squat machines

Options
Do squat machines give the same results as the bar and free weights?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No. Both are good and can be used together, but the machines do not require you to use any sort of stabilizing movement.
  • smadaris91
    smadaris91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Ok thank u. Im just starting my weight lifting journey lol and very intimidating.. im going to try the machine today.. its just wierd to lay down and do a squat.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    squat machines, do you mean the leg press or hack squat? They are very different from a barbell squat . i use them as accessory lifts only after i've done squats with the bar . you can go a lot heavier on the machines
  • rainbowbow
    edited July 2015
    Options
    smadaris91 wrote: »
    Ok thank u. Im just starting my weight lifting journey lol and very intimidating.. im going to try the machine today.. its just wierd to lay down and do a squat.

Are you talking about a leg press?
  • smadaris91
    smadaris91 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    *Blush* from embarrassment idk i saw some girls doing it u lay down and push up with ur legs? Like a squat? Does it have the same effect of toning your back side? Ugh I'm so lost. Im so scared to even try free weights. The guys at my gym are so intimidating
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Thats a leg press machine, and it is not a substitute for a barbell squat.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    smadaris91 wrote: »
    *Blush* from embarrassment idk i saw some girls doing it u lay down and push up with ur legs? Like a squat? Does it have the same effect of toning your back side? Ugh I'm so lost. Im so scared to even try free weights. The guys at my gym are so intimidating

you mean this?

ducci-855lbs-leg-press-o.gif

If so, they don't activate as many muscles as squats. Squats work much more than your "back side". They activate pretty much all of your lower body, your core muscles, etc. For a novice as yourself i'd say "they not only make your butt look nice, but they make you have beautiful legs, and activate the muscles in the dreaded ""thigh gap"" area".

My point is this is the type of squat i'd suggest.
    women-who-squat-11.gif?resize=360%2C360

At first i thought you were talking about a smith machine, but i don't think thats what you were talking about.

In any case, don't be intimidated. If you must, hire a trainer for a session or two to get you acquainted and comfortable with the weight room. there is NOTHING to be afraid/ashamed of.