Biscuits n gravy

jensquish1
jensquish1 Posts: 502 Member
lay it on me guys... A healthy possibly lower cal version??? :) any ideas are welcome!

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Oh gosh, that's one of my favorite dishes. I haven't had it (*cry*) since starting MFP but I do know those gravy powder packets are pretty low in calories. Bisquick mix biscuits shouldn't be too bad either I'd imagine...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Not common where I live, but whenever I see it I cringe

It must taste better than it looks.... :unamused:
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Yum!! I have no idea about a low cal version. When the craving hits I try to get it as a side after a big workout. I figure that way it's a smaller serving and I'm offsetting some of the calories, right? :D
  • jensquish1
    Haha I love biscuits and gravy but it's hard to eat just a small portion lol!! I haven't had it in a long while.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Also lots of diners I've noticed (where they're absolutely the best) have a half order option on the menu. :)
  • jensquish1
    I suppose I should plan in a nice cheat meal and go out! Half size with some salad?? Lol
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Sorry, I don't know of any low cal recipes but when I eat them, I just make sure I have enough left in my daily numbers to accommodate.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited July 2015
    Maybe you could make some high-fiber biscuits. I don't have any recipes, but if you mix in some oat bran or something, they might have more fiber and lower calories.

I don't know if you're going to have much luck making the gravy healthier though. Is it possible to make a high-protein gravy? Maybe mix in some protein powder? It might not turn out well...
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    There's a ton of lower-cal recipes online...Google is your friend! Good luck in finding a good one! :)
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Eat it on your freebie day? o:)
  • jensquish1
    Thanks guys! I guess I was hoping someone on here has tried a good recipe. Google it is :)
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    If you substitute vegetarian sausage and use 2% milk instead of whole or cream in the gravy, it helps! But it's never going to be low-calorie. My favorite veggie sausage is Morningstar Farms, but you have to crumble the patties yourself. (80 calories a patty vs. 180 in a meat one.)

I'm not a vegetarian, but I used to live with a bunch of them, and this went over really well. Bonus: halal!
  • MillyFleurs
    MillyFleurs Posts: 57 Member
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Not common where I live, but whenever I see it I cringe

It must taste better than it looks.... :unamused:

Um, yes.

I don't know about low cal recipes, but I halve the portion to cut calories and have an egg or sausage with it. I don't like to waste food, so if I'm out I'll split it with someone.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    So many breakfast foods that are SO VERY GOOD but so full of fat!

Up for recipes also, wish I had one to contribute.
  • Malainie777
    Malainie777 Posts: 1 Member
    There're lots of healthy low carb biscuit and gravy recipes on the web if you follow a keto/Paleo lifestyle which consists of real food, low carb, moderate protein and high fat.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    It's no where near the original but still good. I made my gravy with 2% milk and instead of biscuit, I poured it over 40 calorie toast. It was pretty dang good... =)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited July 2015
    certain things just shouldn't be tampered with...if you're going to do them, just do them...just don't do them all of the time.

I'd rather enjoy a calorie bomb of true biscuits and gravy than some 1/2 the calories substitute that really doesn't even compare.
  • jamieb55
    jamieb55 Posts: 145 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    certain things just shouldn't be tampered with...if you're going to do them, just do them...just don't do them all of the time.

Agreed!!

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited July 2015
    I make my own gravy using 2% milk, so it's really not too bad. I sort of just eyeball it, so I don't have an exact recipe - maybe 1 cup of 2% milk, 1tbsp of butter (or any melt-able fat), and maybe 4 tbsp of flour. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat and then whisk in the flour until it forms a paste. Let that cook just a bit and then slowly whisk in the milk until it's smooth. Bring it to a boil and it should thicken up really well (if you'd like it less thick, just add a little more milk). Salt and pepper to taste. I usually also add crushed red pepper because I like it a little spicy.

I'm a vegetarian, so I eat it with veggie sausage, but you could certainly add any meat of your choice. If you're starting with raw sausage or other kind of meat, I'd probably brown that in the pan first and then add your butter and flour (or if it's a particularly fatty meat, you may be able to cut back on the butter or even go without).

I don't have a biscuit recipe. I usually just buy a tube from the grocery store or something, depending on what I think will fit my calorie goals. But I feel you, because I love biscuits and gravy. I pretty much had to come up with my own recipe because nobody has vegetarian gravy, but you can mess around with that base recipe to make it fit your calories/macros better. :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    If I want to make a lower cal version of this I use a package like McCormick Sausage Flavor Gravy Mix. I mix with 1/2 water and 1/2 skim milk. Comes out great and I sometimes crumble pork or turkey sausage in it.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 1/3 tbsp dry (1/4 cup prepared)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 15Calories 40

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 1.5g 2%
    Saturated Fat -
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 300mg 12%
    Total Carbohydrate 5g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 1g

jqtfo6fw97aq.jpg