Does anyone have IBS and what foods do you eat?

Struggling with IBS and want to know more about it!

Replies

• sagaciouself
    sagaciouself Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there! I have Colitis actually and I had tried everything on the market including medications so that I could eat what I needed to to pursue my body building. It wasn't until I switched my lifestyle to completely vegan and raw vegan that I noticed I didn't need medications anymore. I stopped eating any dairy products and substituted with Nut milks/ soy/ etc. I get everything I need from my veggies and fruits, but everyone is different. You need to eliminate you "trigger" foods and really plan out your meals so that you get what you need :) It took me 2 + years to figure out my body couldn't handle meats and dairy.

Sorry this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for but maybe offered some guidance :)

rae
  • plaffo786
    plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
    From what I've been reading here everyone's IBS is different. For me little to no glutin prevents bloating, no beer I just can't touch it. Onions and uncooked peppers another trigger, stress is huge tho no matter how good my food is gotta manage that it messes everything
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Thank you...your response really helped me!
  • plaffo786
    plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
    No problem
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    My mom has suffered for years. She was recently suggested a new diet, fodmap or something like that. Its the first WK and she's already seeing huge improvement. She's already gluten/dairy free so the switch hasn't been as hard as someone starting from scratch. I'm hoping this is what finally enables her to feel better.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I don't have IBS but I have a wheat and rye (non glutin) sensitivity so I try to limit wheat and rye. My sister has bad IBS and she did some thing where she only at like 10 foods for a week and then under the care of a dietician started adding foods back. She has a ton of trigger foods....Although I think a lot of her issues come from the fact that she eats a lot of highly processed food. That stuff tends to have a bunch of chemicals and very little fiber so I could see how it would mess you up.
  • ktsjourney
    ktsjourney Posts: 6 Member
    Its definitely different for everyone! For me certain foods are certain times of the day trigger it. I can never have a banana for breakfast as it kills me! Like someone else said, little to no gluten helps me a lot. Raw onions like red ones in salads are a trigger, but if I fry them they don't.. I'd just say log your food in a diary and see what triggers it for you!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    i eat lots of vegetables, oat bran and lean protiens. little to no dairy and bread. i also avoid greasy fried foods as they always reak havoc on me for days afterwards (but i still get some fried now and then)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have Crohn's disease.

Do you have IBS-C or IBS-D? The one you have, could determine what food choices are best for you. However, there is really no set diet plan for those with IBS because every person has different triggers.

See a registered dietitian and possibly discuss an elimination diet. You will then be able to see what foods you can tolerate and what foods you can't.
  • poppymom23
    poppymom23 Posts: 9 Member
    I have IBS-C and I have yet to figure out all of my triggers. I can't eat onions and peppers or anything spicy. Even eliminating all of those, I still have daily symptoms. I need to try an elimination diet but it is so hard.
  • Applepop21
    Applepop21 Posts: 10 Member
    I have ibs. Personally I avoid red meat, rich sauces\spicy food, high sugar foods, cauliflower,onions and limit full fat dairy. I eat berries, porridge/ready brek made with unsweetend almond milk, shredded wheat, nutribullet smoothies, decent amount of veggies, wholemeal bread, lots of protein from chicken,turkey but mostly fish and plain fage 0 greek yogurt. My ibs still flares up but I find that I'm less bloated than I used to be and get much less stomach pain.
  • MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    Meat is the only thing that doesn't bloat me or make my stomach upset.
  • angua1234
    angua1234 Posts: 26 Member
    I have IBS (C tending with those lovely swings to D every so often) and I found the magic cure for me... water. Lots and lots of water.

I had a horrible UTI that was antibiotic resistant in January and the only thing that made life tolerable was drinking more water than I thought would fit in me. I averaged around 4-5L a day. After that mess finally cleared up (took about a month), I tried dropping my water intake and found that I had adjusted to the higher level and actually got really uncomfortable if I drank only 1-2 liters a day. Now, I average around 3-4 and I feel great. My acne cleared up, I don't get sick as often, and my IBS might as well be gone for all it's bothered me.

That said, I discovered about 6 years ago that part of my IBS trouble was a red meat intolerance so I cut that completely out and two years ago I learned I was allergic to scallops so those went away. Both of those changes helped as well, but not as much as the water.

All this happened 5 months before joining MFP and starting to exercise regularly and I'm sure I wouldn't have made the progress I have without that intake.

I know all IBS is different, but try doubling your water intake. It's 100% free and it can't hurt you like some diet changes can. Even if it doesn't help your IBS, it could help other health problems (like my acne).
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    drinking plenty and a cup of peppermint tea every morning keeps everything calm for me (IBS-D), stress is a major trigger as well as monthly hormonal changes (booo!) I haven't pinpointed specific foods yet that trigger mine but those two most definitely.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    My doctor just by symptoms (no testing) suggested I have IBS as well. I'm not so sure. But I did the elimination diet because whatever diagnosis I had, I needed to do something to feel better. It was (and still does sometimes) really make life suck. Sometimes stops me from living like canceling plans, having to stay home.. Anyway, I suggest that. Stress does trigger, so I try and work out a lot. My triggers are milk, grains, and thickeners... after doing the elimination test. Good luck!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Meat.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    IBS is the name used to describe an issue with the intestines causing discomfort without a defined medical cause! So really it comes down to your own personal issue, I 'had' IBS till I got diagnosed with a wheat intolerance so now I have a wheat intolerance not IBS does that make sense? Because they found the cause of my issues that I've had since birth :smile:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    I did a modified elimination diet, and identified at least some of the major food triggers for me (pasta, bread, pastries; most stone fruit; citus; watermelon; pears; apples; cooked spinach; a few other things. I still occasionally have some of these and always pay unless I'm careful about how much I have of what, with what. A small piece of bread is ok with other food, usually. Coffee is terrible for me but I honestly can't live without it, so same thing, small amounts, with other stuff. Some foods I just avoid entirely and am better for it.)

I did this one
    http://www.joybauer.com/ibs/elimination-diet-no-fiber.aspx

Here's one for C
    http://www.joybauer.com/ibs/elimination-diet-with-added-fiber.aspx

These are shorter and I think probably less thorough than the FODMAPS elimination one
    http://www.aboutibs.org/site/treatment/diet/12-week-elimination-diet

but I was able to get at a reasonable idea of what definitely is awful from among the foods I'm used to eating.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Absolutely go on a FODMAP diet. It is the most recommended. Remember that items that are not fodmaps can be gut irritants as well though (coffee, alcohol, chocolate, etc). I went from feeling like death and not leaving the house to almost immediate improvement on the diet. Be strict with elimination. PM if you need help :)
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    For me, I learned to manage it by cutting out dairy, drinking more water, generally eating healthier and more exercise. Also, smaller portions. It still acts up occasionally if I eat too much at once or if I eat a lot of greasy food (like a burger and fries).