best macro split for lean gains

Options
Hello ! i am currently trying to built muscle and am new at iifym after just counting calories. So now i was wondering what you think is the best split for lean gains? (you can see me on instagram as jennachicpea) :) THANKS !

Replies

• EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Protein: 0.8 x total body weight.
    Fats: 0.4 x total body weight (minimum).
    Carbs: The rest of your remaining calories

This macro split is optimal whether you're cutting, bulking, or maintaining.
  • ShoneDaddy
    ShoneDaddy Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi protein low carb like they did in the golden era of bodybuilding. 45% protein 30% carbs and the rest of your calories coming from good fats. Keep the eating clean, avoid junk and processed trash.

[Post edited by MFP Staff]
  • KHS86
    KHS86 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ShoneDaddy wrote: »
    Don't listen to that guy, he looks like a feeble twig. Hi protein low carb like they did in the golden era of bodybuilding. 45% protein 30% carbs and the rest of your calories coming from good fats. Keep the eating clean, avoid junk and processed trash.

He's right though, does it matter how he looks?

Go 1g per pound of bodyweight, that is standard recommendation for bodybuilders, you can go even higher if you do roids.. There are studies done that says 0.8g per pound is enough as EzRemake suggests... But there is no downside to eating too many proteins as long as it doesn't cut into your fats and you still get a good amount of carbs to fuel your workouts.

0.4 x total bodyweight is correct as well, it is recommended to consume about 25% of your daily calories in healthy fats. If you go too low on the fats for too long you will lower your test.

Then fill the rest with carbs.

• ShoneDaddy
    ShoneDaddy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Taking lab results as the gospel is the downfall of a lot of people on the internet. I'm telling you what works on me, and on the people around me and has been working for lifters since the 60s. A slow clean bulk with high protein and low carbs is the best way to build more muscle and stay as lean as possible. Also be careful with these IIFYM people, 2000 calories of cupcakes is not equal to 2000 calories of lean meat/chicken/fish.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Taking lab results as the gospel is the downfall of a lot of people on the internet. I'm telling you what works on me, and on the people around me and has been working for lifters since the 60s. A slow clean bulk with high protein and low carbs is the best way to build more muscle and stay as lean as possible. Also be careful with these IIFYM people, 2000 calories of cupcakes is not equal to 2000 calories of lean meat/chicken/fish.

please take the pseudoscience somewhere else.

No one is telling the OP to eat 2000 calories of cupcakes, no one.

2000 calories of cupcakes = 2000 calories of lean meat; however, they are not nutritionally the same and one is making that argument.

and if you think IIFYM is eating 2000 calories of cupcakes a day then you are seriously mistaken.

how would low carb be the best way to build muscle, when it has been shown that the insulin spike created by carbs signals the body to start building muscle?

so nothing has changed in nutritional science since the 60's, really?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You realize there have been a lot of advancements since the 1960's right? Just because it "works" for you does not mean that there are not more optimal routes to take... but you wouldn't know since you've never tried. Instead, you shun it due to your own false perceptions.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

It is clear that you do not know what IIFYM is.

OP, follow the advice of EzRemake.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    EzRemake wrote: »

This is the right answer, OP.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ...I've tried all types of diets and know what works from real life experience, not the internet. ...
    lol
    21 year old talking about "real life experience".
    Lean gains require time. Hit your protein and fat minimums, keep your calorie surplus low, have patience.
  • lauramillat
    lauramillat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Is there a minimum gram amount for carbs compared to bodyweight?
  • megablackk1d
    megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What works for me is 50% carb, 30% protein, and 20% fat
  • ndj1979
    Options
    reasonle wrote: »

usually protein and fats are minimums and you fill in rest with carbs...

at least, I think that is what you are asking...
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    No.

As EZRemake mentioned:
  • angua1234
    angua1234 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

If you're changing (losing in my case) weight, do you calculate based on current weight, goal weight, or something in-between? Since I'm dropping fairly rapidly rn does that mean that next week I should eat less protein than this week?

• LolBroScience
    edited July 2015
    Options
    angua1234 wrote: »

If you're changing (losing in my case) weight, do you calculate based on current weight, goal weight, or something in-between? Since I'm dropping fairly rapidly rn does that mean that next week I should eat less protein than this week?

It depends on the method... you will set calories first, and then break down the macros with the above figures or close numbers around them to fit into that caloric goal.

Keep your calories as high as possible while still losing as a reasonable pace.
  • lauramillat
    Options
    Well, not exactly what I was asking. I prefer to eat low to moderate carb intake, it just agrees with me better. So I was trying to see if there is a minimum gram amount I should be eating in order to still gain.

But, I have also read that women can eat low carb more "easily" than men and still gain?
  • lauramillat
    Options
    And... because I have been eating "low carb" for so long, I can't remember how to not eat that way!
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Well, not exactly what I was asking. I prefer to eat low to moderate carb intake, it just agrees with me better. So I was trying to see if there is a minimum gram amount I should be eating in order to still gain.

But, I have also read that women can eat low carb more "easily" than men and still gain?

This doesn't make much sense. You only gain weight while in a caloric surplus regardless of it is low carb, high carb, or somewhere in between.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

There are no minimums for carbs; it's going to mostly be personal preference. Many people find that they have more energy with higher carb, and the insulin spike can help with muscle growth in people bulking. But, if you prefer moderate to low carb and don't find it affecting your performance, I don't know that it would matter all that much. You'll still gain as long as you are in a surplus.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

There are no minimums for carbs; it's going to mostly be personal preference. Many people find that they have more energy with higher carb, and the insulin spike can help with muscle growth in people bulking. But, if you prefer moderate to low carb and don't find it affecting your performance, I don't know that it would matter all that much. You'll still gain as long as you are in a surplus.

this...