Weekly meal prep

Options
katiedmcrae
katiedmcrae Posts: 1 Member
Hi,

I am new to MyFitnessPal & am interested in doing meal prep for each week for my me & my boyfriend. We both work full time at a hospital & I will begin nursing school shortly, so we are looking for low calorie, low fat & low carb meals that we can prep ahead of time. We are both doing MyFitnessPal, so this makes things a lot easier. If you post pics with your suggestions, that would be AWESOME since we've never done this before.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• mlauster
    mlauster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is a great website for recipe ideas.
  • Billydlyon1406
    Billydlyon1406 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    56gqmamjle2z.jpg
    This is every Sunday Night. it is key to me eating healthy during a busy week
  • Sierrahaleyaz
    Sierrahaleyaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I bought meal prep containers on Amazon. I got 16 of them for twenty dollars. This week I made zucchini spaghetti, chicken stir fry, and Thai green curry soup. I spent about $70 at the grocery store for ingredients and it made about six servings of each, so 18 meals total. I recommend making a list of ingredients you need before shopping for each meal you plan to make and sticking to your list. This cuts down on food waste and cost. I also make egg "muffins" to have on the go for breakfast. You just sauté whatever veggies you want (sometimes I add breakfast sausage or bacon), then whisk nine eggs with a little dash of water. Then you mix your veggies in with the whisked eggs, and pour into a greased muffin tin and bake at 350 for 20 min. It makes 12 muffins and are a quick and healthy breakfast!

afovz3pthndp2.jpg
  • yasminannabelle1994
    yasminannabelle1994 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    56gqmamjle2z.jpg

How long does this usually last you before the food starts going bad?
  • GoChica
    GoChica Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great idea Sierra!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sunday is cooking and prep for the week day for me, too. My favorites include a lot of fresh fruit (watermelon, plums, peaches, bananas, strawberries, blueberries), fresh vegetables of all sorts, homemade unstuffed pepper soup (using Boca crumbles instead of meat... comes out to about 140 calories/1 cup serving), Dannon Lite Greek Yogurt (80 calories... have one every morning and sometimes as an evening snack). Arnold's sandwich thins (100 calories) are a staple as is Nasoya Lite Firm Tofu. I do eat chicken occasionally but keep it mainly vegetarian.

Portion containers are a must. If you have your meals ready the night before it's a lot less stressful than trying to pack something minutes before you rush out the door. And you can plan your calories since you will, of course, be weighing your food (if you don't have a food scale, invest in one).

There's a saying- corny, but true: if you fail to plan, you plan to fail :)

Good luck!!
  • Billydlyon1406
    Billydlyon1406 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    56gqmamjle2z.jpg

How long does this usually last you before the food starts going bad?

I eat most of it before it goes bad, but it last 5-7 days. Fruit goes a little quicker, but if it starts going bad I freeze it and use it for smoothies. It keeps me eating this fresh food instead of other snacks...
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like to make one pot meals (soup, chili, stew, curries, stuffed peppers - of all varieties), portion into tupperware and freeze. We also flash freeze (freeze directly onto a metal cookie sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag when frozen) things like meatballs, nuggets, burgers, muffin tin recipes (like pot pie or meatloaf), casseroles cut into portions, and burritos. We make sauces and freeze them in ice cube trays or in jars, depending on the amount we'd use.
    We also freeze small bags of pre-cooked chicken or steak, flash freeze leftover rice, pasta, and cauliflower rice.

We really use the freezer because then we don't need to eat the same thing daily or even the same thing within the house, but we don't waste anything. We have PLENTY of time to eat all of the dishes, and a lot of variety from day to day.

If my daughter wants some chicken noodle soup for lunch - bam, take out a frozen chicken noodle soup and some frozen noodles. Microwave until hot and add it to her thermos before school. If I want some chili for dinner, I just heat up my portion and add some chopped scallion, cilantro and jalapeno, if my husband wants chicken/zucchini nugget sandwich, he pulls those out and adds them to a roll, and so on.

For breakfasts I typically make a few crustless quiche "frittatas" or egg muffins or egg bakes. Depending on the number of servings, I'll either freeze them or just put them in the fridge for the week so we can heat up a portion when we want.