I don't wanna get bigger from exercise?!

Options
Hi my name is Yasmin and I am 21 years old. I used to have a size 26" waist and fit perfectly into a size 8 in bottoms. I have recently been doing more Legs, Bums and Tums routines to tone up a little but I seem to be bulking up pretty fast and can't seem to slim down. I now have a 28" waist and can only just fit into a size 10 in bottoms. Some people will be going crazy at this post but it's the fact that I don't fit into my clothes any more and don't want to have to go out and buy more clothes just so I fit into something. I don't want to bulk up, how do I shrink back down to the size I was before? What do I need to start or stop doing?
Thank you!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    if you are truly "bulking up", you are eating a lot of food...too much food.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Are you counting calories? If not, start now to lose those extra pounds. If you are, then you're likely eating more than you think.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can't "bulk up" from doing that type of exercise. You're either eating too much, or bloated(from water retention caused by starting a new exercise, or some other reason) But rest assured, you're not bulking.
  • yasminannabelle1994
    yasminannabelle1994 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Maybe bulking was the wrong word haha! I'm definitely not eating too much. My thighs just seem to have grown!
  • LikeSeeds4Souls
    LikeSeeds4Souls Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It's physically impossible to increase in weight (bulk) while your in a calorie deficit. Re evaluate your calories.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Maybe bulking was the wrong word haha! I'm definitely not eating too much. My thighs just seem to have grown!

you can't go from a 26" waist to a 28" waist unless you're over-eating...math.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You're not "bulking", esp. with just a little exercise for your legs & midsection.

Look at Sara's profile & pictures.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/sarauk2sf

She's not bulky, is she?
    Looks pretty good, right?
    She's very strong, works hard at weightlifting, competes, etc.

How long has it taken you to see this 2" change?
    Has it lasted more than a month?
    If not, it's probably part of your normal cycle.

If your weight is going up, you're eating more calories than you need.

Read these:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1

And this calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine.
    It will tell you not only your BMI, but how many servings of various foods to eat to maintain that weight.
    If you enter your healthy goal weight, or play with the numbers to get your BMI in a healthy range, this will help you plan your food intake.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
  • dahhhhhling
    Options

Might just be water retention/muscle swelling from starting a new exercise. Are you sore after a workout?

Give it time, it will go back down. Maybe rest a couple of days.

• yasminannabelle1994
    Options
    My thighs have gotten bigger in the last 2 months, my waist has gotten bigger over a few months aswell, i focus a lot on my abs at the gym aswell. Just wanted a little advice, didnt expect some people to be so blunt and sarcastic :S If anyone is giving serious advice then thank you but I didnt really expect a blunt "you cant go from this...to this comment"
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    But if you want an answer, they're giving them to you. What kind of answer are you looking for? The advice given is correct. It's not possible to gain muscle or fat by under eating.
  • yasminannabelle1994
    Options
    some people have gave me some awesome answers which is definitely what i'm looking for but others have commented with just saying that i cant just go from one size to another
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    My thighs have gotten bigger in the last 2 months, my waist has gotten bigger over a few months aswell, i focus a lot on my abs at the gym aswell. Just wanted a little advice, didnt expect some people to be so blunt and sarcastic :S If anyone is giving serious advice then thank you but I didnt really expect a blunt "you cant go from this...to this comment"

The truth hurts.

Everyone has given you excellent advice.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

you're getting nothing but the truth and serious advise...if you are growing in anyway then you are eating in a surplus of energy...this is all math and science...it's not voodoo.

to put on fat you have to be in a surplus of energy...to put on muscle mass you have to be in a surplus of energy...to be in a surplus of energy means you are eating in excess of your calorie requirements. those are the facts...sorry you don't like them.

the only other explanation is water retention...but that doesn't last for months.
  • yasminannabelle1994
    Options
    Overall I do appreciate the help though, I am grateful when people go into detail :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

So what kind of advice do you want??

As everyone already stated, it's not muscle growth. Your eating in surplus which is why you can't where the size 8 pants anymore.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? How has your scale weight changes since you've started working on your fitness?

Weight lifting/strength training can increase your appetite. Unless you're using a food scale, you're probably eating more than you need to lose weight. Are you eating back your exercise calories? Things like ab work don't actually burn very many calories.
    I don't want to bulk up, how do I shrink back down to the size I was before? What do I need to start or stop doing?

To get smaller you will have to be accurate about how many calories you're eating in a day. I recommend a food scale. It changed everything for me. Especially since you only have a little weight left to lose. The exercise itself is not making you bigger, thankfully. You can (and totally should!) keep up with strength training. It will help you retain muscle as you cut fat.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    There is just no way (science, not me) that you can get bigger from doing "Legs, Tums and Bums" routines and eating at a deficit at the same time.... Do you weigh your food and log EVERYTHING?
  • yasminannabelle1994
    Options
    Im currently 64kg and 5ft7 in height, ive been with a PT at the gym for 3 months who gave me the exercises and food diary/recipes etc. Im eating a lot of vegetables, and meats. I have cut down on pastas, bread etc. At the gym i mainly do resistance and weights, not much cardio.
  • dahhhhhling
    edited July 2015
    Options

They come off as sarcastic, but there is a lot of good information posted above.

Are you counting calories, every bite you put in your mouth? Weighing everything? You say you're not eating a lot, but it is possible that some extra calories are sneaking in here and there.

Also, what do you mean by "focus a lot on my abs at the gym"? Do you mean "do lots of crunches and ab machines"? You're better off just doing more cardio, those won't get you a flat stomach.

Edit: I should say "those ALONE won't get you a flat stomach". Still good to do crunches, but do it in combination with cardio.
  • yasminannabelle1994
    Options
    Crunches, ab machine, planks etc :)