Protein shakes

Options
Midway through summer I've decided to diet :). Going to start substituting a meal for a protein shake. Wanted the groups input on success with protein shakes and healthy recipes to make taste better. Thanks!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why would you drop a meal for a shake? You can just adjust the calories in the meal. I find eating much more satisfying than drinking, even when the calories are the same. The shake may fill me up, but I don't feel quite as satisfied. Maybe for breakfast, a msoothie with protein powder, fruit and the milk of your choice, but that's as far as I'd go. But, it's not really some miracle that will create weight loss.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I generally just make a protein coffee--1 scoop, two cups of coffee, one cup of milk.

But that's like 255+ calories and I could have a real breakfast for that. If you're fine with replacing a meal with a liquid, protein shakes are great. But don't feel like you have to do it in order to lose weight.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Me personally I use protein powder to hit my macros, but satiety wise whey does nothing for me, whereas Casein keeps me full for hours.
  • Geege29
    Geege29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm considering doing the same. I add chia or spinach or PB2 to my whey protein. It will be easier for me mentally to handle.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are for people who are lacking in protein. Are you?
  • jenelain
    jenelain Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No! Just trying to cut carbs and feel full from a meal. Heard protein shakes can be beneficial to weight loss
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    jenelain wrote: »
    No! Just trying to cut carbs and feel full from a meal. Heard protein shakes can be beneficial to weight loss

It all comes down to CICO. Personally, I like food, so try not to drink my calories. It is true that protein, along with fats keep you sated longer.
  • jenelain
    Options
    Thanks for the notes!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I like one protein shake per day as a snack. Keeps hunger feelings at bay and supports my strength training. I like to add 1/2 banana or some berries, and cinnamon or nutmeg or both to jazz it up.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like smoothies with protein powder. If I'm not hungry enough for a meal, they are great. I also love that I can fix it without dirtying the kitchen and can add a fair amount of fruit or veggies to it.

I typically make mine with frozen blueberries and its like an ice cream treat. Try it out and see if it helps you out. I'm moving away from unhealthy meats, towards more of a vegetarian diet.
  • louscott1
    louscott1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been having a protein shake for breakfast for years. They're quick and easy to make and you can include veggies and fruit to make them super healthy. I like Vega Vanilla Protein Powder with 1/2 banana and 1 c berries. That's only 220 calories and keeps me full alll morning.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes will not help you lose weight. A calorie deficit will.

I do however use protein powder if I need it to reach my protein goal for the day. A diet higher in protein allows me to feel fuller and less likely to go over my limit. I'll also use it for recipes to up the protein content.

But protein powder has calories and will add calories to your diet.
  • jenelain
    Options
    Berries, whey protein, and dash of vanilla extract. Better than bagel breakfast!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    My protein powder says it isn't a meal replacement and is not for weight loss right on the container.

With that said, if you are lifting, and want to replace a low protein meal with a high protein smoothie, it would probably be beneficial.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I use protein to hit my macros and to help my muscles recover from weight lifting but not as a meal replacement. I don't feel satiated when I drink my calories. I'd rather eat food. Really it's all about calories in vs calories out and you'll lose the weight. There's no real "trick" to it.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or meal replacement shake. Different things aren't they?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    jenelain wrote: »

why cutting carbs? Do you have a medical issue with consuming to much carbs?
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes to help me feel more full and reach my protein goals.

If you stay in a calorie deficit it won't matter if you drink a shake or eat a meal you'll still lose.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome protein shake recipes: https://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/

Personally, I wouldn't use shakes to replace a meal, I think it would be more beneficial to only use them on intense training days in addition to the food you normally eat.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I manage Carbs and Calories for results that are better than just Carb or Calorie counting alone.

As to Protein shakes, my only advice is to avoid Soy as a protein source. You'll see it in a lot of products but it is the cheapest source of protein and is not assimilated well by the human digestive system.