Ladies with Aunt Flo issues! Help!!

Options
Here's a back story.

Ever since I turned 20 (I'm 24 now), I've had irregular periods. I've been put on progesterone because according to a blood test, I have some sort of hormonal imbalance. My body isn't making enough progesterone in order to menstruate. My periods can be all over the place. I've gone as long as almost 4 months without a period and I tested negative for pregnancy 3 times. However, there have been two months this year where I've had two periods in one month.

I know for a fact that I'm not pregnant. I haven't been with anyone since my last relationship ended, and even back when I was in it, we took precautions and I know they succeeded.

This month, I've missed my period. Sure, I moved and I just started exercising, but I should've gotten it near the beginning of the month. Does anyone here have experience with this?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Changing your workout and eating plans can dramatically throw off your period, even for people that have very predictable patterns. Since your period is already pretty iffy, I wouldn't stress about it too badly. It will regulate itself as much as possible in a couple of months. If it doesn't, then you should talk to a doctor.
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Changing your workout and eating plans can dramatically throw off your period, even for people that have very predictable patterns. Since your period is already pretty iffy, I wouldn't stress about it too badly. It will regulate itself as much as possible in a couple of months. If it doesn't, then you should talk to a doctor.

Thanks.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My mensus used to be all over the place, NEVER every 28 days, and incredibly heavy. I went on depo prevera shots just so I could get a break from the madness. This went on for about 3 years. I went off at age 48 and around age 50, I went into pre menopause. I went 8 months without a spot, then WHAMMO...Aunt Rose came to visit. I am now 55 and haven't had a flow in about 3 years so I made it through the madness. Now it's hot flashes and night sweats to deal with. I refuse to poison my body with synthetic estrogen, so I soldier on.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    My mensus used to be all over the place, NEVER every 28 days, and incredibly heavy. I went on depo prevera shots just so I could get a break from the madness. This went on for about 3 years. I went off at age 48 and around age 50, I went into pre menopause. I went 8 months without a spot, then WHAMMO...Aunt Rose came to visit. I am now 55 and haven't had a flow in about 3 years so I made it through the madness. Now it's hot flashes and night sweats to deal with. I refuse to poison my body with synthetic estrogen, so I soldier on.

Generally, I would wanna stay away from the pill or the depo shot, but I'm seriously considering getting Mirena. I'm not with anyone ATM, but just in case.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good luck in your search for some relief.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Depo where you already have hormone imbalances. Especially if you may want children later on.. it really screws up your body and makes hormone imbalances 10x worse once you come off of it. I found out the hard way.
  • leanlicorice
    leanlicorice Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I feel so bad for you; my menstuation is not nearly as irregular as yours. I have skipped periods before though due to stress, poor diet (over eating and under eating) and lack of exercise. I got the bland faced, "you're pregrant" from the doctor- a lot of help he was. I find that my cycle and flow is much better the month when I have consistently eaten well and nutritiously, kept hydrated, exercised, and managed my stress.

My advice is to look at your diet and exercise to see if you can make improvements- remember that you need to eat enough for your body to function properly. Then try to find a doctor who specializes in womens health issues particularly hormone imbalances and menstruation. Go through all the options (including side effects) and get regular check ups until you reach a normal for you.
  • ThisIsRae
    ThisIsRae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    rats2010 wrote: »
    Stay away from Depo where you already have hormone imbalances. Especially if you may want children later on.. it really screws up your body and makes hormone imbalances 10x worse once you come off of it. I found out the hard way.

Seconded. Depo messes you up while you are on it and worse when you come off of it.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    rats2010 wrote: »

On a hormonal level, thanks. But I don't want children ever. I just want regular periods. It's unnerving to not have it every month.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    I feel so bad for you; my menstuation is not nearly as irregular as yours. I have skipped periods before though due to stress, poor diet (over eating and under eating) and lack of exercise. I got the bland faced, "you're pregrant" from the doctor- a lot of help he was. I find that my cycle and flow is much better the month when I have consistently eaten well and nutritiously, kept hydrated, exercised, and managed my stress.

My advice is to look at your diet and exercise to see if you can make improvements- remember that you need to eat enough for your body to function properly. Then try to find a doctor who specializes in womens health issues particularly hormone imbalances and menstruation. Go through all the options (including side effects) and get regular check ups until you reach a normal for you.

Don't you hate it when they automatically assume you're pregnant? Ugh! I can't stand that!

Thanks for the latter.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Have you considered an IUD? I got Mirena in 2010 and for nearly 5 glorious years, I didn't have a period. I had it removed this spring and my periods are completely normal again, with only one difference- I no longer have ANY cramps. (AMAZING!) If you don't want kids, it could be a viable option for you. Then you wouldn't have to worry about irregular periods, or periods, at all!
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    Thea519 wrote: »
    Have you considered an IUD? I got Mirena in 2010 and for nearly 5 glorious years, I didn't have a period. I had it removed this spring and my periods are completely normal again, with only one difference- I no longer have ANY cramps. (AMAZING!) If you don't want kids, it could be a viable option for you. Then you wouldn't have to worry about irregular periods, or periods, at all!

Yes. I am seriously considering getting Mirena or Skyla. Good to know it is,in fact, a good option.
  • bluejennn
    bluejennn Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Yes. I am seriously considering getting Mirena or Skyla. Good to know it is,in fact, a good option.

I have a mirena! It has it's ups and downs. I haven't had a period in months, but there will be months where I'm spotting for 2 weeks straight. I'd just rather have my period and be done with it sometimes!
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    kleighjen wrote: »

I have a mirena! It has it's ups and downs. I haven't had a period in months, but there will be months where I'm spotting for 2 weeks straight. I'd just rather have my period and be done with it sometimes!

Yep. It just depends on the person and what works for them. But I refuse to get on the pill or get the depo shot.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting the copper IUD? There are no hormones in them. I used to have one and loved it. This is coming from a highly "hormonal" person. I have tried several other forms of birth control that did include hormones and they only made me crazier.

I had the copper IUD before I had my boy, so in the event that you ever change your mind about having kids, it still is possible after having an IUD.
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    Have you thought about getting the copper IUD? There are no hormones in them. I used to have one and loved it. This is coming from a highly "hormonal" person. I have tried several other forms of birth control that did include hormones and they only made me crazier.

I had the copper IUD before I had my boy, so in the event that you ever change your mind about having kids, it still is possible after having an IUD.
    Yes. I've been weighing the pros and cons of getting the hormonal IUD vs the non-hormonal IUD. Given the situation, im leaning towards the hormonal one because from what I've read, it's isolated in your uterus and it isn't in your blood stream like the pill.

Further, if it were up to me, I would have my tubes tied, but most doctors are paternalistic in their attitude and think that a 24 year old is incapable of knowing for sure she doesn't want children. Hell, they sometimes won't listen to a 30-40 something who had no children by choice. It's ridiculous!
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hello. I had the depo a few years back and i turned into a nasty monster. Avoid!
    I now have the paraguard coil, 6 weeks and i am NOW happy. At the beginning i was very heavy bleading and cramping for a month but now my period seems lighter and was on time. Also dieting and workout can adjust your period so dont panic
    All the best
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    Hello. I had the depo a few years back and i turned into a nasty monster. Avoid!
    I now have the paraguard coil, 6 weeks and i am NOW happy. At the beginning i was very heavy bleading and cramping for a month but now my period seems lighter and was on time. Also dieting and workout can adjust your period so dont panic
    All the best

Yep. This is yet another example of why I won't get depo. I'm surprised the stuff is still even legal, given all the horrible side effects I keep reading about it.

Thanks.
  • PleasantDisarray
    PleasantDisarray Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just for a countering opinion, I've tried basically every form of contraception available. Got banned from taking any oestrogen-based therapies because they caused a particular class of migraine, progesterone-only/mini pill was terrible, Mirena didn't work (TMI warning: because I get very strong cramps/contractions with my period and I haven't had any babies my uterus pushed the Mirena right back out again, waste of several hundred dollars!), and the depo injection is the ONLY one that has solved my menstrual irregularities and pain.

That being said, your menstrual cycles sound a heck of a lot like mine, except at my worst I've gone nine months without one. Have you ever considered if you could have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? You can read about it from a reliable source here. :)

womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.html
  • PleasantDisarray
    PleasantDisarray Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Also, I forgot to mention; I agree that anyone who wants to take control of their fertility by having their tubes tied should make their own decisions. But having your tubes tied wouldn't solve this problem, sadly, because periods happen with hormone signals from ovary to uterus via the blood stream, so passage of the ovum has nothing to do with it. You probably already knew that, but I just wanted to point it out for anyone who didn't. :)