Why do you run?

Replies

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Oh lots of reasons!

1) I found it was EXCELLENT for weight loss! You burn so many calories. (I combined it with weight training for optimal results).
    2) Mental aspect - I find that some of my best ideas and daydreams happen while I'm running.
    3) Feeling of accomplishment. Crossing the finish line of 26.2 miles is an incredible, incredible feeling.
    4) It's a tangible way to measure my progress. Over the years, I've watched my 5K time go from about 34 minutes to 23:31 this past July!
    5) It helps inspire me to be great in other areas of my life.
    6) The community. I love toeing the line at a local race, going on a long run with an old friend who's in town for the weekend, or chatting with a friend who just achieved a new PR. I'm participating on a Hood to Coast relay team this year and can't wait!
    7) The cute clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!

And there are more.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    I started running after having my last baby because I thought it would be the fastest way to get myself back in shape. It helped me lose weight quickly, for sure, but I found I loved it. I think that I love the accomplishment of training and running a race well. I also love the fun (and not-so-fun) times with my running group. Whether we're grueling it out in the hot Tx sun or freezing at 5:30am in Jan., we are getting it done. Those guys get me to the track or trail every week in the wee hours of the morning.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Oh lots of reasons!

1) I found it was EXCELLENT for weight loss! You burn so many calories. (I combined it with weight training for optimal results).
    2) Mental aspect - I find that some of my best ideas and daydreams happen while I'm running.
    3) Feeling of accomplishment. Crossing the finish line of 26.2 miles is an incredible, incredible feeling.
    4) It's a tangible way to measure my progress. Over the years, I've watched my 5K time go from about 34 minutes to 23:31 this past July!
    5) It helps inspire me to be great in other areas of my life.
    6) The community. I love toeing the line at a local race, going on a long run with an old friend who's in town for the weekend, or chatting with a friend who just achieved a new PR. I'm participating on a Hood to Coast relay team this year and can't wait!
    7) The cute clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!

And there are more.

You shared some very good points, Miss Russell

Your profile quote is very good as well. More people need to start truly believing that about themselves.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited July 2015
    DavPul wrote: »
    Police trying to get me and hang these false charges on my head. As soon as dogs lose my scent I'm never running again

Best answer yet!

I run because it feels so awesome to run further and faster each time... Plus I have a 3 year old boy and another on the way. I want to really challenge them to a race!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    I was never ran a mile. Like many hated PE, etc. Just thought that I couldn't do it. I had a buddy who was retired from the army and he wanted me to work out with him. So we'd do the normal calisthenics, and as a cool down he made me run one day. We ran about 3/4 of a mile and I thought of was going to die, but thought "Oh $h1t, I just almost ran a mile". So I started C25K the next week. After I ran my first 5K I just kept going longer and longer. People look at me funny if I tell them that I'm a runner, and part of me keeps going for longer distances just to show people that running isn't just for tall skinny folks. I've run a marathon, numerous halfs, 10Ks, 15Ks, several triathlons. Right now I'm 4 weeks into 50K training and I'm hoping to do a 50 mi next year.

So, I run because I never thought I could and because people still think I can't.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    jchite84 wrote: »
    I was never ran a mile. Like many hated PE, etc. Just thought that I couldn't do it. I had a buddy who was retired from the army and he wanted me to work out with him. So we'd do the normal calisthenics, and as a cool down he made me run one day. We ran about 3/4 of a mile and I thought of was going to die, but thought "Oh $h1t, I just almost ran a mile". So I started C25K the next week. After I ran my first 5K I just kept going longer and longer. People look at me funny if I tell them that I'm a runner, and part of me keeps going for longer distances just to show people that running isn't just for tall skinny folks. I've run a marathon, numerous halfs, 10Ks, 15Ks, several triathlons. Right now I'm 4 weeks into 50K training and I'm hoping to do a 50 mi next year.

So, I run because I never thought I could and because people still think I can't.

Good for you. The 50 mile is one heck of a marathon. My brother has done it along with a 100 mile.

Looks like you jumped right in, once you had that "I almost ran a mile" moment.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    So that I can drink beer.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    I started running because I never thought I could. I wanted to finish the Disney Wine & Dine half marathon this past November that was on my 30th birthday, and I thought it would be great to start a new decade doing something I never thought I could do. Then the Wine & Dine became the Splash & Dash due to rain the ENTIRE race. That and some arch/feet issues kept me off running til I got some orthotics and now I'm thrilled to be back. Why? Because regardless of what I used to think, I AM a runner! =D
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I think it's fun. :wink:
  • Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    I am doing c25k. I run like a three legged dirt pig with no hair on it's belly. I sound like a sick hoover as I slowly chug along, barely running slower than my brisk walk. Yet some reason I got it in my head I would run a 5 k anywhere, anytime. I am past the age where ascetics mean as much as being able to climb and lift a person hundred and fifty pounds up to me while hanging on a ledge. That and running from cannibalistic pygmy's who want their golden monkey god back.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I run because I really like to drink beer and wine...

@kellyship17 Finally an honest person. :smiley:

I'm honest on my profile at least: I run for beer.

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    I am doing c25k. I run like a three legged dirt pig with no hair on it's belly. I sound like a sick hoover as I slowly chug along, barely running slower than my brisk walk. Yet some reason I got it in my head I would run a 5 k anywhere, anytime. I am past the age where ascetics mean as much as being able to climb and lift a person hundred and fifty pounds up to me while hanging on a ledge. That and running from cannibalistic pygmy's who want their golden monkey god back.

YOU stole the monkey god?! I don't know who you are or where you are, but I will find you, and I will eat you.... You can run, but you can't hide. BWAHAHAHAHA
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    I started running because I was bored with other cardio (walking, elliptical) and looking for a challenge. I do regular cardio for my heart, as heart disease runs in my family in a major way. I was like many people on here, I hated the very thought of running (thanks so much for that, gradeschool PE). However, once I built up some stamina, it didn't seem so crazy anymore. I gave it a shot after much research and it didn't suck as much as I thought it would. So I jumped into the deep end and ran a half marathon about a year after I started. I wouldn't even have thought it possible two years ago.

I keep running because it's definitely the most enjoyable cardio to me (after hiking or kayaking, anyway). It doesn't get much better than running in the fall when the leaves are changing. I prefer cooler (high 40s or low 50s), cloudy days to run. I've also found that running helps me to calm down when I'm feeling anxious.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    sunshine. outdoors. seeing what's around the corner. Strong legs. And the confidence of knowing that if something is going to try to hurt me or kill me it is going to have to run me down first....and that won't be easy!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I run because they said I couldn't. I run because I love it. I run because it centers my mind, relieves and releases anxiety, and makes me happy. the end.
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Love all responses!
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    in case my ex finds me
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    I run because I feel good about just being able to do something I couldn't do in high school.

I run because I like to eat a little extra on the weekends.

I run because someone convinced me to sign up for another dang race.

I run because I want to see what my body can do.

I run to relieve stress.

I run because I feel physically and mentally better afterward.
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Weightloss, bragging and food.
    I'll burn 500-600 calories on a run, thats a lot of food I get to eat and stick within my calories.
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Ok, that's all b.s. I started running because I'm an unimaginative simpleton! There, that's more honest.

Why do I still run? That's easy. I'm an unimaginative simpleton! It works for me so I won't change it.

Now that is pure honesty! Love it!