Quitting Smoking..............

Options
So, I'm quitting smoking tomorrow (as well as my co-workers and my husband) I'm a little leary about weight gain. I've been working pretty stinking hard to lose weight and I don't want to slow it down or gain. Does anyone have any tips or maybe success stories about quitting smoking and continued to lose weight? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Mandam1018
    Mandam1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am no help, but I am quitting tomorrow as well! Good luck to you!
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    first off, congrats on quitting! i quit smoking this jan and i didnt gain a pound, it was just about changing routines for me. instead of going home and going straight for the cigs, i went to the comp. and at break at work instead of smokin i ate a healthy lunch. i started trying to lose weight at 173 and am now 156 so id say if you can quit smoking, you can do anything! including quitting and losing weight! best of luck to you and again, congrats!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Popsicles (made with real fruit and no added sugar) and sugar free gum kept me from grabbing food.
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    gaining a little weight shouldn't keep you from quitting smoking. quitting smoking was one of the best things I did, it helped me workout harder and longer, I took up swimming to help with my breathing, it also helped me from starting again because I knew what that smoke did to me when I was in the pool. Good luck quitting, but seriously, stop making excuses before you even started.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    It's estimated that smoking a pack a day is the equivalent of metabolizing an extra 200 calories per day. But, it's not what you think - there is a reason for this and it's not a good one:

Every time you smoke, your body releases a little insulin, just as it does when you eat. This curbs your hunger a bit. It also sets you up to develop diabetes. That's why smokers - even if they are underweight - have a high risk of diabetes

Just try to burn an extra 200 cals a day or eat a little less to make up the difference. Hope this helps
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on deciding to quit! There is no need to gain weight when quitting... I LOST weight while quitting. The snacking is what kills you. I suggest you find an activity (not snacking) that keeps your hands busy when you have the urge to smoke. (Needlework, knitting, etc.) Have low calorie snacks about (celery, etc) if you just have to munch on something.

You might see a slight increase in the first few weeks as your metabolism adjusts but keep moving... exercise every day. Take a brisk 20 minute walk as often as you can when cravings hit. And stick to your calorie logging... don't cheat and don't snack on anything you don't count. Best of luck. You can do it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I don't want to deal with my smoking habit on a business trip in two weeks. Plus there is a guy I will be "seeing" there and I want to smell good for him :( I am worried about the weight gain, and my anxiety is so high, especially with being on a plane I think I might have a panic attack without them.

I have also heard that if you keep eating and exercising like you have, you can still gain because they are a stimulant and speed up your metabolism..
  • ascrof
    ascrof Posts: 34
    Options
    i quit last year and although i did gain weight in the end the weight can be taken off but you can't replace your body.....
  • bluebeatle49
    Options
    I quit smoking right before I started using MFP. I used an electronic cigarette, which helped a whole bunch, I still use it but it hasn't caused any more weight gain and I feel 100% better than I did when I smoked.
  • DropsOJupiter
    DropsOJupiter Posts: 131
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision. I stopped smoking after decades of killing myself and during the process of losing weight. Although smoking does temporarily boost the metabolism, so does exercise :wink: My tips are to avoid spicy foods, drink loads of water, decrease caffeine consumption if you imbibe and, most of all, cut yourself some slack during the first few days while you break the actual physical addiction. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Smoke free here for over 10yrs. Sugar free gum and always having a toothpick in my mouth were my coping mechanisms.

Best of luck quitting! :smile:
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That makes me feel better. I remember reading that the average weight gain was around 10 lbs. I'm ready to quit! Exercising will be so much easier! I'm pretty excited.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I invested in a personal vaporizer [PV], AKA e-cig. I use it as an alternate nicotine delivery device for nicotine replacement therapy. I'm tapering off the strength of the nicotine. It helps me with the psychological need to expel vapor from my face. Just a suggestion if in case quitting cold turkey becomes unbearable.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 25 yrs ago- and NO it wasn't easy, but I have never regretted it. It's taken me 25 yrs. to face the food addictions and break free from them now- this journey just started 6 weeks ago.

Had I had a change of heart sooner, I'd have not become so apathetic about the weight I put on. I listened to everyone else's advice that it was inevitable- and swallowed that baloney. Traded a nicotine addiction for a sugar one. Not a much better trade off.
    But keeping track of what you're eating- and setting realistic goals for yourself can only help you along your journey.
    Gather as much positive support as you can- those who understand your struggles and will cheer you on when you need it,
    and not let you give up or give in.

Both for me involve a daily battle to fight off temptations- change old habits and replace them with new, healthier ones. And drinking LOTS of water ( for smoking, it helps flush the nicotine out of your system faster)

Best wishes to you as you take this step to a new lifestyle.
    And if you want another friend for the journey, feel free to add my name to your list of supporters.
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I quit almost a month ago and commutes are the wost time for me. I drive 45-60 minutes each way to work and back every day. I want cigarettes still so badly on those days, but gum and lollipops are helping. I have lost weight since quitting, mostly because I can work out longer and harder I think.
  • appleshells
    appleshells Posts: 165
    Options
    I have considered the e-cigarette for replacement nicotine (I also have a long commute to work and thats the hardest time for me). My concern with the e-cig is I think it would make me use it more because I could do it anywhere and not outside. I have tried so many times and the nicotine withdrawal is what was the worst for me
  • soshotout
    soshotout Posts: 115
    Options
    Did any of you see this group that is forming to support each other in our smoking cessation?

Check it out at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/252498-smoke-free-on-mfp-no-more-butts-group