MFP friends with anxiety? Let's support each other!

Options
Hi! I'm 23 and have been struggling with anxiety, OCD and severe panic attacks my whole life, along with yo-yo dieting that has made the aforementioned problems ten times worse. Right now, my goal is to be fit rather than skinny, and hopefully also gain some confidence and inner calm as I grow stronger and leaner. If anyone here is also struggling with an anxiety disorder or OCD, please feel free to add me! People like us need all the support we can get since we're extra sensitive (which isn't a bad thing!) It would be great to have a network here and be able to cheer each other on and talk about our problems if we feel the need to. Add away and write me if you want to talk! xo Julia

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I used to deal with lot of anxiety before that was affecting not only my mental, but also my physical health. Lately I've been able to control most of this emotions through exercise, yoga, and meditation. My goal right now is to get healthy, but if i can get skinny along the way I'll take it :) Good luck in your journey.
  • fitjourney_kat
    fitjourney_kat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Julia,
    I completely understand living with anxiety... Unfortunately I am a stress eater for sure... it always feels like for every step forward I take with my weight, I take another 3 backwards. I am not giving up though. I am trying to battle my inner demons and looking for support also. Good Luck with your journey!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have a mild form of anxiety disorder. I used to get panic attacks right after we had our first daughter. It was horrible, don't ever want to experience that again. My doctor prescribed Zoloft for me. I got it filled and figured I'd try to deal with it on my own before taking the pills. I ended up being able to overcome the attacks and after I had about 5-6 more start to come on and fought them off, eventually they just stopped. I've since cut out any unnecessary stressors in my life and have just focused on my work, my family, and my hobbies. Life is much better now. I'm sure at some point I will need to go on something, but for now I'm doing alright. My grandpa and dad are both on Zoloft to control their anxiety and my wife has a social anxiety disorder, so I'm used to being around nervious/anxious/intense people haha!

I've found that by staying in shape, eating properly, maintaining a healthy weight, and maintaining a healthy work/life/family/hobby balance that I've been able to live a relatively stress free life free of panic attacks and pointless worrying, etc.

I hope you can get your anxiety issues under control as well. Everyone is different, and everyone has varying degrees of anxiety issues to deal with. My only advice is to try and find the best way to deal with that works best for you and stick with it. There is no blanket statement approach to deal with it in my unprofessional opinion because everyone is different.
  • fitnesscat2014
    fitnesscat2014 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar and have generalized anxiety disorder. I have actually started this journey about 2 weeks ago to make excercise and healthy eating as part of my lifestyle. I want to see how excercise can help me with my disorder. Feel free to add me
  • hallowground
    hallowground Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello Julia, I'm diagnosed with GAD and Manic Depressive Disorder. I was stubborn and would not get any help for the longest time. Unfortunately, the symptoms from the panic attacks and anxiety started manifesting physical symptoms. I finally broke down after 4 years and got help. I currently see a therapist weekly and am taking 150 mg of Zoloft. It's eliminated 90 % of my depression and almost all of my panic attacks. I would love to add you. Let me know if you need anything or just want to talk about it.
  • Breeticus87
    Breeticus87 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to have terrible anxiety years ago, almost crippling. It became hard to even leave my room sometimes in fear I might see someone and have to exchange words with them, and the thought of that terrified me. Eventually I got help and I still have issues with it from time to time, but I have learned to accept it as a part of who i am, and I use it as a motivator to push me forward. Sort of how if someone is afraid of heights they might go skydiving to face their fears. Now days if I get anxious I dive in head first and try not to pass out from taking in too much.

I guess what I am trying to say is I hope you find yours, the thing that helps you feel like you can take on the world again, good luck, and if you ever need someone to talk to about it, you are more than welcome to add me as a friend, support groups can really help :)
  • reneeanntorres
    reneeanntorres Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this Julia! I was hoping there might be some support out there for anxiety on mfp. My anxiety and panic attacks have been pretty bad the last few years. I even started taking medication but it made my brain to foggy, which is not great when you're studying to get you Master's degree. I've stopped taking medication and am managing my anxiety with meditation, exercise & and now trying to eat healthier and get more sleep. I still have episodes but it's much better than its been.

Anyone posting on here feel free to add me! I would love to give and receive advice and support!
  • KatFletcher
    KatFletcher Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kmacey27 wrote: »
    Julia,
    I completely understand living with anxiety... Unfortunately I am a stress eater for sure... it always feels like for every step forward I take with my weight, I take another 3 backwards. I am not giving up though. I am trying to battle my inner demons and looking for support also. Good Luck with your journey!

Stress eating... I'm hearing you. But in all seriousness the debilitating nature of anxiety has robbed me from so much life. I want to get back on track mentally and for my health overall. I've got 40 plus kilos to lose and started out well. Today anxiety hit. Again. Now searching thru the threads for motivation and struggling to stay away from tye instant sugar hit.

Add me as a friend guys. I'm sure we can all help each other out. :-)
  • JuliaWargarden
    JuliaWargarden Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to read all you guys' responses! Well, I'm not glad you have anxiety, but I'm glad we're here for each other
  • cmt12345
    cmt12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes, I struggle with anxiety and depression as well. It makes this journey even harder :/ but I am trying to stay positive. Feel free to add me! My goal is also to eat healthy and gain muscle, rather than be "skinny."
  • OvOJasmine
    OvOJasmine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have OCD, I get season depression during autumn and winter and a bit in spring. Losing weigh has always been hard but this time I'm going to do it