Should I eat my extra exercise calories?

Options
so far this has really helped me stay on or under goal but not sure if I'm slowing down my progress too much

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how many extra there are. If it's just a few hundred it doesn't much matter. If it's a lot more than that it does start to matter.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I say yes eat most back, most people say eat 50% back, some say eat none back. Try one and see what works best for you.
  • mayalice1964
    mayalice1964 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    It really depends on how many extra there are. If it's just a few hundred it doesn't much matter. If it's a lot more than that it does start to matter.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. That way people who can't exercise...still lose weight. So, the way it's designed you should eat your calories back. However, calorie burns are estimates, some people log more accurately than others, some people have a lower activity level than they assumed....lots of reasons why eating the "exact calorie burns" provided doesn't always work.

If you are losing weight faster than your weekly goal...you should be eating more. If you exercise a lot.....you should eat more. If you feel run down or tied....you should eat more. Added calories fuel your workouts, and help your body support existing lean muscle mass.
  • mayalice1964
    Options
    Thank you!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    just eat if you're hungry, to lose weight you need a calorie deficit, so within reason the more you burn than you take in the better. I lost 90lbs without ever eating anything back that i burned and i don't understand why you would, unless you're hungry.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you work out weights and/or cardio and you don't eat some of the calories back you will feel it later. If you allow your body to become under nurished it becomes weak among other issues created by lack of food.
  • mayalice1964
    Options
    Thank you!
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I get 1500 daily calories which is enough for me so I don't eat additional calories for exercise. I have been on MFP for 6 weeks now with a goal of losing 1 lb a week but have lost 11 lbs. as I think it is working for me, I would say no but I am not hungry so I will keep going as I am
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. That way people who can't exercise...still lose weight. So, the way it's designed you should eat your calories back. However, calorie burns are estimates, some people log more accurately than others, some people have a lower activity level than they assumed....lots of reasons why eating the "exact calorie burns" provided doesn't always work.

If you are losing weight faster than your weekly goal...you should be eating more. If you exercise a lot.....you should eat more. If you feel run down or tied....you should eat more. Added calories fuel your workouts, and help your body support existing lean muscle mass.
    joolieb1 wrote: »
    I get 1500 daily calories which is enough for me so I don't eat additional calories for exercise. I have been on MFP for 6 weeks now with a goal of losing 1 lb a week but have lost 11 lbs. as I think it is working for me, I would say no but I am not hungry so I will keep going as I am

I would say a combination of these 3.
    Most important is that your net calories (MFP number - exercise calories) does not get below 1200. Anything below that you risk getting malnourished.
    That is why Joolieb's way works, she is increasing her defecit through workout, but was already at a reasonable calorie goal to begin with.
    Anyway, rule of thumb is eat back only half the exercise calories MFP gives you because it is often grossly overestimated.
  • mayalice1964
    Options
    Thank you! This really helped!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Recommend only eating back 70% to 80%. There's enough uncertainty in the calories you're burning and in the food you're eating that eating back most of your exercise and not all of it will ensure a little breathing room.
  • mayalice1964
    Options
    Thank you!
  • KateTVM
    KateTVM Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Did u lose all using MFP? Just curious as I'm trying to balance # cals in and out w this app... Thanks!! #brdnw
  • KateTVM
    KateTVM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    KateTVM wrote: »
    Did u lose all using MFP? Just curious as I'm trying to balance # cals in and out w this app... Thanks!!

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I don't log or eat back my exercise calories. I also don't weigh my food so I figure the extra calories will cover inaccurate logging (I do try to estimate high, though). Not perfect & not accurate but what has worked for me.