Dead Lifts

Options
HollyMGT
HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
Yesterday I tried one of Jillian Michaels' workout DVD's which included dead lifts. Obviously we didn't use heavy weights, just light dumbbells. She said something about dead lifts being a great move. I'm no expert and all I really know about doing dead lifts is that you squeeze your butt when you straighten out to standing position. Am I missing something? Is there more to a dead lift than that? Keep in mind, I'm not doing heavy lifting, just basic DVD grade moves.

Thanks!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    There's more to it than squeezing your butt. I suggest watching a few tutorials on Youtube. Also video yourself from the side, to check for back straightness. :+1:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    keep your chest puffed out and shoulders rolled back to keep your back straight.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    What are you lifting? The Deadlift is a specific movement that involves the entire posterior chain from ankle to shoulders to differing degrees. I agree that watching Youtube videos is a good idea. Also, there are several types of deadlifts that will focus on different muscle groups.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Yes, deadlifts will do soooo much more than just glute improvement. Hamstring, spinal erectors, lats.... lots of great things. With a light weight you may not notice it as much, but you also may find that you really like them and feel totally awesome if you tried lifting with more weight. :-)
  • rnegoro
    rnegoro Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKvoLu5Isk
    There are many variations and some hit the butt, but normally you want to focus on your core.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    HollyMGT wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Is there more to a dead lift than that?
    Thanks!

Yes. Weights heavy enough to make a difference.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How light are your dumbbells? My guess is that they seem super simple because your weight is so light. I mean, deadlifting is not rocket science complex but I am guessing that "DVD grade moves" are not a 1:1 match with heavy deadlifts. I never attempted conventional deadlifts with dumbbells but I tried RDLs with dumbbells and kettlebells and they just never really clicked but now I do them regularly with the barbell.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you should squeeze every muscle in your whole entire body when deadlifting
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am guessing what they did in the video is more Romanian or stiff legged deadlifts..???
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    To me, deadlifts feel kind of useless and underwhelming unless I have enough weight on the bar. Dumbells really don't do it for me at all. Btw, deadlifts are my absolute favorite lift, since my very first one. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do them with dumbbells, watch a few form videos. I've gone to some classes at my gym where they do dumbbell dead lifts and I have to go find some of the heaviest dumbbells in the room to make it worth it.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I am guessing what they did in the video is more Romanian or stiff legged deadlifts..???

If it's the Jillian Michaels video I'm thinking of then it was more of a Romanian deadlift even though she says stiff leg deadlift in the vid and since you use super light weights (like 3-5 lbs) it was really more about squeezing your butt super hard to lift back up.
  • jemhh
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

If it's the Jillian Michaels video I'm thinking of then it was more of a Romanian deadlift even though she says stiff leg deadlift in the vid and since you use super light weights (like 3-5 lbs) it was really more about squeezing your butt super hard to lift back up.

Yeah, that's more like picking up the toy room than actually deadlifting OP. Once you get heavier weights in your hands you will feel the difference.
  • HollyMGT
    Options
    Thanks guys! I did watch a couple tutorial videos and they were using major weights, so I figured that what I was doing with the video was pretty lame! Better than nothing, I suppose, but not accomplishing anything more than squeezing my butt (which does hurt by the way).
  • jemhh
    Options
    Thanks guys! I did watch a couple tutorial videos and they were using major weights, so I figured that what I was doing with the video was pretty lame! Better than nothing, I suppose, but not accomplishing anything more than squeezing my butt (which does hurt by the way).

I'm sorry, OP. I didn't mean that it was lame. I was thinking more of a continuum with very light weight on one end versus heavy weight on the other. All increased activity is good and whether you stick with the DVD long term or end up moving on to heavier weights, it's going to help you burn calories which will help you toward your weight loss goal.
  • HollyMGT
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm sorry, OP. I didn't mean that it was lame. I was thinking more of a continuum with very light weight on one end versus heavy weight on the other. All increased activity is good and whether you stick with the DVD long term or end up moving on to heavier weights, it's going to help you burn calories which will help you toward your weight loss goal.

No need to apologize. I didn't take offense to what you wrote!
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Agreed! You can always up the weight if you have heavier weights available when you feel the weights you have are too easy. I've done Jillian's No More Trouble Zones video with my 8 lb weights and it can be tough w all the compound movements, though generally more effective for upper body than lower body.
  • HollyMGT
    Options
    Agreed! You can always up the weight if you have heavier weights available when you feel the weights you have are too easy. I've done Jillian's No More Trouble Zones video with my 8 lb weights and it can be tough w all the compound movements, though generally more effective for upper body than lower body.

That's the video I was doing! It totally kicked my butt!