Any tips on Gout

Options
I am 35 years old and have previously had gout only twice in the last 6 years. A couple of weeks ago it came back again i have only just got rid out it and i think i can feel it coming on again. Im booked in with the doctor today but the most frustrating thing is i am probably fitter and weigh less now than any time in the last decade. I have gone from 284lbs to 243lbs in the last 4 months but know i still have 15-20lbs to lose to get to my ideal weight. Just wondered if anyone has any tips of suffers with this condition, i can put up with it if its once every 3 years but twice in 1 month is a bit concerning.

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Reduce your consumption of foods high in purines (especially red meat, beer, whiskey, and whatever you discover is a personal trigger), stay hydrated, pay attention to whether over the counter medications or vitamins cause flare ups. There are plenty of websites that explain how gout works and how to reduce symptoms with diet. I had it a couple years ago as a normal weight woman, and did not have the option to treat it with a daily medication. If you don't have frequent episodes, a dietician might be a better option than medication. Good luck at the doctor!
  • mslavick
    mslavick Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As a gout sufferer, take the advice above from Vune (cherry juice also works as a natural remedy for some). If you continue to have outbreaks and they are coming more frequently, talk to your doctor about starting Allopurinol.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i take colcryx for something similar and it works well but otherwise I do try and follow what I found on WebMD

food and gout
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Two gout flares in 1 month is very concerning, and it's good that you're going to see your doctor ASAP. Be sure he checks your uric acid levels. He may prescribe drugs that help control it.

Your doctor may have already discussed avoiding purine rich foods with you. Some people are able to narrow down foods that tend to trigger gout flares, so it helps to keep a very detailed diary.

Your rapid weight loss may be triggering your gout flares by raising your lactic acid levels (which keeps your body from eliminating uric acid normally). If you've lost 40 lbs in 16 weeks, that's about 2.5 lbs/wk. It may be time to drop to a slower rate of loss, between 1.5 and 2 lbs/wk.

You may also need to reconsider your ideal weight. You don't state your height, but 225 would still be overweight for a lot of people. If you're under 6'6", you probably need to reevaluate and shoot a little lower.

Some other things you probably need to look at:
    • Are you getting enough water? Keep hydrated to help flush out uric acid.
    • Are you taking any drugs that raise uric acid? Aspirin can be a culprit. Some prescription drugs can, too. Discuss with your doctor.
    • If you're taking any diuretics for weight loss, stop. They can concentrate uric acid.
    • Certain foods, like cherries, are considered beneficial for reducing inflammation and moderating uric acid levels.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As you are undoubtedly already aware, certain foods such as red meat and some seafoods can trigger or exacerbate the symptoms of gout. Also alcohol, particularly beer, tends to be a bad trigger. I would suggest dropping these from your diet, at least until your symptoms subside, and then add them slowly back into your diet.

And, on the subject of diet, is there something you might be eating/drinking more of lately that might be a causative factor? One pint too many when you are out with your chums? These are things to consider when looking at your fight against gout. And you know it doesn't play fair!

Next, you don't indicate your height but, if you are under 6ft, then 16st/225lbs might be a bit too 'generous', especially if you are not well-toned and don't have a lot of muscle. 16st might be amazing if you are rock solid but, for the average guy, perhaps 14/14.5st/195/200lbs might be a better target?

This might not be a fair question with a gout flare-up but, what kind of exercise are you doing? If you are normally running, and your gout won't let you do that just now, consider biking. It'll help take some of the stress off the foot/feet. And lifting, crunches, etc should be included in your weekly regimen regardless as these are things that will help build muscle and, as an added bonus, ultimately help you burn more fat.

So... bottom line: If you are a meat-eater, cut back on red meats and seafood (think fowl (chicken, turkey, duck), lamb, and pork (yes, pork!!)); if you drink alcohol - STOP! (at least for now, and lighten up on it on the whole (beer has lots of sugars and empty calories. In other words, it'll just MAKE you gain weight in addition to making your gout worse.))

I know gout can be a real (very literal) pain and it makes it difficult to do a lot of things you normally would do. But, unless you conquer it and learn your own, personal, triggers, it'll keep coming back. And the more it comes back, the more likely you are to have recurrent flare-ups. So, get on top of it now so it doesn't destroy your life later!

OH! And, Learning how to eat right now to prevent things like gout and high cholesterol will help you to teach your future children to do the same so they don't have to live with these maladies when they become adults! Do it for yourself. Do it for those you love. It's just the right thing to do.

Good luck.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I absolutely, positively cannot link link my episodes to any food at all. Even with the advantage of having logged all my food, there's just nothing consistent about it.

When I feel it start, I take some indomethacin. This nips it in the bud and it never fully develops into the crippling ball of pain fiasco that it used to.
  • ReeseG4350
    Options
    I absolutely, positively cannot link link my episodes to any food at all. Even with the advantage of having logged all my food, there's just nothing consistent about it.

If you are not an alcohol drinker and other dietary factors have been ruled out, the likelihood is that your body simply produces more uric acid than it can readily process and eliminate. Sorry about that. Although, even for that, modifying your intake of the aforementioned red meats, seafood, and alcohol can help to reduce the incidences of gout. And, the more frequently you have flare-ups, the more likely you become to have more episodes in the future.
    When I feel it start, I take some indomethacin. This nips it in the bud and it never fully develops into the crippling ball of pain fiasco that it used to.

Indomethacin, common brand name Indocin, is in the NSAID group of drugs and, as you are undoubtedly aware, should be taken sparingly. We continue to learn more about these drugs and their side effects and it is not always good. Also, some people have terrible reactions to NSAIDs or they simply don't help. (Although herbal/organic alternatives have proven to be helpful in some patients who cannot take NSAIDs.)

Ultimately, every human body is as different as we are alike. That's why medicine is called a 'practice'. What works for one may not work for another. We try this treatment, then that treatment to see what works. Frustrating for patient and doctor alike.
  • ReeseG4350
    Options
    Just taking a moment to second what bpetrosky said, above.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »

If you are not an alcohol drinker and other dietary factors have been ruled out, the likelihood is that your body simply produces more uric acid than it can readily process and eliminate. Sorry about that. Although, even for that, modifying your intake of the aforementioned red meats, seafood, and alcohol can help to reduce the incidences of gout. And, the more frequently you have flare-ups, the more likely you become to have more episodes in the future.

Indomethacin, common brand name Indocin, is in the NSAID group of drugs and, as you are undoubtedly aware, should be taken sparingly. We continue to learn more about these drugs and their side effects and it is not always good. Also, some people have terrible reactions to NSAIDs or they simply don't help. (Although herbal/organic alternatives have proven to be helpful in some patients who cannot take NSAIDs.)

Ultimately, every human body is as different as we are alike. That's why medicine is called a 'practice'. What works for one may not work for another. We try this treatment, then that treatment to see what works. Frustrating for patient and doctor alike.
    Yeah, except for the fact that my episodes changed not one iota from when I drank a lot of beer and tequila at tailgates to when I didn't. Or when I mostly went away from red meat to chicken during my weight loss. I thought I was clear that nothing in my diet, despite knowing exactly what was in my diet due to my logging, could be shown to be different prior to episodes than when I didn't have an episode. If not, I'm making that clear now.

And, no, medicine isn't a "practice" because human bodies are different. Medicine, like law, is a "practice" because the word derives from the Latin "practicus" and Greek "praktikos" which mean "concerned with action or business" and "practical."
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    High uric acid can also be caused by "crash diets" which are high in protein. I do not have gout, but have high levels of uric acid and this is one of the causes of my kidney stones. One of the first questions my urologist asked was if I had been on a high protein diet.
  • woodhouse_j2
    woodhouse_j2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice I am 6ft 6" I'm a big unit lol
  • woodhouse_j2
    woodhouse_j2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The doctor prescribed me with colchicine and basically went through most of the things mentioned above about diet. I am on ramiprill medication for high blood pressure and this could be another factor contributing to gout. Thanks again for all the comments everyone.
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am 35 years old and have previously had gout only twice in the last 6 years. A couple of weeks ago it came back again i have only just got rid out it and i think i can feel it coming on again. Im booked in with the doctor today but the most frustrating thing is i am probably fitter and weigh less now than any time in the last decade. I have gone from 284lbs to 243lbs in the last 4 months but know i still have 15-20lbs to lose to get to my ideal weight. Just wondered if anyone has any tips of suffers with this condition, i can put up with it if its once every 3 years but twice in 1 month is a bit concerning.

■■■I've been there and you need to be aware of the foods that cause it. I got mine through excessive protein and veggies high in purines while doing Atkins many years ago. I've switched to ketogenics because it's high fat, moderate protein low carbohydrate. This has a severe case of diabetes in remission right now without any gout worries at all. But it's important to stay well hydrates too in order to diminish gout. Dr's can prescribe medicine too thst lowers uric acids greatly while providing antioxidant benefit too...■■■
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    There is only one cure . You got to chop your feet off . Just kidding. Check out Dr Mercola videos on gout. Very good advice
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    finny11122 wrote: »
    There is only one cure . You got to chop your feet off . Just kidding. Check out Dr Mercola videos on gout. Very good advice

Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpg

Dr. Mercola is never an appropriate referral for good advice. The man is a profiteering quack who preys on the fears of the medically ignorant.

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html
  • finny11122
    Options

Dr. Mercola is never an appropriate referral for good advice. The man is a profiteering quack who preys on the fears of the medically ignorant.

He seems legit. Ill take a closer look at his work and see whats his story. So much info these days , its hard to pick the best advice.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    The doctor prescribed me with colchicine and basically went through most of the things mentioned above about diet. I am on ramiprill medication for high blood pressure and this could be another factor contributing to gout. Thanks again for all the comments everyone.

careful of the side effects
    well, one main one. I avoided it by my rhuemotalogist said I was the only one. it can cause very loose stools
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

He seems legit. Ill take a closer look at his work and see whats his story. So much info these days , its hard to pick the best advice.

I mean, it depends on your tastes. If you would like your medical advice based on sounds science, I would avoid him. If you're the kind of guy who thinks seeing a chiropractor for an ear infection is the proper course of treatment, Mercola's your man!
  • finny11122
    Options

I mean, it depends on your tastes. If you would like your medical advice based on sounds science, I would avoid him. If you're the kind of guy who thinks seeing a chiropractor for an ear infection is the proper course of treatment, Mercola's your man!

hahahaha . that gave me a good laugh
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    My brother is the most fit person I know, and he suffers. He also likes beer. It's awesome if you can control it with diet. My brother tried and could not. Best of luck!