Losing weight to become pregnant??

Options
2»

Replies

• MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Also when you do become pregnant, remember that you don't have to gain 60 pounds during pregnancy; for 1 baby. My plan when I am at my goal weight, is to eat what I'd have to eat for maintenance; plus a quarter of that for 1 baby. Since twins are common, especially every other generation in my family & since I am that generational, that is expected to have them; I'd consume an extra half of my maintenance consumption until I knew for certain, how many I'm having; then lower or raise my consumption a quarter per baby.
  • graebnerkm15
    graebnerkm15 Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My hubby and I are starting to talk more about TTC. I am terrified that we won't be able to naturally (no real reason for why it's just always been a fear of mine) and I just started to get much more serious about my weight loss efforts. I am currently about 230lbs but I haven't weighed myself in a while because I don't want to be tied to a number. Feel free to add me!

ETA I have a Fitbit so if you do as well I'd love to add you there and do some challenges with you!
  • rivim
    rivim Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Not TTC yet but I am hoping to lose about 50 lbs before becoming pregnant. It's stressful and easy to get overwhelmed by the amount because I want to lose it as quickly as possible. Trying to stay positive!
  • bluejennn
    bluejennn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good for you, though! When you do get pregnant, being in shape will make the pregnancy so much easier, plus you'll be at lesser risk for other health issues like gestational diabetes! I'm not sure if there is any science behind this, but it seems like bigger women have bigger babies. Mine were 8 lbs 9 oz and 9 lbs 6 oz. Best of luck to you!
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I tried years to get pregnant unsuccessfully. I went to the dr and my weight was the highest that I've ever been and my blood pressure was high. I just wasn't healthy. I went up to 7 months without my TOM! Once I started being active that became regular and 20 pounds down I became pregnant with my first child. I became pregnant with my second around the same weight as the first. Now I am simply losing the rest of the weight to be a healthy person and good role model.
  • scriptie
    scriptie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Whether or not my weight was the issue, I will never know... But I was ttc for a little over a year before I realized that I needed to be healthier during pregnancy and decided on exercising and losing weight (I was on the line of overweight and obese). I starting using the gym, walking 3 miles atleast 3 times a week. I did this for a month and became pregnant the next!

I felt really worried for a lot of the pregnancy, however, because I know there's a higher risk of complications with a higher weight. Luckily everything went smoothly, but I feel like I would have been a lot more comfortable physically and mentally if I was a healthy weight when I became pregnant.
  • mdalton802
    mdalton802 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would check out the Facebook page called, "Fit for Fertility" :smile:
    Love this! Thank you
  • mdalton802
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    Hi, I was in your shoes a couple of years back. Our GP said the usual, "loosing weight will help bla bla bla" which is sooooo irritating to hear. As soon as I left the surgery my mind was set. I thought "I am no longer going to let my weight be the reason for everything especially not to have children."

Cut a long story short (too much drama) I did loose my weight (45kgs in 10months, at the time I didn't but now I'm thinking wow) and fell pregnant at a moment when I had no hope left. Had a beautiful girl and then fell pregnant again when she was only 7-8 months and had a beautiful boy.

I used MFP then, and I'm back on hear to lose weight again. Only this time its because I want to be a good role model for my kids (2yr & 9mnth old).

What I would like to say is that right now you have the biggest motivation to lose weight and you can do it. It is possible. Don't ever give up or look back. Always think positive! Morale is very important.

Feel free to add me.

Love everything you said! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • mdalton802
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the stories and support! Overwhelmed by all the love <3
  • keelzymc
    keelzymc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in the same boat currently at 112kg almost cried when the fertility nurse told me, guess it went on gradually and I hadn't noticed, looked back through some old pic and my god I look so different. I was almost off the chart, a devastating moment as we have been ttc for about 2years before we asked for help, had blood work some levels are low, fertility nurse says if my day 21s were taken at the right time then I'm not ovulating, and at this weight there's no help for me at all as clomid won't work on someone that overweight. So repeat blood work as my Dr just had the bloods done(that was 5 months ago so can't remember the date. Just hope that the bloods were the wrong day, as I want to drop the weight anyway but I'd be less stressed if that wasn't stopping me ovulating....sorry went a bit life story there. I'm looking for a motivation buddy in the same boat.
  • meeshell314
    meeshell314 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had been trying for 5+ years to get pregnant when I was at my highest weight (around 245). Once I lost 45lbs we unexpectedly became pregnant, and I can't guarantee it was because I lost weight, because I only have one Fallopian tube as well, but that is the only thing that changed.
  • mdalton802
    Options
    My husband and I had been trying for 5+ years to get pregnant when I was at my highest weight (around 245). Once I lost 45lbs we unexpectedly became pregnant, and I can't guarantee it was because I lost weight, because I only have one Fallopian tube as well, but that is the only thing that changed.

Yeah, I think I've been focusing on so much of trying to get pregnant that I'm stressing myself out. My new focus has been working on being healthy. For me, and for future baby. Congrats on your weight loss and hard work!