I also use a seated elliptical. Any type of squat or leg press just go easy. You don't want a lot of pain if you bend too deep.
  • BarDownSnipe
    BarDownSnipe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues. I can't run at all without significant pain. I can do the elliptical and low impact as suggested. I've found treading water for 20 mins a day when things get really bad helps alot. Also, try concentrated cherry syrup. 1 tablespoon a day. Also for me if I cut out dairy it reduces swelling. Good luck, keep moving.
  • jirwin323
    jirwin323 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - no knee cartilage as well and was told to stop any form of exercise that stressed the knee or involved pounding. I now both bike and swim daily. The pain is always close by but I'm getting my cardio in and limiting the injury to my knees.
  • BabsG2014
    BabsG2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also have arthritis in many joints. Had knee replacement surgery last year and must do only low pact exercise. Water aerobics is the best exercise I have found. I get a full body workout with very little pain. A recumbent stationary bike is also very good for the knees.
  • BabsG2014
    BabsG2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I meant low impact. Typo
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    swimming. and/or any water activity from aerobics to jogging
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've found that a diet which is low in foods that cause me inflammation helps reduce pain in my knees and hips a lot. I'm walking for exercise now, which I wasn't able to do a few months ago.

Good luck
  • kitgrant
    kitgrant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Swimming is how I deal with my knee arthritis and joint pain. Stationary cycling too on a reclining bike also helps if I'm not feeling up for a swim.
  • jaeisla
    jaeisla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Swimming and biking are the first options that come to mind. Check out "FitSk8Chick" on YouTube. She's had several knee surgeries and has several suggestions on cardio alternative s for people with knee problems.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    lovecrystaljoy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Wow guys im blown away by all the feed back thank I most definitely need to do some swimming and stationary biking thank you guys so much
  • jepo27
    jepo27 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hey there, I just found out today that I have stage 2 osteoarthritis in my left knee (at age 31!) My doctor said the best way to combat and slow down the degeneration is by losing weight. I just wanted to say, that I am also in the same boat and that I plan on taking up aqua aerobics once a week (can't afford more than one class a week). Be great to have someone else to share the extra barrier faced on the exercise front as well as the tough road of dieting :/
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing how, if you are doing squats correctly there is no problems with your knees. Well, I must be doing them wrong, they kill my knees. I have problems with yoga too. Walking is difficult too. And constant pain for me. I have had knee surgery, shots...maybe I should look at a diet of anti inflammatory foods....willing to try anything!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Multiple knee injuries and surgeries over 30 years, and osteoarthritis to boot. Swimming is my go-to. It's my fave exercise, and it's easy on the joints. If I'm landlocked and have to go to the gym, I like recumbent stationary bike and the eliptical machines (both the round and the round kind and the Gazelle swingy kind.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    jepo27 wrote: »
    hey there, I just found out today that I have stage 2 osteoarthritis in my left knee (at age 31!) My doctor said the best way to combat and slow down the degeneration is by losing weight. I just wanted to say, that I am also in the same boat and that I plan on taking up aqua aerobics once a week (can't afford more than one class a week). Be great to have someone else to share the extra barrier faced on the exercise front as well as the tough road of dieting :/

Wow yeah i was just diganosed as well 2weeks ago and im.31 I thought man thats too young to be getting this now. Im also in the same boat $$ wise for water Arabics so im got me a yoga matt and im going to start doing more of these and streatching to help loosing me up. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    I keep hearing how, if you are doing squats correctly there is no problems with your knees. Well, I must be doing them wrong, they kill my knees. I have problems with yoga too. Walking is difficult too. And constant pain for me. I have had knee surgery, shots...maybe I should look at a diet of anti inflammatory foods....willing to try anything!

I Would go back to ur doctor and see what they suggest. I meet with mine tomorrow
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee more than two years ago. My doc recommended strengthening the muscles around the knee with cycling. I instead continued with walking and fencing and this year added in mma style fitness, running and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. My fitness classes are anything but low impact yet I rarely have any problems. It is only the cold now that had slowed me down, but one of the trainers is going to teach me exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knee to help with the cartilage damage due to the arthritis. I find the more I train, the less problems I have with my knee. I suspect I have a mild form as what I have heard described by others is definitely way worse than what I experience.
  • MySizeisMyChoice
    MySizeisMyChoice Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just take Glucosamine Chondroitin and keep on working out.
  • jamieb55
    jamieb55 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple surgery's, so right there with you!! I agree with some of the above, row machines or ellipticals are good!! Also, stretching a lot helps me!!