How do you find time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• Guy04
    Guy04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I exercise every night from 6:30 til 8:00 pm,it's part of my daily schedule !
  • maryelgin1988
    maryelgin1988 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I exercise with my kids :) who are 1, 2 and 3.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    lol I make time!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've never been an early riser. If there's a chance I could sleep just a little longer, I'll take it. Exercising after work just works so much better for me. And there's nothing wrong with that.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I "have to" work out in the same way I have to brush teeth, shower, etc....there's time for those things. Maybe it means one load of laundry didn't get done, or I did 3 small 15 to 20 minutes work outs throughout the day...point is...I don't even consider it a time issue, it's a daily routine. Don't stress out the amount of time you can first dedicate to it, every little bit counts!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    z304 wrote: »
    Livgetfit wrote: »
    I bought one of those adapters with a timer so my bedside lamp comes on 5 min before my alarm goes off. It REALLY helps!

I have serious issues waking up. I got an alarm clock that has a built-in lamp as a gift and it's amazing. You set an alarm and 30 minutes beforehand the lamp starts getting brighter, then at the alarm time a radio/alarm/nature sound of your choice goes off. Really really helpful.

@z304 - if this also works as a reading light, what's the brand? I got mine 10 years ago and they don't make it anymore. I read myself to sleep and my light has a timer that will shut it off. They call this the Sunset feature. It also has a Sunrise feature for the AM like what you described.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There's at least 16 hours in the day to MAKE time for exercise. You just have to organize for it. Unfortunately, unless you make it a priority, you'll always find time not to do it. You don't need a gym, nor special equipment either. Basic plyometrics and body strength exercises are good enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

yes that was me. i work from home and actually didnt think i had the time to exercise. but i did have time to watch all my tv shows. To be fair until i found out about the channels on you tube and fitnessblender, i did think everything had to be done in gym. I now just plan it into my schedule first thing in the morning before i get ready. OP find a slot that suits you.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I work out starting at 8-8:30pm once my kids are in bed. Sometimes I work out closer to 6-7pm and the kids run around in the basement while I lift. And on rare occasions I lift first thing in the morning, but that is only if I know I won't be home that night and it is a weekend.

However, I have no problem getting up around 6AM. I choose to work out at night because that is when my wife can lift with me, otherwise I would be lifting by myself and she wouldn't lift at all. If I wanted my wife to exercise in the morning with me, then she would go to bed while I'm still awake. I prefer being up by myself in the morning, so it works for me (actually, my kids sometimes get up before 7am). If you want to exercise in the morning, start going to bed earlier. I'm in bed ~10 and up at 6AM, for 8 hours of sleep.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I exercise as soon as I get home from work, before dinner, usually. Sometimes I work out later at night if I am too hungry to workout before dinner. Sometimes I get up early for it, but that doesn't really work for me. You just have to find a time that works for you. Everyone is different.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What is POS? Acronym? Type of TV? Like PBS? One person used it as a noun or adjective, another as a verb. I can't figure it out.

I didn't have to make time. I had to push myself into it and into doing it when I got up. Now, it's habit. I hated all of my healthy habits when I first forced them upon myself, but now I'm really glad I made good eating and exercising habits. :)
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with working out at 9 or 10 in the evening if it fits into your life best. My husband has an odd schedule and frequently goes to the gym at midnight.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with it, unless it is affecting your sleep. If you really wanted to/preferred to work out in the morning then yes, it will take some getting used to. No you will not spring out of bed eagerly ready to exercise every day....but you just do what you need to do.
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have found that IF I get up early before everyone does, and do this for a few days, it gets much easier to do so. I have more energy, so I don't feel so sleep deprived. If working out at night works for you, then do it! Personally, working out too late does not work too well for me because I then have a hard time sleeping. *sigh*
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Any time that you are sitting down watching TV is time that you could be working out. Just do it. I am not a morning exerciser, I do all my workouts in the evening.*

*No children and no live in love.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i do 1/2 hour right before sundown, walk/jog outside. when I was honest with myself, that was tv time - way more than 1/2 hour. So, really no excuses. I still have time for 1 show/night which is enough. and for me, good music is better than even good tv, so I look forward to my exercise because I look forward to listening to my fav music.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to get out and run at 4:30 AM because there is nothing to interrupt or stop me. Its also cooler with less traffic at that hour. After work is excuse a plenty time and would interfere with cocktail hour.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have been an exerciser for decades.

Make exercise a priority, but be looking for what works best for you, what you like (or can at least tolerate), and what is available to you. You may have to make changes as your life changes. But I know I need to get exercise!

When my children were young, I took walks with them in the stroller most days of the week, up and down hills. Sometimes I went and walked without them when my husband was home.

When they were older I found a "mother's day out" at a local church. Every Tuesday they provided very reasonable day-care and I used that time to get in a good long walk.

As they got older my oldest daughter wanted to be on a club swim team, so we joined the gym where the swim team practiced. It was pricey but totally worth it. My husband and I could use the gym when the oldest had swim practice and younger one went to "Kid's Club" (daycare).

When that time of our family life ended, I returned to walking outside and walked at a high school track during times the students were not using it. A little boring, but I did take music to enjoy.

Since I have relatives with skin cancer, I have returned to a gym membership to keep out of the sun. I do not like it as much but it has helped to have a good inexpensive, new, and clean gym in my area.

I do not exercise every day! But do make it a priority to go 3 or 4 times a week. I often wear a t-shirt that says, "Train Hard" and I do!

You can find the time and way that works best for you, too.

70044776.png
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    One thing I used was a bodyweight program (You Are Your Own Gym) that had some workouts where you would have 3 minutes to complete each set. Once you did the reps, you could rest for the remainder of the 3 minutes. For me, that translated into a minute, sometimes two, in each set where I could do some chores before starting the next set.

That's just one way you might be able to incorporate exercise into the rest of your daily life.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My dad taught me that there is *always* time to work out. And he's right! I used to think working out was for the morning, but lemme tell ya. I am *so* not a morning person. I usually end up exercising anytime between 8-10pm (sometimes later). I'm a night owl, so it works. It's just apart of my daily routine. I get home from work, wind down, eat, do something enjoyable (reading, drawing, browsing the web etc), then I work out, and after working out I get down to working more because my job is giving us so much OT it's insane!!
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would love to exercise first thing in the morning. My Sleep pattern is horrible. I have my own business and work from home and I can easily work til 1am. If my deadlines are tight then going to sleep sometimes at 5am. For years I have been like this and since i started my " diet" almost a month ago, I had to make a lot of changes personally and be honest with myself.

I thought to myself, how can i fit in time for exercise or join a gym when i am a slave to my own work and deadlines. Sitting for that long at my pc, well is the reason why I gained 50lbs and on a 5"2 frame that is a lot of weight to be carrying around. I am 46 so I decided that i need to fit in at-least 30 minutes everyday of walking, because my overall health and longevity are more important than my work.

The best way to see where you can fit time in to exercise write it down for a week, where your time goes, just like logging your food, log your time.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Just curious, as I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I end up working out from like 9 to 10 pm after my son is in bed. Anyone have any tips to fit exercise in their day?

Wake up earlier, sleep less... cut out TV time... lots of options.

Also the "I'm not a morning person" comments that ppl always make.... they're full of it. You adjust to waking up earlier like anything else in life, you're currently just accustom to going to bed later and sleeping in later.

I can safely say, that I have never been a "morning person" in my entire 32 years of life. Even when I was a baby. Mornings make me grouchy, I never feel like I have enough sleep. I have had jobs where I had to be at work at 6:30am, I have had jobs where I had to be there at 8am. I have a daughter who wakes up at 7:30-8:30am, and I am still not a morning person. It doesn't even matter how early I wake up, or how early I go to bed. Just saying....