Battling the boyfriend's sweet tooth

Options
Hi all! My fella is less on board with getting healthy than I am. He's all for eating what I cook and walking the dogs with me at night, but that is as far as his motivation goes. And his sweet tooth is killing me. I don't buy any junk that might tempt me when grocery shopping, and he just gets up and goes and buys oreos or ice cream etc. I'm all for a lil' treat now and then, but I'm human, and I don't like these things on hand.

So my question for you guys is - what are your favorite health friendly sweets? I know stuff out there exists. Most things I've tried have ... not been so good. He's not big on oats, anything with oats I have tried has not gone over well. I feel like if I have something home made and nutrient dense on hand, maybe he won't go buy those oreos. I tried searching the forums, and found nothing like this readily available.

Replies

• thop83
    thop83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've recently had plain vanilla Greek yogurt and put some cut up strawberries in it, tastes better than ice cream!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    How about leaving your boyfriend alone and eating fruit, chewing gum, flossing your teath, drinking a fruit flavored water, etc.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Work them into your calorie allotment for the day.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You cannot adjust his diet to match yours. You can ask him to get individual servings of whatever he is eating, if you find the temptation too much. Other than this, you need to plan what you are going to eat for the day, control your portions and plan healthier or lower calorie alternatives that please you, not him, because you will be the one who is eating them. If he likes something too, great, but do not focus on him, focus on what you like as a treat. Now, if he is literally trying to feed you his junk food or teases you about it, then it is time for a serious talk about his attitude.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If he's anything like my husband, he will never want any "diet" treats you may make or buy, and will ALWAYS want oreos and ice cream. In the past whenever I lost weight I would buy or make my own "healthy" treats and eat them in small portions while he ate the good stuff. But of course this gets old and eventually I give up and go back to eating the way he does.

This time, I made a decision to never try to substitute treats. He eats 3 oreos, I'll have 1. He has a big bowl of ice cream, I portion out a half cup and enjoy. We enjoy cheesecakes, pies, cookies, chocolate bars etc probably on a weekly basis together. I just make sure it fits within my day. If it doesn't fit, I either don't have any or I push out a bit extra exercise to make up for it. I'm down 28 lbs and weigh less than I ever have in my adult life. I never feel deprived and I no longer get mad/jealous/sad when my husband brings home treats. This is for life, right? Don't make changes you won't stick with.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    thop83 wrote: »
    I've recently had plain vanilla Greek yogurt and put some cut up strawberries in it, tastes better than ice cream!
    Drizzle some Walden Farms Calorie Free Syrup on here and you are good to go.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How about leaving your boyfriend alone and eating fruit, chewing gum, flossing your teath, drinking a fruit flavored water, etc.

This. Why should he have to change for you? Why can't you just control yourself?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack that seems more decadent than it really is; Outshine Frozen Fruit bars, 70 calories each.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why can't he eat your nutrient dense foods and the oreos? You need to stop viewing foods as junk, and you really need to stop judging his dietary choices as junk. You can have an overall healthy diet that incorporates oreos, ice cream, etc into it. There is no junk food, only junk diets.

I had about six oreos on Sunday night and I was under my calorie target, and hit my micros/macros for the day.

Also, just because you want to eat certain foods does not mean that he has to give up foods that he enjoys...

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you freeze the yogurt for 2-3 hours beforehand, it's even more like ice cream. Stir it once during the freezing time if you remember, or just let it freeze if you're lazy like me :smile:

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Weigh out a serving of each snack and stop at that. Learning how to do that is important for maintenance. Or you could buy lower calorie snacks for you to snack on while he eats his treats. Sobe icepops are only 40 calories. I also like those dole "dippers" - frozen chocolate covered bananas and strawberries that are 80-120 calories.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Let him eat whatever he wants. It won't make you gain weight. You're just going to need to experiment with what foods work for you and ignore what you know is bad for you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Let him eat whatever he wants. It won't make you gain weight. You're just going to need to experiment with what foods work for you and ignore what you know is bad for you.

^This. Just because you want to make life/dietary changes doesn't mean everyone around you has to follow suit. Just consider it a chance for you to exercise some willpower.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The OP is not suggesting her boyfriend stop eating oreos she is asking what she could have that will satisfy her instead of giving in to his junk food.

I have found Yasso Greek Yogurt cookie dough bars. They are only 90 calories and they are really good. There are other flavors but cookie dough is my favorite. You can find them with the ice cream novelties. Also the Cape Cod Sea Salt popcorn is really good. It's just 35 calories per serving.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The OP is not suggesting her boyfriend stop eating oreos she is asking what she could have that will satisfy her instead of giving in to his junk food.

I have found Yasso Greek Yogurt cookie dough bars. They are only 90 calories and they are really good. There are other flavors but cookie dough is my favorite. You can find them with the ice cream novelties. Also the Cape Cod Sea Salt popcorn is really good. It's just 35 calories per serving.

"I feel like if I have something home made and nutrient dense on hand, maybe he won't go buy those oreos."

^That part of the OP is what people are referring to when they say just let him be.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Well maybe he wont if he find he can enjoy a healthier snack just as much as the oreo.

But I know from a previous thread there are people here who don't believe in the support of one's significant other.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    We make banana ice cream all the time, although there is no substitute for real decadent ice cream. All about portion control. Just think of it as fuel for the next workout.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    You've been eating some terrible ice cream.

That said, Greek yogurt with fruit or flavored protein power can be pretty good.

That said, OP needs to worry about what she eats, not what the boyfriend eats. Just because Oreos are in the house doesn't mean you need to eat them, let alone eat them beyond your calorie goal.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    We make banana ice cream all the time, although there is no substitute for real decadent ice cream. All about portion control. Just think of it as fuel for the next workout.

My 7 year old has loved this since she could eat solids. It's her "favorite ice cream." She likes it with a little Nutella added in and I think it's slammin with just a half T of peanut butter.