Runner's Feet & Sports Bra Problems - Recommendations would be great!

Hey guys! I'm a novice runner and I normally run 4-5 times/week with each run of minimum 5K or 3.1 miles.

I've been experiencing 2 problems which I hope you're able to help me with because running in pain is not a fun feeling.

1. The balls of my feet (both) hurt when I run since earlier this week. I took 2 weeks off my training and started last Saturday, but experienced burning, sharp pains. Any remedies to ease the pain?
2. I keep having bra chaffing that is excruciatingly painful especially after a 10K run. Currently I use a Marks & Spencer racerback sports bra. I've tried putting cotton on the areas that tend to chaf, but it's not working effectively. Any recommendations to reduce bra chaffing and/or sports bra?

Thanks beforehand, ya'll!

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member

consider insoles, or different shoes. or consider changing your stride. and see your doctor
    get a new bra that fits better. or get antichaf gell. me I'm a champion bra girl. sturdy and no chafing for me. but every body has a preference and a lot of it comes down the body I think. one bra works better because one girl doesn't want any bounce and no uniboob. another one doesn't mind some bounce and will take a uniboob
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    were you fitted for your running shoes?

I am not particularly busty, so I don't need as much support as some do, but I really like Lonsdale sports bras, 2 for £13 from sport direct at the moment.
  • cantikapr
    cantikapr Posts: 11 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »

consider insoles, or different shoes. or consider changing your stride. and see your doctor
    get a new bra that fits better. or get antichaf gell. me I'm a champion bra girl. sturdy and no chafing for me. but every body has a preference and a lot of it comes down the body I think. one bra works better because one girl doesn't want any bounce and no uniboob. another one doesn't mind some bounce and will take a uniboob

Does wired/non-wired sports bra affect how bad bra chaffing can be? Because I've been going back on worth whether a bra that allows for bounce is the reason I chaf.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2015
    Those sound like bunions in the making. Your shoes might be too narrow across the toes. Bunions are pretty tricky to deal with.
  • cantikapr

I am not cularly busty, so I don't need as much support as some do, but I really like Lonsdale sports bras, 2 for £13 from sport direct at the moment.

Unfortunately no, I wasn't fitted. I didn't receive much help from the sales staff so I took the one I felt fit my feet best. Bad call though. :(
  • cantikapr
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Those sound like bunions in the making. Your shoes might be too narrow across the toes. Bunions are pretty tricky to deal with.

Uh oh that's not good. I'll buy a narrower shoe next time. thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    cantikapr wrote: »

I am not cularly busty, so I don't need as much support as some do, but I really like Lonsdale sports bras, 2 for £13 from sport direct at the moment.

Unfortunately no, I wasn't fitted. I didn't receive much help from the sales staff so I took the one I felt fit my feet best. Bad call though. :(

possibly. I got numb feet from wearing trainers that were too small (ie my regular shoe size, not half to a size bigger)
  • cantikapr

possibly. I got numb feet from wearing trainers that were too small (ie my regular shoe size, not half to a size bigger)

Noted then I'll consult with the store personnel before buying a new pair of trainers. Thanks for your input!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    I find my bras start to chafe when they get too big. I don't run, but I imagine the high impact would make it worse. If you've lost weight, you may need a smaller band size. I've lost 42lbs. I started in a 40 band and I'm currently in 38s, but they're starting to rub a bit so I need to go down to a 36 band soon.
  • mbaker566

Does wired/non-wired sports bra affect how bad bra chaffing can be? Because I've been going back on worth whether a bra that allows for bounce is the reason I chaf.

I have some bounce but I hate underwire while exercising so I am wireless. I have not chaffed but I also have at most only ever run 4.75 miles
  • mbaker566
    kristydi wrote: »
    I find my bras start to chafe when they get too big. I don't run, but I imagine the high impact would make it worse. If you've lost weight, you may need a smaller band size. I've lost 42lbs. I started in a 40 band and I'm currently in 38s, but they're starting to rub a bit so I need to go down to a 36 band soon.

this is true
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Don't know about the feet, but Body Glide is incredible for chafing. You can buy it on amazon, it applies like a deodorant but you just put it anywhere you might chafe. I used to get bad chafing on my underwear and bra lines while running but no more! Seriously a game changer.
  • cantikapr
    kristydi wrote: »
    I find my bras start to chafe when they get too big. I don't run, but I imagine the high imphighly would make it worse. If you've lost weight, you may need a smaller band size. I've lost 42lbs. I started in a 40 band and I'm currently in 38s, but they're starting to rub a bit so I need to go down to a 36 band soon.

this is true

This has crossed my mind, and I think now I do think it's because I've lost significant amount of weight affecting my bra size. New sports bra is highly needed.

• cantikapr
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    Don't know about the feet, but Body Glide is incredible for chafing. You can buy it on amazon, it applies like a deodorant but you just put it anywhere you might chafe. I used to get bad chafing on my underwear and bra lines while running but no more! Seriously a game changer.

I just knew they had that. Unfortunately because I live in Asia, I'm not sure if they have that product available here. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks!
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    I second the recommendation for Body Glide. The chafing is worse in hot weather and i use it under my sports bra (Champion brand) for long runs, i also use it on the soles of my feet where they are a risk of blisters. Nothing like finding out in your post-run shower that you've got chafing burns in all the wrong places! Yikes!!!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    LaurenAOK wrote: »

I just knew they had that. Unfortunately because I live in Asia, I'm not sure if they have that product available here. I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks!

Petroleum jelly--Vaseline--works just as well, although it can be a bit messier to apply.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have had the ball of the foot pain, too, especially back in the spring when I was training for a race, but I only felt it on my right foot. I searched around on the internet and think what I have is called metatarsalgia.

I found that a common recommendation is special inserts for just under your metatarsals, but I have not had great luck position them in a comfortable way. If it flares up again, I will go see someone for professional help.

A few things that I think helped me included: 1) keeping my laces somewhat looser around the toe box so my toes are freer to move, 2) working on a midfoot strike instead of whatever I was doing before, and 3) increasing my cadence (counterintuitive, but it does seem to help).

A lot of these ideas came from a running form clinic at my shoe store. He recommended this site: http://www.goodformrunning.com/ I found it very helpful. I'm still working on improving my form, but at least I know what I'm trying to do now.

Hope that is helpful and good luck with that foot pain. It is the only thing I don't love about running!

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »

Uh oh that's not good. I'll buy a narrower shoe next time. thanks!

You want enough room in the toe of the shoe to wiggle your toes!

• catfg
    catfg Posts: 12 Member
    Sports bras from Moving Comfort are amazing. Lots of them are adjustable and full coverage. Hope this recommendation helps!
  • cantikapr
    Thank you all for the input!