Endurance athletes/weight lifters

Options
jmarciante75
jmarciante75 Posts: 4 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I train at least 90 minutes per day. I met with a dietician in ATL who changed my diet to 50% carbs per day, while lowering my protein to 20%. Wondering what your macros are, and if it works for you.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    40C/30P/30F

I'm a bodybuilder and a powerlifter.

I don't really go off of "percentages" I go off of grams per pound of lean mass, it just happens to be close to 40/30/30
  • jmarciante75
    Options
    Been eating avocado and almonds daily...I use coconut oil to cook with, but having a hard time meeting my fat requirement. Do you have food suggestions?
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Endurance athletes and lifters are in pretty different camps, and I'd expect a wide range of macro splits there, but for what it's worth, here's mine:

25C/40P/35P
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ratios don't matter. there is no perfect ratio that is better for anyone or for any particular type of athlete.

• usmcmp
    Options
    Cheese, nuts, beef, whole eggs, pizza, ice cream, bacon.
  • jmarciante75
    Options
    You can eat that and not gain fat?
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I get my 1 g/lb of protein, 0.35-0.45 g/lb of fat and then fill in the rest with carbs. On heavy endurance days (I mountaineer and ski tour so ya know, 12 hours of heavy work), I fill in the rest of my requirements with carbs and fats (because carrying that much carb is too heavy and chocolate is yummy) and probably on those heavy days I end up with closer to 1.5 lb of protein just because of food volume.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    You can eat that and not gain fat?

How many calories you eat compared to calories your body burns determines on if you gain weight. Macros help fuel the body and micros are for health. To a degree food intake can help or hurt performance in our sports, but timing yummy foods correctly shouldn't hinder your training and won't magically make you gain fat.
  • andylllI
    Options
    I have also read that during high intensity activity longer than 1 hr you need to ingest 120-280 calories of carbs per hour. This probably doesn't matter on training days but does matter on summit days, ironman days, ultra marathon days etc
  • mauriscool
    mauriscool Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a sprinter and bodybuilder. I get about 70% carbs, 20% protein and 10% fat on the days I workout. On rest days I will probably be at 55-60% carbs and 25-30% protein. Some rest days I will increase fat up to about the same as protein, while keeping carbs somewhat lower.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    mauriscool wrote: »
    I'm a sprinter and bodybuilder. I get about 70% carbs, 20% protein and 10% fat on the days I workout. On rest days I will probably be at 55-60% carbs and 25-30% protein. Some rest days I will increase fat up to about the same as protein, while keeping carbs somewhat lower.

I'm a bit surprised your fat is so low, seeing as how dietary fat is important to hormones (especially in bodybuilding).
  • mauriscool
    mauriscool Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I'm a bit surprised your fat is so low, seeing as how dietary fat is important to hormones (especially in bodybuilding).

My body percent fat isn't very low. I would say I'm roughly at a 10-12% range. If I feel like i'm not getting enough fat I will eat nuts and seeds.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

My body percent fat isn't very low. I would say I'm roughly at a 10-12% range. If I feel like i'm not getting enough fat I will eat nuts and seeds.

10% dietary fat is very low, I wasn't talking about your body fat. Dietary fat serves an important purpose.
  • andylllI
    Options
    Well it would be an adequate percentage if he was eating about 5K a day :)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I lift doing mainly compound exercises twice a week. Love me some deadlifts and squats

I bike 3 days a week 30-40 miles per ride.

I eat a pretty much opposite diet you do OP.

I guess it gets down to calorie surplus in lift days and deficit on ride days but not too huge of a deficit.

A 40 mile ride takes off 2500-2800 calories depending on speed and hills . Got to compensate for that big of a burn off or lifting gets hurt.

As mentioned just monitor calories and get enough nutrition to support the demands on your body. It required a little more attention to detail IMO.

Totally worth it though. Straight fat loss was needed for me but kind of boring in comparison to now.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A 40 mile ride takes off 2500-2800 calories depending on speed and hills .

At 100 cal/5 km or 32 cal/mile ... you're looking at something more in the region of 1300 cal. Even at the old 40 cal/mile estimate, 1600 cal.

Unless maybe your 40 miles is all uphill at a good speed?

• professionalHobbyist
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

At 100 cal/5 km or 32 cal/mile ... you're looking at something more in the region of 1300 cal. Even at the old 40 cal/mile estimate, 1600 cal.

Map my ride gave me these numbers

Tell me if you think it is close to right

28.1 miles
    1:17:13 time
    21.7 mph
    2311 calories

Pretty much flat ride

For me that was an all out panting effort. It is a serious push to keep an average over 20 mph for 20+ miles

I'm in the first 90 days of biking but a lifter for a year so my legs have muscle.

The cardio is the weak link. I run out of breath before legs get smoked

If you have info to share please do

Message me a website or whatever. So much to learn about cycling.
  • lewissheldon125
    lewissheldon125 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

28.1 miles
    21.7 mph
    2311 calories

Pretty much flat ride

For me that was an all out panting effort. It is a serious push to keep an average over 20 mph for 20+ miles

I'm in the first 90 days of biking but a lifter for a year so my legs have muscle.

Off topic but i'm never entirely sure on the calorie output that Map my ride / Strava / endomondo give you - perhaps a heart rate monitor might give you a better indication of calories burned, map my ride/strava etc will have no idea what sort of effort your body is going through to do those rides and will be working off of averages, a heart rate monitor may give you a more accurate result. That said, if it works for you then it doesnt need fixing!
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    Thanks

Good idea

Sorry for the short thread hi-jack

I just really go by pushing myself

I will break out my old Polar HRM and give it a shot. I used it for jogging. Cycling is relatively steady state.

As long as weight is coming off weekly I'm good

My friends I ride with that are faster always push me anyway.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options

28.1 miles
    21.7 mph
    2311 calories

Pretty much flat ride

Nowhere close.

28 miles * 32 cal/mile) = 896 calories

Even if you were to use 28 miles * 40 cal/mile (which is older thinking) = 1120 cal

But somewhere around the 1000 cal range for 1 hour and 17 min of cycling is really, really good. :) It shows how much effort you were putting in.

2311 is ... well ... unbelievable. Quite literally ... unbelievable :smiley:Especially for a flat ride.

(BTW - I've been a cyclist most of my life and an endurance cyclist for 2 decades now. :) )