Avocado

Options
elos18
elos18 Posts: 38 Member
How do you eat yours?! I've only ever had avocado as guac (never liked it, but now I'm giving it another go!) so I'm looking for some simple ways to use it? Or things it goes well with?

Replies

• Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like adding it to bean salads, regular salads, plain or with a sprinkle of lemon juice, with fish, on top of roasted sweet potato, on a sandwich in lieu of mayo.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Alone with salt and pepper
    On toast with tomatoes and melted cheese
    With smoked salmon
    Mixed with tuna as a sandwich filler
    Stuffed Peruvian style - http://www.chewoutloud.com/2015/05/04/stuffed-avocado-shrimp-salad-peruvian-palta-rellena/

And here's a load of other great sounding ideas that I'm now going to have to try..
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/avocado
  • hlnebel
    hlnebel Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads is avocado chunks, cucumber chunks, and a dressing made of soy sauce, rice vinegar and honey.
  • thecookingnurse
    thecookingnurse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love on salads or with just salt!
  • metalmadlynn
    metalmadlynn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat them everyday. 1/4 of one in my morning smoothie. I eat them along side meals instead of dressings and sauces. I love the creamy texture.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1/2 an avocado with 1/2 cup cottage cheese topped with garlicpowder, a lil bit of salt and pepper
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Love it in just about any salad. Great with tuna. I haven't had it in awhile but a fried egg, rice, cheese, avocado, black beans, maybe some salsa or cholula suace.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    We eat this recipe all the time during the summer (but if you use OJ, cut the amount - I use a few tablespoons of lime juice usually).

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/avocado-corn-chowder-chicken
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I love it spread or sliced on sandwiches; diced up and added to any Mexican dish (on tacos or enchiladas, on a Mexican casserole, etc.); mixed into tuna or chicken salad instead of mayo; fry a sunny-side up egg and put it in half an avocado and eat it with a fork; I dip carrots in a mashed avocado; pretty much any way possible!
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    with a spoon
  • annac1956
    annac1956 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat fried in coconut oil or kerrygold butter. The taste is great! :p Im on LCHF woe :)
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    No joke, I am topping my buffalo burger tonight with avocado. It really gives a great compliment to any meat.
  • pjwoodhouse
    pjwoodhouse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There's no bad way to eat one! :) I recently discovered cut into chunks and added to chicken salad is pretty tasty. But usually I just eat them with salt.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I love it on sandwiches, burgers, sliced with salt, on crackers, spread on buttered toast, avocado salsa (with chopped bell peppers/jalapeno/onion/tomato, cilantro, and lime juice). drool.....
  • Kanilea2
    Kanilea2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Best way, cut it in half remove the pit, slice it into cubes, salt/pepper and eat with a spoon. YUM! That and cottage cheese is a great breakfast or dinner!
    I like using half of the cubes (scoop um out with a spoon) on top of Quinoa/black bean/sauteed vege bowl, especially if I make it spicy, a great cooling addition!
    I like avacado much better than guac :)
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I put it on burgers and sandwiches or eat it sliced with a little bit of salt and lemon.

Or cut it in half and put a raw egg in each half. That's a power breakfast!
  • youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! I use them in salads, on top of chili, sliced on sandwiches and burgers, mashed up on toast with an egg. I also love to mash half an avocado and mix it with tuna instead of mayo, add a little salt and pepper. Plain is good also.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I make a salad with avocado, mango, and red onion with a lime vinaigrette. Also I like to cut them in half, scoop of little out to make room, then crack an egg into it. Bake in a 425 degree for 15 to 20 minutes. Top with a little fresh salsa. It's one of my favorite breakfasts. We had tacos for dinner last night and since I am trying to get away from eating tortillas I decided to try this with the taco meat. Again I scooped up some of the avocado to make more room then I filled it with taco meat that I had mixed with chopped onion, tomatoes, and black olives. I topped it with a little cheddar jack shredded cheese. I broiled it until the cheese melted. Then I took some lettuce in a bowl and scooped the broiled avocado out of it's skin and placed it on top of the bed of lettuce.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Love them. I eat a lot of avocado & cheese sandwiches.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to make an insanely good pudding with avocado, banana, almond milk, and chocolate protein powder all blended up.

Otherwise, I usually eat avocado on toast (with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and some lemon juice) for breakfast, or in salads and sandwiches.