Calories not accurate?

Options
Sebani
Sebani Posts: 24 Member
edited July 2015 in Getting Started
Does anyone notice that the calories aren't accurate?

For example, today it says I ate a total of 1,537 calories today
63g carbs
62g fats
78g protein

Now if my math is correct, that should only be... 1122 calories. So where did the other 415 calories go? Anyone have input for me? I'm just getting back into this

K kinda figured that out. about HOW accurate would you guys say the calories on the databased items are?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Most likely incorrect entries in the database.
  • Sebani
    Sebani Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hmm yes... looking back i can see one entry where only calories were in the database and not the rest. Thanks lol
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Sebani wrote: »
    Hmm yes... looking back i can see one entry where only calories were in the database and not the rest. Thanks lol

Been caught by that myself. Damn database...grrrr...
  • oldcargirl62
    oldcargirl62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I ran into a few items that caught me eye as being wrong and have soent some time this morning randomly double checking labels to database. Wow. ALOT are wrong much less the incomplete ones.

5 or 6 duplicates of the same Darigold 2% cottage cheese ( which has nothing to do with Costco) and only 1 entry matched the label.

At first I thought theanufacturer made a rare change but noooo.......am getting more and more frustrated and disappointed. Logging takes long enough, sorting through tons of wrong info is a complete waste.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Even entries in the database that are exactly what the nutrition label says will be off a bit. I've found that the calories listed for the entire day are usually 100-200 lower than what they really are if you add up the macros. Which is why I go by macros rather than calories.

This is for several reasons. First, rounding laws on nutrition labels. Second, different types of fiber (carbs, insoluble vs. soluble fiber) have different caloric values. Third, some labels just simply aren't accurate.

It doesn't really matter if you're getting the results you want, whether you're going by the calories listed or macro calculations. If my goal is to maintain my weight, MFP says I'm eating 2150 calories/day, and my weight is stable, there's no reason to fret over if the calculations add up to 2150 or not.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Most annoying thing is it says "x confirmations" even when the nutritional data is wrong! How can someone confirm something that is so fundamentally incorrect, eg fibre or protein data missing?
  • LanceMcGrew
    LanceMcGrew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been faithfully recording and seeing a registered dietitian weekly for 70 days. Some days I would see pop ups telling me I had 800 more calories to consume but the remaining would be more like 650. That and I have steadily been gaining 1 to 2 lbs per week rather than loosing. Obviously time to rethink the whole program!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are finding the totals are off (even macros don't always add up correctly)

Keep the following in mind:

US allows 20% variance on nutritional labels.
    there are many user entered database entries that are incorrect regardless of the "verification" symbol.
    Search outside to confirm something that doesn't look correctly...usda is a good site for produce and meat.

If you can't find a correct entry...create one.
    SueGeer wrote: »
    Most annoying thing is it says "x confirmations" even when the nutritional data is wrong! How can someone confirm something that is so fundamentally incorrect, eg fibre or protein data missing?

Most only care about calories...and I have found things in the database that I scanned in where the label has recently changed.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately

This tool is only as good as the user and their diligence.

I've been faithfully recording and seeing a registered dietitian weekly for 70 days. Some days I would see pop ups telling me I had 800 more calories to consume but the remaining would be more like 650. That and I have steadily been gaining 1 to 2 lbs per week rather than loosing. Obviously time to rethink the whole program!!

are you using a food scale for solids and cups/spoons for liquids...if not...that's the issue.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Just make your own entries for things that you eat on a consistent basis. I did that and if they drop off of my recent list, I can find them on the My Foods list. Just wish that you could force the recipe maker to use My Foods instead of the MFP database.