Sodium

Options
Hello my first time posting. May I ask.......What can I eat that's lower in sodium? I guess I should look up a low sodium diet. Help!

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Anything fresh will have very little natural sodium; most of the sodium people eat comes from prepared food (restaurant or packaged) Cooking from scratch is the most effective way to lower sodium. If that isn't going to fit your lifestyle, at least try to avoid the major sodium bombs, like canned soups and prepared sauces.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lots and lots of good info here: http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/

Someone is bound to post that you shouldn't watch your sodium levels until you're diagnosed with a cardiovascular disease. That's not what experts say. That's just a popular thing to say here. You should watch your sodium.

It's really, really hard to get under control for some people - like me. It took me years of up and down and back and forth and failing all the time. I have to make most things because sodium is out of control in store-bought food. But I did it.

If you're not friends with Mrs. Dash, it's time to make her acquaintance! There are so many good blends, but for sure get the Table Blend with the dark green cap. Herbs and spices were my biggest help. It wasn't until I really started making use of them that I quit the sodium hang-up I had. I order spices online. You can get just about anything you want online. :) Most grocery stores carry fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. I used to hum a lot of Scarborough Fair when I started using them. :)

You can do it. Just stick with it and never give up trying. Even if you chow down on sodium for a month, you can go back to working on it. Don't quit and you'll get there. :)
  • jennslivin4ever
    jennslivin4ever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just started myfitnesspal and am shocked by how much sodium I am consuming! I thought I was eating pretty healthy but my sodium is almost always over the recommended amount. Thanks for the advise.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Anything that comes out of a can or bag can be a culprit for salt overload. Read the labels! I was surprised to find that many things contain sodium, even milk. MFP is a great way to help keep track of it.
  • jennslivin4ever
    jennslivin4ever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal has been a huge eye opener for me!