Spagetti Squash - How to make it delicious!

Options
corrc7131
corrc7131 Posts: 3 Member
As a vegitarian, typically my options are limited. I am trying weekly to try new things out there. I hear spagetti squash is delicious, but am not sure how to make it!?!?

I have a real beauty in my refrigerator with no recepie. Please help! Thank you!

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I wondered how others prepared it also, maybe just treat it like spaghetti and put sauce and turkey meatballs on it? I am not sure how to prepare it though, so maybe someone will enlighten us!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you just do a Google search, you're bound to find lots of great recipe ideas. Frankly, I like mine with just some butter and salt. Here's how to actually cook it: http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/ss/spagsquashsbs.htm
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Warm it up. Shred the inside with a fork; it will look like spaghetti noodles. Add sauce and whatever toppings and enjoy. :)
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've seen recipes with the pasta sauce...when I made it I just added tomatoes and parmesan :)
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I use a recipe like this one:
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/spaghetti-squash-i/Detail.aspx

And I tend to toss in any available cooked/roasted veggies in the house - adding or subtracting as necessary. I especially like to add sauteed mushrooms or roasted asparagus (if I have it!)
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is delish!! You can cut in half (which is difficult), clean out seeds, and microwave for 10-20 (depending on size). Or poke with a knife and bake whole for 30-60 minutes (depending on size in both cases). It cuts easier and cleans easier, but it tricky to hold on to because it's hot! Top with your fav sauce or just with some butter and parm cheese!
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If anyone knows how to make it delicious I'd like to know too. Tried it and it was awful when I made it.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half, clean it and bake it (350 for about 45 min) til tender. Scrape squash "noodles" into a bowl. Take about 1-1.5 c in an individual bowl, season with a little salt, garlic powder, butter spray or light margarine. Add 1 laughing cow lite swiss cheese wedge. Melt in microwave for 1 minute. Stir and add 1 TBSP grated parmesan cheese.
    Tastes like alfredo noodles :) Even my kids love it this way!
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Prick the squash with a skewer so that it will not burst while baking - You can bake the whole squash at 375 for about an hour & after it cools, cut in half length wise and get the seeds and fibers out of the center. Then use a fork and shred the remaining pulp.
  • SherryGirl
    Options
    I just cut it in half, remove the seeds and inside. Place it on a cookie sheet face down on 350 for 15 minutes and flip it over. Continue for another 15 or until tender, scope it out... Yum!:smile:
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I make spaghetti squash all the time!!! I LOVE it!!! I make it just like regular spaghetti with meat sauce (turkey, extra lean ground beef, etc) and sauce and my son LOVES it!!!
    I've also made it to go with stir fry - black bean sauce, chicken, veggies and then use the squash instead of noodles or rice and it's pretty darn good!!!
    I also found a recipie for shrimp pesto and spaghetti squash and have yet to try it...it sounds good though.

Totally love it, and it's just 45 cals a cup!!!
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I got this off of allrecipes.com. I've made it many times and its awesome!

Ingredients
    1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 1 onion, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese 3 tablespoons sliced black olives 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
    Place spaghetti squash cut sides down on the prepared baking sheet, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a sharp knife can be inserted with only a little resistance. Remove squash from oven, and set aside to cool enough to be easily handled.
    Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook only until tomatoes are warm.
    Use a large spoon to scoop the stringy pulp from the squash, and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the sauteed vegetables, feta cheese, olives, and basil. Serve warm.

Nutritional Information
    Spaghetti Squash I
    Servings Per Recipe: 6

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 147

Total Fat: 9.8g
    Cholesterol: 17mg
    Sodium: 269mg
    Total Carbs: 12.8g
    Dietary Fiber: 1g
    Protein: 4.1g
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I make it about once a week and this is how I do it (quick & easy in the microwave...lol)

Cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds. Place cut side down in glass baking dish with about a 1/4 cup of water....cover....nuke for about 10 minutes.

When done...let cool a little...then using a fork scrape the squash strands into a bowl. Then I add some jarred spaghetti sauce or sometimes I just toss with olive oil and fresh cut tomatoes and basil...

Enjoy...it's one of my favorites now...
  • Scubasab
    Scubasab Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! :love: Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas and recipes! :flowerforyou: I was also wondering how people make this. Sounds YUMMY!!! :drinker:
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    don't bake it--- it takes way too much time. just stab 5-10 holes in it and microwave it about 12 minutes. let it cool and them cut it in half and take out the seeds.