UK: what to eat out?

Options
2»

Replies

• fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    There's most probably a local kebab shop, get a chicken shish ( which is grilled like you said you preferred) loads of salad skip the pitta and sauce. Done!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,518 Member
    Options
    Hey, that's a brilliant idea! I cannot get decent kebabs here. So lets find out if the British ones are good or not (I prefer German ones so far.)
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Dry tikka or tandoori chicken from the Indian with salad, and a chapati (flatbread) on the side. I'd probably add a veggie curry or saag aloo to that as well but I love Indian food!
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I second the Indian idea. Otherwise I'd see if you can get a puttanesca or other tomato based (not bolognese) pasta dish at the Italian, just ask them not to add any extra oil or cheese. The Chinese place may have a lemongrass or ginger dish with chicken or seafood as a protein, these are usually less sauce-laden. Because they serve the rice/noodles separately, you'll be able to control your portion pretty well.

If you really can't find anything to your liking, why don't you drop by the local supermarket? You could opt for some pre-roasted chicken with salad and hummus or if you have access to a microwave an Innocent veggie pot or so.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    yay cheeky nandos!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just use trip advisor for this secret town and then pick something healthyish, portion control or find a way to burn the extra. If its a seaside town then its likely to have reasonable sea food....
    Its also likely to have lots of independent cafe/ restaurants and a few gastro pubs.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If I eat out, it's either a bit of CHEEKY NANDOS, wetherspoons, indian or chinese... but cmon... a cheeky nandos.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Hey, that's a brilliant idea! I cannot get decent kebabs here. So lets find out if the British ones are good or not (I prefer German ones so far.)

You're welcome
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Lots of pubs and restaurants here have a sea bass or salmon option which I tend to think of as lighter. And you can always ask them to cook something in a particular way - grilled vs fried, steamed vs boiled. Depending on the pub/restaurant you'll either get blank looks or acquiescence - we're sloowwwwly becoming a place where eateries are happy to cater to particular requirements!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Most pubs serve reasonable food.

Lots of pubs are now 'gastropubs' and serve more than reasonable food. I live in a small village and have two pubs in walking distance which serve 'fine' food as nice as any of the eateries in town.
  • yirara
    Options
    Right, that was interesting! I tried to get something to eat in two places yesterday and found out they only had lunchtime service. After traveling the whole day yesterday I was too tired to find something else and had chili con carne with rice. Not brilliantly done, but yummy enough. Today I'll put a bit more effort into finding something to eat.
  • yirara
    Options
    And actually: I found it! Wood pigeon terrine with artisan bread and a salad on one evening and mackerel with salad and another type of equally yummy bread the other. Soooo fantastic!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you found some good eats!
  • tdillabo
    tdillabo Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When we eat out I mostly have Gammon steak with salad. I am from the UK. o:)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK. My preferences would be:

Subway - 6 inch turkey and ham
    Wetherspoons - any of the under 500 cal meals
    Boots/ sainsburys/ Tesco - snack pack of sushi and a bag of nuts
    M&S - mooli rolls (in the takeaway lunch time food section)
    Proper restaurant - whatever grilled or baked fish is on the menu. Or I'll stick to the starters.
    Yo! Sushi - crispy salmon skin roll and miso soup
    Frankie and Bennys - Spaghetti Oceana
    Corner shop - piece of fruit, cheese portion,
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Right, that was interesting! I tried to get something to eat in two places yesterday and found out they only had lunchtime service. After traveling the whole day yesterday I was too tired to find something else and had chili con carne with rice. Not brilliantly done, but yummy enough. Today I'll put a bit more effort into finding something to eat.
    There's a sizeable difference between cafes - usually daytime opening only, concentrating on sandwiches and light lunches - and places called 'bistros' and suchlike, which are geared towards evening as well as daytime opening. Also, chili and other Mexican fare is pretty much the one cuisine that UK restaurants simply can't get to grips with - at least to a seasoned American palette, used to what is practically a local cuisine in many areas of North America! British chili is miles apart from it's American version! There are truly very few places where you can get a killer Mexican meal in the UK, but TripAdvisor can usually zero you in on the good ones!

Glad to hear you found a classic British bistro/restaurant, those dishes are totally modern British fare, and often incredibly well done. Got a deep hankering for grilled mackerel now!
  • yirara
    Options
    There's a sizeable difference between cafes - usually daytime opening only, concentrating on sandwiches and light lunches - and places called 'bistros' and suchlike, which are geared towards evening as well as daytime opening. Also, chili and other Mexican fare is pretty much the one cuisine that UK restaurants simply can't get to grips with - at least to a seasoned American palette, used to what is practically a local cuisine in many areas of North America! British chili is miles apart from it's American version! There are truly very few places where you can get a killer Mexican meal in the UK, but TripAdvisor can usually zero you in on the good ones!

Glad to hear you found a classic British bistro/restaurant, those dishes are totally modern British fare, and often incredibly well done. Got a deep hankering for grilled mackerel now!

Yes, and this being a seaside resort with little to do due to freezing temperatures, ice cold water and lots of wind (that's my impression anyway, being based in much hotter climates :* ) there were many of those places that only offered small bites during daytime, and, by the look of it an enormous amount of tourist restaurants with fast food and not too well prepared things. Interesting. At least I found out what a pier is good for: running on even ground if the landscape is far from flat and one (points at self) is not used to it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a rule against running on the pier, but there were only few people there short before sunset. o:)