Biscuits n gravy

Options

Replies

• jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    certain things just shouldn't be tampered with...if you're going to do them, just do them...just don't do them all of the time.

I'd rather enjoy a calorie bomb of true biscuits and gravy than some 1/2 the calories substitute that really doesn't even compare.
    True... Very true.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The smaller biscuits in a tube are 50 calories each.
  • jensquish1
    Options
    bajoyba wrote: »
    I make my own gravy using 2% milk, so it's really not too bad. I sort of just eyeball it, so I don't have an exact recipe - maybe 1 cup of 2% milk, 1tbsp of butter, and maybe 4 tbsp of flour. Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat and then whisk in the flour until it forms a paste. Let that cook just a bit and then slowly whisk in the milk until it's smooth. Bring it to a boil and it should thicken up really well (if you'd like it less thick, just add a little more milk). Salt and pepper to taste. I usually also add crushed red pepper because I like it a little spicy.

I'm a vegetarian, so I eat it with veggie sausage, but you could certainly add any meat of your choice. If you're starting with raw sausage or other kind of meat, I'd probably brown that in the pan first and then add your butter and flour (or if it's a particularly fatty meat, you may be able to cut back on the butter or even go without).

I don't have a biscuit recipe. I usually just buy a tube from the grocery store or something, depending on what I think will fit my calorie goals. But I feel you, because I love biscuits and gravy. I pretty much had to come up with my own recipe because nobody has vegetarian gravy, but you can mess around with that base recipe to make it fit your calories/macros better. :)

Thanks!
  • jensquish1
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    If I want to make a lower cal version of this I use a package like McCormick Sausage Flavor Gravy Mix. I mix with 1/2 water and 1/2 skim milk. Comes out great and I sometimes crumble pork or turkey sausage in it.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 1/3 tbsp dry (1/4 cup prepared)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 15Calories 40

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 1.5g 2%
    Saturated Fat -
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 300mg 12%
    Total Carbohydrate 5g 2%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 1g

jqtfo6fw97aq.jpg

I'm getting hungry lol I saw the biscuits and gravy lays on my fb newsfeed and ever since I've wanted some!!!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    LOL, I may make some tonight now.
  • jensquish1
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    LOL, I may make some tonight now.

Lmao I was so thinking about it at wal mart earlier... But I think I'm going to save it for the weekend!
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    lay it on me guys... A healthy possibly lower cal version??? :) any ideas are welcome!

My weakness isn't Biscuits and Gravy, but Chicken and Biscuits (with gravy) I wanna cry but I think I would eat celery all day JUST so I could eat that for dinner from a local diner here.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I had to google this. In England it would be a weird combo lol.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mmmm biscuits & gravy.
  • jensquish1
    Options
    laineybz wrote: »

I grew up in Germany so when I discovered biscuits and gravy and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... I was like weird... But then I was in heaven!
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Options

I grew up in Germany so when I discovered biscuits and gravy and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... I was like weird... But then I was in heaven!

Just noticed you live in Lawton! I live in Norman :) Oklahomans love their biscuits & gravy. I'm pretty sure it's part of our state meal. Or maybe that was chicken fried steak & gravy....
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    For easy weekday meals I use packet gravy mix and add some "Better than Bouillon" Chicken Base. Bisquick drop biscuits and eggs on the side for some protein. For dinner I'll add a frozen chicken patty. betterthanbouillon.com/
  • jensquish1
    Options

Just noticed you live in Lawton! I live in Norman :) Oklahomans love their biscuits & gravy. I'm pretty sure it's part of our state meal. Or maybe that was chicken fried steak & gravy....
    Omg! How cool! :) I love that area! And yes you are right! Comfort food :) there are some gems for places to eat in our area!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    There're lots of healthy low carb biscuit and gravy recipes on the web if you follow a keto/Paleo lifestyle which consists of real food, low carb, moderate protein and high fat.
    So only keto/paleo eat real food?? Hope you don't fall off that high horse of your's. JS ;)
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    There're lots of healthy low carb biscuit and gravy recipes on the web if you follow a keto/Paleo lifestyle which consists of real food, low carb, moderate protein and high fat.
    So only keto/paleo eat real food?? Hope you don't fall off that high horse of your's. JS ;)

I'm fairly certain the cheez-its I just ate were very real. The leftover orange crumbs in my teeth lead me to believe I was not eating imaginary food.
  • Serah87
    Options
    OP, I love biscuits and gravy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Those cavemen loved their biscuits and gravy, don't you know?

• Serah87
    edited July 2015
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Those cavemen loved their biscuits and gravy, don't you know?

Must of missed that memo when I was out shopping, hunting I mean. ;)