hair loss caused by diet and exercise changes?

Options
About four months ago I started running. I also did a major overhaul on my eating habits. No more soda or fast food and a lot more protein and veggies. I've noticed my hair falling out more than usual, and it's starting to get thin in the back. Doc says it's just a phase?? I'm taking a multivitamin and biotin but can't tell if it's helping. Anyone else notice hair loss after changing diet and exercise?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It can be associated with very low calorie intake.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    If it continues I would go to a different doctor for a second opinion. Have you had your thyroid checked. Could you be pregnant? Just food for thought. No pun intended.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Low calorie, stress, malnutrition. S
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • sharhealth
    sharhealth Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Low calorie, stress, malnutrition. S

Happened to me. It only began growing back once I had sufficient fat, carb and protein in an adequate, balanced way.

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Insufficient calories, insufficient fat.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nutrient malabsorption can cause hair loss, whether you're eating enough or not. I don't know your age; thinning can also be age-related.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    What you've been told 10 times already, under eating!
    http://chriskresser.com/are-you-an-under-eater-8-signs-youre-not-eating-enough/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you netting everyday? You'd get more detailed help if you opened your diary
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Happened to me the first time I went vegetarian, even though I made sure to get plenty of protein from non-meat sources. Once I got desperate I started eating meat again and the hair loss stopped.

Now, though, I realize that was most likely because as a vegetarian, I was simply eating less calories overall. I am about 90% vegetarian at this point and have not had hair loss problems now that I make sure to eat enough. It is also possible it was just an adjustment phase, as your doctor said.

Make sure you are eating enough and hitting your macros!
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Happened to me as well back in june...I was exercising 5-6 days a week since a few weeks only and just starting to transiton into maintenance so i was still a bit low on the calories. Also i was going through my finals, meaning lots of emotional stress. I was losing a BUNCH of hair all the time, i thought i was falling into anorexia. Calming down and reducing the stress i my daily life made it a lot better, it's been at least 2-3 weeks that hair doesn't come off in strands randomly anymore i think.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Happened to me as well back in june...I was exercising 5-6 days a week since a few weeks only and just starting to transiton into maintenance so i was still a bit low on the calories. Also i was going through my finals, meaning lots of emotional stress. I was losing a BUNCH of hair all the time, i thought i was falling into anorexia. Calming down and reducing the stress i my daily life made it a lot better, it's been at least 2-3 weeks that hair doesn't come off in strands randomly anymore i think.

@pumpkinpocalypse I hope you don't mind me asking, but how many calories were you on back then?

• lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I had my hair fall out when eating at 1200 cal/day and running 4-5 days/week. It would come out in clumps when I brushed it. I was eating healthy foods and taking a multivitamin.

That was years ago and its all grown back since then. I never eat that low now. I also noticed a lag time for my hair to respond to dietary changes (IF that was what it was responding to), i.e. it was ~3 weeks of 1200cal/day before it started falling out and another few weeks of eating normally for me to notice all the new hairs growing in.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm with the people that say it is probably under eating.
    Always eat back exercise calories when using mfp.
  • Hammondj3
    Hammondj3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your responses everyone! To answer some of the questions above: I'm 27 years old, not pregnant, and no thyroid issues. The doctor did blood work to check my thyroid and said there was nothing she could see that would cause hair loss. I usually hit between 1000-1200 calories a day. I have always been thin(I weigh 110), but up until recently I have eaten junk. I'm talking fast food every day. I know it's awful. I'm wondering if my body is feeling malnourished because I went from a ridiculous amount of calories to 1000-1200. I'll try to eat more while staying healthy and see if things balance out.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Hammondj3 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your responses everyone! To answer some of the questions above: I'm 27 years old, not pregnant, and no thyroid issues. The doctor did blood work to check my thyroid and said there was nothing she could see that would cause hair loss. I usually hit between 1000-1200 calories a day. I have always been thin(I weigh 110), but up until recently I have eaten junk. I'm talking fast food every day. I know it's awful. I'm wondering if my body is feeling malnourished because I went from a ridiculous amount of calories to 1000-1200. I'll try to eat more while staying healthy and see if things balance out.

i think you know you need to eat more. alot of times people go from one extreme to another, find a happy medium. take care.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Healthy foods or not, you are grossly and painfully undereating, especially since you've added running. MFP is designed that the lowest default to NET is 1200 calories, so you have sufficient nutrients so things like losing your hair won't happen. With your exercise you're netting 800-1000 maybe. In all the tests you've had have you told you're doctor you're on a very VERY low calorie diet? Give this a read, give your doc all the info and perhaps start this whole thing over in a healthier way.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Best of luck.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Healthy foods or not, you are grossly and painfully undereating, especially since you've added running. MFP is designed that the lowest default to NET is 1200 calories, so you have sufficient nutrients so things like losing your hair won't happen. With your exercise you're netting 800-1000 maybe. In all the tests you've had have you told you're doctor you're on a very VERY low calorie diet? Give this a read, give your doc all the info and perhaps start this whole thing over in a healthier way.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Best of luck.

Absolutely the bold part.
    By exercising you are increasing your calorie defecit and eating net even less calories than 1200.
    You need to eat atleast 1200 calories a day AND eat back all your exercise calories. You are harming your body. Losing hair is only the start. It is an indicator that something is wrong. You could become malnourished through nutrient deprivation this way. It has probably already started.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Big changes indeed! Since you're not eating fast food/junk food and sticking to vegetables and healthier food, you may be surprised at how much more you're able to eat, PLUS the extra exercise you're doing now. So, for sure, up those calories. If your doctor isn't a nutritionist, you might ask her or him to refer you to one who is knowledgeable about people who are very active. Sounds like your intentions to be healthy are in the right place, so just make sure you eat enough! At a stressed, low calorie time in my life, I could see my scalp in the front...it was pretty upsetting. I know you can do this the best way!